• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hey Ice Team Guys....

Captain B.R.K

Question: How good is the blue suit (ice armor) that came out this year?

Don't understand why they didn't go with Gore-tex....instead they went with Tactel fabric?!?!

Are they worth the $$$$???

Wondering if it would be worth putting on the ole christmas list confused.gif

i looked at it yesterday for the first time, i will say it does look to be very nice suit, of good quality. i was wondering the same thing about the waterproof material though.

hey captain.......they have a few sets at scheels if you want to look.

You can buy ski pants that are waterproof and windproof and they will be alot cheaper. I bought a pair at Galyans for $40. last year. I kneeled on wet ice and never got wet or cold. I just wear a pair of jean until it reaches zero than wear insulated jeans. Legs never get cold. You can go to sierra trading post and find name brand stuff cheaper than most places if your looking for higher end stuff.

Interesting......I was out on the iceteam site and I see a lot of posts from the Sr. members on where the product can be bought or cost of the outfit.

BUT no one is willing to step up to the plate to talk about the make of the product and how it stacks up against competitor stuff.

dude - it's because nobody knows yet! The ice armour suit is brand new this year. It's been in testing for a couple years by some of the Iceteam main guys, Genz, etc. I haven't seen it yet, but I have to believe it's a good product. I too wish it was goretex, but it has some pretty awesome features going for it.

From what I know, these suits are basically the same as when Stearns made them for the ice team. I believe they then bought the rights to the suit from stearns to incorporate their own ideas. Basically I have one friend who owns an older style when they were made by stearns and he swears by it and after looking at the new style he said there is more features and it seems to be of better quality. I do not know what they use for waterproofing, but I believe it is wind and waterproof. But I do think you are paying a bit just for the name of the product.

For myself, I just got with a columbia style parka and a pair of gore tex bibs I bought on sale last year from cabelas. Both are black, for added heat on them clear bone chilling days. Last year, the worst weather I fished in was -25 straight temps with another 10 to 15 degrees colder with the wind chill. My suit held up fine and after being in my portable with the heater on, I still had to shed the parka.

I own a suit. I ordered it from ClamCorp.com a few weeks back. The sizing runs big so it's best to try some on 1st. I was able to try it on at Triangle Sports in IL before I made the purchase but my friend also bought a suit in the same size and they only had 1 in large. About the quality it seems like it will be nice. I can't say about warmth yet as it's still 39 today in WI. The zippers are large and this suit has pockets everywhere. I own a gortex suit for summer fishing and I would say it stacks up. The padding on the rear and knees is about 1/2" thick and should work well. As for how it will hold up I'll find out soon but hanging in my garage it seems real nice. Hope this helps. Jeff

For $80 more, you can get cabelas guidewear. To me it would be a no brainer. Gortex and lifetime warranty on zippers, waterproofing, etc. Otherwise, I would go with the carhardt gear. That kind of money for something that's not gore-tex is ridiculous.

Well, if these suits are good and become really popular, I hope they offer up different colors, patterns, and styles.

I don't know if I could stomach an entire lake of icefisherman all dressed in blue suits. Yikes! It would be like rifle season on the ice, everyone dressed in orange, but in this case- blue! grin.gif

I haven't seen the suits yet.But I can say that I used to be concerned about buying Gore Tex material knock offs.

I was a little shy of cash and went with Ganders H2O gear a few years ago and I would have to say it has held up just as good as my previous Gore Tex gear. I use it a lot and all seasons,layering fleece under for the winter. I even washed it about three times a year in the washer, and worst yet...into the dryer it went every time. Well it did finnaly give out. But I was immpressed that it took that abuse for three seasons.

I guess if I really wanted to get the Ice Team suit, i wouldn't shy away just because it was not Gore Tex.

I don't disagree with Dennis. I have friends who use the Gore-tex off shoots. In fact, my duck hunting gear isn't gore-tex and it works great. I just think for $300 it should be. Otherwise, there are much more affordable options out there, same quality, for less dough.

If its not waterproof I wouldnt spend $300 to use it in the winter. I just got Carhart Extremes and man are they great! I got my bibs for $89 at L&M in Rapids. Well worth it. They arent waterproof but I dont need that in the winter. I have some of Ganders Gortex Bibs and they were only $70. XXXL Talls. So $300 for gear that isnt gortex or waterproof is too rich for my blood.

I guess this is the first season that the stuff is truely being marketed by Clam Corps. I agree, for $300 for the suit- I think it should be Gore-tex.

The guys on ICETEAM say that it was made particular to the cold,wind, wetness of an icefishing junkie. Genz, Clark, and Fabian have been coming up with quality inventions - so why not go with Gore-tex on the stuff.

I put a suit on my Santa list, so if I get one I'll definately keep you guys posted. grin.gif

Personally I think a guy is better off wearing a Quad Parka and bibs. You can use it for multiple seasons and it is made from gore. It would be a waste of money for me to buy a suit like that. If wearing blue makes a guy look like a better fisherman, I quit!

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I have a Columbia waterproof Parka and Pants that cost $189 total.

It's one year old and I wear it year round. definitely getting my moneys worth out of it. The same Jacket you see in my Avatar is wind proof, waterproof and keeps me warm in every Ice Fishing condition I faced last year. Proper layering including a little fleece did the trick just fine.

I also wore it this summer as a rainsuit.

Stop at the Medford Outlet Mall and check out the Columbia Outlet. They have some good stuff priced right.

Come on bklimek- don't you know it's Kewl to be blue:)

If the ice suits that came out this year can be a dual use suit- then all the better. Otherwise to have $300 in a closet for 6 months of the year- I might as well buy a $500 hanger rod to hang it on laugh.gif