• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2005 Turkey Hunting Photo Contest

Attention Turkey Hunters

2005 Spring Turkey Photo Contest

Sponsored by Art Barbarians

Rules:

These are the ONLY Official Rules

No Photo Enhancing (Honor System)

Image cropping is permitted.

Bird harvested in the Spring 2005 season only (Honor System)

Take photo in field.

Take photo closeup.

Have weapon in photo (bow or gun) - not required.

Wear hunting clothes.

No sunglasses, beer cans or cigarettes.

Please only post images smaller than 800 pixels wide (for horizontal images) and 800 pixels tall (for vertical images)

Contest Voting Ends June 17th.

Prizes:

1st Place - S/N Artist Proof print "Golden Fan Club" by Michael Sieve+ $200 Framing Gift Certificate to Art Barbarians

2nd to 4th Place - $50 Gift Certificate to Art Barbarians.

Please Post Entries On This Thread

Judging will be held in another thread in this forum.

We wish everyone a safe and happy hunt, good luck!

Art Barbarians

goldenfanclub.jpg

First Place - "Golden Fan Club" Artist Proof Print by Michael Sieve + $200 Framing Gift Certificate to Art Barbarians.

Art Barbarians Michael Sieve Artwork

I think it would be more interesting to see live bird photos from the field. I have recently gotten a thrill not of shooting animals, but taking pictures of them. I get just as much excitement over a good picture as a good shot from a weapon.

Quote:

I have recently gotten a thrill not of shooting animals, but taking pictures of them. I get just as much excitement over a good picture as a good shot from a weapon.

But... that kodak paper is some nasty tasting stuff! The turkey would be much better than it's picture! grin.gif N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I'm by no means saying that I am gonna stop hunting for animals, I am just saying that it is a fun hobby for people to get into. I personally would think that pictures of live turkeys in the field would be a better challenge. Don't get me wrong, I am not gonna pass up a little turkey gravy supper any time soon.

I agree that a contest with live bird photos would be great, and do have plans to do just that. I turkey hunt and will take all kinds of photos of: Scarlet Tanagers, Deer, Turkeys, Crows, Squirrels, Pheasants, and anything else that strolls by my setup, and if I'm fortunate enough to fill my tag I will spend a great deal of time prepping the bird and setting up a shot worthy of entering....however I will not post any of my picts on this contest (conflict of interest).

I think if an outdoors man or woman only documents "The Kill" with a picture, they are missing out. Take your camera shoot away, if you get 1 out of 20 that turn out….be happy and post them, just post them on a different thread.

Of course there will be problems and controversy by the time it is over. But I figured the Turkey Season is relatively short and this would be a good one to see what works what doesn't etc. I would like to have a contest for a ton of different topics, my concern would be that if prizes, for a fishing photo contest, were too great then people would be more concerned with setting up a shot (to win a sweet prize) with a great background etc that the fish wouldn't the care and attention it needs for a quick and painless release. Its a dead turkey and if you shoot it in the rain and want to blow it dry with a hair dryer before you take your photos you wouldn't hurt anything as long as you do it before you loose the meat. (just make sure you don't curl the feathers with the heat, do a tester) But we will discuss all of the issues in detail when this contest runs its course.

Ultimately we want to let Fishing Minnesota Members decide what and how a contest is run.

I really hope someone starts posting pictures on this thread.............

If you ever get a contest for live animals, I will try to get a pic to enter. I understand this one being of the kill though especially as a trial run. This is a very good idea and I feel it promotes good sportsmanship.

Here is a pic for those wanting to see one wild turkey. This one is actually a pet "guard" turkey on my uncle's farm. I don't want anyone to think that I was able to get this close to one in the field yet, but I am working on it. Hopefully the truely wild turkey shot will be coming up soon. A couple fields near the house are supporting good populations of wild birds.

img0051a8iz.th.jpg

Thanks guys! Trying to get a picture in that fog turned out to be tougher than I imagined. I shot 14 pics at various distances and angles. Any picture taken from more than 5-7 feet away "washed out" with the fog reflecting the flash from the camera back at me. Suspecting that may be a possibility, I took several really close shots, and those were the only ones that came back from processing looking good. The best of the bunch were taken when I was closer to the ground, where there was less fog.

Captain BRK... When I saw your turkey picture I thought to myself (tounge in cheek) you need to find a better pose! ;-0

All the pictures look great but Jackpines with the fog is awesome... Like the cover of an old Life magazine or something. Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo