• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Regulation on State Trail Stickers ?

MnIceman

Does any one know what this new state trail sticker is ? I was told that all snowmobiles are going to be required to have one just to ride the trails in this state . Something about money to buy Permanent easements for trails . I contacted my Senator by e-mail and he said that the Gov. signed it along with a DNR bill on June 30th. He also said something about $15 for each sled and $30 if your caught without one . Also that it is required of residents and non-residents . I checked the DNR site and there is nothing there . I did not find out when this takes affect and where we have to buy them . I really do not like the idea of spending more to ride than the license and expensive gas .

Yes, this is true. The Gov signed it into law on June 30, 3005 - it is effective July 6th, 2005. The state trail sticker has been expanded from out-of-state snowmobiles to all snowmobiles, including MN registered snowmobiles, operated on a state snowmobile trail. (The language limiting it to only out-of-state snowmobiles was stricken.)

Below is the modified statute, as approved from SF69, 2005 1st Special Session, Article 2, Section 32.

----------

Quote:

Sec. 32. Minnesota Statutes 2004, section 84.8205, subdivision 1, is amended to read:

Subdivision 1. [sTICKER REQUIRED; FEE.] A person may not operate a snowmobile on a state or grant-in-aid snowmobile trail unless a snowmobile state trail sticker is affixed to the snowmobile. The commissioner of natural resources shall issue a sticker upon application and payment of a $15 fee. The fee for a three-year snowmobile state trail sticker that is purchased at the time of snowmobile registration is $30. In addition to other penalties prescribed by law, a person in violation of this subdivision must purchase an annual state trail sticker for a fee of $30. The sticker is valid from November 1 through April 30. Fees collected under this section, except for the issuing fee for licensing agents under this section and for the electronic licensing system commission established by the commissioner under section 84.027, subdivision 15, shall be deposited in the state treasury and credited to the snowmobile trails and enforcement account in the natural resources fund and must be used for grants-in-aid, trail maintenance, grooming, and easement acquisition.

[EFFECTIVE DATE.] This section is effective July 6, 2005.

Quote:

I assume a sticker would also not be needed on club maintained trails.

I don't know that I'd make that assumption. Most of those club trails are state trails which the club is paid to maintain out of DNR monies through their trail grant program. I bet they'd need the sticker.

I don't know about you guys but I'm about to flip out if we keep getting jacked for fees (err...taxes) like this...

I would have rather seen my snowmobile registration cost go up. Now I have to find a place to put a trail permit sticker on my sled too. I really don't ride trails that much but I guess if there is snowmobile signage in the ditch, I'm going to have to pay for a trail permit.

At least the money is going back into the sport.

Thank you federline . Guess I was pretty close . I would have rather had the license fee raised than another sticker also. When I wrote to my representative and senator, I asked them where the money came from for building and paving the new " GichiGami" or whatever it is called trail along Lake Superior. I'm thinking it came from the trail fund which I beleive is some money from snowmobiles . The trail is also marked for "hikers, bikers or roller bladers only ". I suggested that they should have to have a permit to use the trail . Say maybe $10 a year . That way some money could be put back into the fund .I received no response on this . I have a cabin up by Beaver Bay and see a lot of people using this new trail . Makes me mad every time I see it . Snowmobiles have to be licensed and a sticker now,boats , jet skies, ATV's have to be licensed and even cross country skiers have to have a permit to ski state trails . I think it would be only fair . What's the difference if a family of 6 has to pay $60 a year to use the trail or a family with 6 sleds has to pay $90 a year. I've talked to alot people about this and have only had one person squak " NO " with the rest agreeing . But will the money go for what it is intended or get robbed from the fund to go somewhere else .I guess I've vented enough for now .

I guess I don't have to worry about riding to much this winter! I'll just stick to using my sled as a way to go out to the fish house and back while having some fun on lake while doing it. I think I'm going to be done too and I never really got started due to the lack of snow winters, kind of sad really.

The price of a snowmobile license doubled a while back to cover the cost of trails. Now we're required to have a trail sticker too? That must mean they're going to lower the price of the license, right? NOT!

If you do the math the price just doubled again.

I'm fed up with stickers and stamps. I believe the DNR can implement and raise the price of stamps or stickers without justification like they would have to do with licenses.

When you think about it it costs more to license and sticker your sled then your auto. Something doesn't smell right.

Yah, how many ditches are we used to just zipping through, and paying little mind to trail markers as state trails join up and leave from the ditch...? Now it could land you a citation. If you skip the sticker, and you and use ditches, be careful out there.

Now, here's a mind bender: What if the lake you fish is part of a state snowmobile trail????? I'd have to think that the lake is not considered part of the trail.

Yep, this is a case of more B.S.

We have had hardly any snow for the last what...4 winters? Maybe more? Now they claim more money is needed to run groomers? Yeah, ok.

