• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broad Head

I have a alpine micro. I shoot 23 inch arrows with 100 grain practice tips. What grain, width, and brand broad head would you recomend shooting. What is better 3 blade or 4 blade.

Very hard to argue with a 3 blade, 100g Muzzy. probably killed as many deer as 870's have killed ducks. I shot the NAP Nitron last year. Cheap. Performed wonderfully. Highest rated broadhead ever on Broadheadtest.com/

On the 100 grain 3 blade muzzy's, will there be a big difference in how the arrow flies compared to 100 grain field tips I'm shooting now? I will for sure practice with whatever broadheads I'm going to use before hunting season...I was just wondering what to expect and if I'll have to adjust my sights much when shooting the broadheads. Thanks for the tips!

I started something new this year, I only shoot broadheads, no field tips, replacement blades are cheap and this way you dont have to worry about changing your sights at the last minute before the seaon starts. by the way how much draw weight are you pulling, if it's under 60 lbs I would recommend a cut on contact broadhead like a Thunderhead 100.But of course it's only my opinion!

Rooster, what sort of replacement blades are you speaking of when you say cheap? I shoot 85 gr. thunderheads and replacement blades are pretty expensive, especially considering that the blades break often when target shooting (pulling them out of the target and arrow contact). This is not to mention arrow contact where a braodhead will slice up your carbon arrows. The other question I have is what sort of target do you have? My targets are great for limited broadhead shooting but if I shot broadheads year round, the targets would last about three months (I shoot a lot). They are not cheap either. Correct me if I am wrong but aren't Muzzy broadheads (hence the word broadhead) cut on contact similar to your thunderheads? I have never had to move my sights when shooting field tips and then switching to broadheads. I have had to make some arrow modifications but that about it (mostly fletching). I would not recommend that a beginner shooter shoot exclusively with broadheads. Start with field tips until you have good form and you are very comfortable with your set up. Just my opinion!

My target is the block and i have two of them, i just dont shoot at the center every time, and no the muzzy is not a cut on contact, the tip of the muzzy is pushed through the skin first by almost a third of the head before the blades start cutting. unlike the thunderheads. I only brought it up as my opinion. I myself only pull 60 lbs and I have had much better luck with cut on contacts. With me I have never had a broadhead take the same flight as my field tips so why practice with field tips if you have to change come fall. AGAIN only my opinion.

If you would like to practice with broadheads, your best bet is to purchase the practice blades. Pretty much the same as actual broadhead blades but are not sharp. Flies the same but will not tear up your target as much! Just a suggestion. I will still argue that Muzzy broadheads are cut on contact broadheads, not retractable blade broadheads (at least what the guys above are referring to). I do not shoot Muzzy's though so I will concede to the guys who use them! Good luck all!

Ok, sorry Rooster, I see what you are referring to now, I thought you were referring to retractable blade broadheads.

Young Gun! I have one suggestion about cranking your bow up two weeks before the season. "Don't" If you are planning on shooting 45 or 50 pounds, I would change it now, so that you can get used to it. I don't know how others feel, but I think you need more than two weeks to get used to a heavier pull. As far as broadheads go, I have shot the 100 grains muzzy and think it is the best on the market. I have been fortunate enough to kill a number of deer with my bow and the muzzy has performed well for everyone. Just to let you know I've tried and witnessed many of the fixed and expandables on the market with mixed results, but have never had a problem with the muzzy. "THEM MUZZY's ARE MEAN!!!!

Just my opinion

I'm a fixed blade shooter myself and Muzzy has some of the best. "BAD TO THE BONE"

Young Gun,

Since your shooting 100g field points, whatever broadhead you choose, you'll want them to be 100g also. Changing the weight of the tip, or the arrow size will result in you having to resight your bow. I'd also suggest setting your bow to whatever draw weight you plan to hunt with. Once your bow is set up and sighted in, you don't want to change anything.

O.K. I know this is nit-picky but an example of a cut on contact broadhead would be a snuffer or a wensel woodsman where the blades actually run all the way to the tip. The thunderheads, wasps and Muzzy's are actually "punch through" Broadheads.

Young gun, I think your going to give yourself problems if you crank the poundage on your bow up right before season. I do just the opposite I practice with my bow cranked up and then turn down the poundage a little before season...It's amazing how weak a guy can get while trying to draw in an actual hunting situation. Don't learn this lesson the hard way.

I have a related question. Shot field tips for practice late last year when I got my bow. Now I've switched over to broadheads for practice (3 blade 100 gram Muzzys) with a foam target because I plan to bowhunt for the first time this fall. I plan to switch out the blades before hunting and keep the others for practice but what about the tips? Can I simply sharpen them or make sure they didn't dull from the target practice?

Can't go wrong with the 100 Gr. MUZZY! I've been using them since I've started bowhunting and never have had a problem with them. Anyone use the CRIMSON TALON broadhead?? They look mean! I doubt that the curvature of the blades would effect the shot, but they look intimidating!

MUZZY

As mentioned, there are a ton of great broadheads out there. I can say at this moment I have at least 20 different broadheads on my bench and I constantly shoot them to see what will fly for me and what won't. What is proven to be a great broadhead may not fly for me w/o substantial amount of tinkering and visa versa. I like to be able to twist a broadhead on and have it shoot fairly close to where my field points are so I only have some sight adjustments to make, rather than any other rest adjustments, etc. As a note, I have had but one, maybe two broadheads fly and hit exactly where field points hit. Otherwise, most often the broadhead will fly just off to the left and either up or down from where field points were hitting. Albeit a couple inches or so, I still have to make a sight adjustment. Additionally, the closer the broadhead, in design/size to the field point, the less I have to adjust. Even if they're the same weight, a differnt length of ferrule plus blades makes for a different arrow flight.

I strongly suggest you shoot your broadheads a lot and at different yardages to be sure they're shooting well enough to simply screw them on and go hunt. Most will get away w/shooting them at 20yds out of the package but you will likely find that if you're dialing it in on a gnats (Contact US Regarding This Word), you'll probably have to heat the insert and get all the broadheads in the same orientation or they'll fly differently. Time consuming, yes...worth the time, yes. Peace of mind and confidence makes all the world of difference at the moment the shot takes place.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up getting muzzy 3 blade 100 grain at Cabelas for 30 bucks. I havent shot them yet. I like the way there constructed they're really strong and thick blades. This is my first year bow hunting so I'm really excited. Do you guys have any tips for me?

Young gun, the best advice that I can give you is practice, practice and practice some more. I can tell you from experience that you will shake uncontrollably when the first shooter comes in range. You need your shooting to be second nature and just make the shot. BTW excellent choice of broadheads. Good luck this season, and let us know how you did....in case you didn't know.....season is only 4 weeks away grin.gif!!!!!

I finally shot my broadheads last night and they weren't even close to as consistent as my practice tips should they be that far off? Thats a big confidents booster. mad.gif Less than a 2 weeks until opener I cant wait. Have a save Labor day everyone.