I live on a major trail system and I keep tabs on the groomers because I do like to ride fresh trails. In 3 years the groomer has not been by my house over 15 trips. One winter it ran once.

I got my renewal form today.

$48.50 - 3 year registration fee (used to be less, they increased this to cover grooming costs a few years ago)

$31.00- 3 year trail decal (optional).

Total - $79.50

I guess they had to find a new tax after the DNR dropped the stud tax last year. smirk.gif

Quote:

At least the money is going back into the sport.

Or is it?? confused.gif

I don't like to quote myself but I would really like to know where exactly the money is going. How does a guy find out??

You would think that having to pay extra for the trail sticker would give us some pretty kick *ss trails this winter. Or are we really paying for the DNR to have a kick *ss conference up at Breezy Pt or Maddens next summer?

Hanson, sadly, I've asked myself that very same question.....often.

I can't honestly speak for anywhere but here in SW MN. But the grant-in-aid trails here are the same as they have been for years. I'm in no way dissin the local sled club as they do a bang up job with what they have, and they work hard at it. But, where's the $$$$ going???? I darn sure isn't going to the trails or to the clubs to maintain the trails here.

Hey this just hit the DNR HSOforum yesterday -

News Releases

Snowmobiles need state trail sticker (2005-10-04)

People planning to ride on any state or grant-in-aid snowmobile trail in Minnesota this winter is required to purchase a Minnesota Snowmobile State Trail sticker for their machine, according to Tom Danger, trails operations and recreation services supervisor for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR). State legislators passed the new sticker law during the 2005 legislative session. The law went into effect Oct. 1.

The trail sticker costs $16 for an annual permit and $31 for a three-year sticker; the price includes a $1 filing fee. The annual permit will only be valid from Nov. 1 through April 30 of each year. Anyone caught without a valid trail sticker will be required to purchase an annual permit at the price of the three-year permit, $31.

"Revenue generated from the sale of the state trail stickers will help fund the grant-in-aid program," Danger explained. "The additional funds will be added to the monies raised from snowmobile registrations and used for trail maintenance and trail acquisition."

The annual Minnesota Snowmobile State Trail sticker can be purchased from a deputy registrar or any of the 1,800 electronic licensing agents throughout Minnesota, by telephone at 1-888-665-4236, or through the DNR Web site at www.dnr.state.mn.us.

The three-year sticker may only be purchased during snowmobile registration at a deputy registrar office, through the mail to the DNR at 500 Lafayette Road, St. Paul, MN 55155, or with an online renewal at www.dnr.state.mn.us. A $3.50 convenience fee will be added to stickers purchased by telephone or online at www.dnr.state.mn.us.

Additional information about the state trail sticker, including proper placement, can be found in the 2005-2006 Snowmobile Regulations handbook.

Minnesota has 20,385 total miles of snowmobile trails, with more than 18,000 miles managed and maintained by local snowmobile clubs through the grant-in-aid program.

Gotta agree with Hanson & others - just another way to

tax us motorized users (who, after all PAID to have these

trails developed in the first place) while letting the

'tree-hugger' crowd (bicyclists, roller-bladers, etc.)

get off scott-free. Lets face it- a 'fee' is just another

word for 'tax'. Of course, you won't find any 'tax' on

the bike-riders who stole some of our trails from us.

I too am thinking of giving up the sport simply because

I don't want to continue supporting these leeches who

pay nothing in yet demand everything. Local clubs and

volunteers keep many of the connecting trails open

between major branches, by volunteering time/chainsaws

to the effort. If the state keeps pushing, we can (Contact US Regarding This Word)

well close those same trails with those same chainsaws.

Lets see the tree-huggers get through then!

wink.gif

they raised the license fee a few years ago to help in paying for the grant-in-trail program, now we have to pay a user fee to use the trails to help pay for the same program? my question is this, what is our license fee's actually paying for? its no dought our money goes directly to the general fund, and never see's the trails.

I would have been cool with a license fee increase, but this is stupid to have a separate sticker for trail use, which everyone uses except pro racers.

the land of 10,001 taxes.

Rip, Rip, Rip, RIPOFF. What's next. Road sticker to use your licensed vehicle on the highway?? They don't know what they are doing. Remember the stud stickers were $51 the first year then dropped $13. Now they don't have them. What a joke. Sounds criminal. I rarely ride in MN since they shut down all the paved trails to studs. I spend my trip money in Wi or Mi. Everyone I know does the same thing. Lot's of lost money. Remember how fun the Brainerd area used to be before paved trails and radar cops all over Gull? The Pickle Factory in Nisswa used to have a hundred sleds in the lot anytime you went by. Not anymore. Not for years. I'm still a MNUSA member but that's about it.

The D.N.R. just does;t get it. All the regulations and fees that they stick on a sport, fishing, hunting, ect. cost a area tourisum and dollars spent by the people who particapate in these areas. Remember, no new taxes,statement by our gov. he never said nothing about fees. I for one am about feeded out.