• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polarized Sunglasses

BradB

Question

I recently had laser eye surgery and now face a future of being glasses-free. I will need, however, to buy a new pair of non-prescription polarized sunglasses for fishing. I looked at all the offers that Cabalas has on their HSOforum and was a bit taken aback. There are so many lens colors, styles, and price ranges I don't really know what the key functional differences.

What is the best shade and style of polarized sunglasses to wear for Minnesota fishing? I assume, not blue. Also, any preferences between glass and polycarbonate? I'd appreciate any advice you might have about protecting my eyes from UV, wind, grit, and of course seeing fish or fish weed lines.

Thanks

12 answers to this question

Another vote for the Costa Del Mars... awesome glasses. I myself have 2 pair of the Fathoms. 1 is in a grey lense the other is Amber... I wear the amber for low light situations and the greys on very bright days. If I only bought one, it would be the amber, only becuase it seems like there are more days that its clowdy.

Most bass fisherman agree that the best lens color in clear water is amber. Amber lenses highlight green colors, which helps to idenitfy weed structure and fish under the water. Smoke lenses work best in stained water. I think wrap around lenses are a necessity because they keep the sunlight from comming through the sides and top of the glasses, and also prevent the windblast from running the boat at high speeds. I highly recommend H2Optics because they weigh under 1 ounce and you can fish with them all day long. In my opinion they are the best value for the price. They can be found for around $60, and I bought mine for over $100 4 years ago. I also own a pair of costa del mar triple tail glasses. They are not as lightweight but have higher quality lenses and frames. Costas have many more stylish lens and frame configurations but are higher priced. They have a ton of options including prescription lenses. I got my dad some polarized costa del mar triple tail frames with a progressive bi-focal lens for his birthday this summer. He had some difficulty with distances at first but now he won't fish without them. He can tie knots much easier and protects his eyes at the same time.

A few things to consider.....Glass lenses are heavier and less impact resistant than polycarbonate lenses, but scratch less. Costa's are great from what i hear, but by far the best lenses you can get Maui Jim's. They are the industry standard for excellence. The lenses have 7 layers of protection (polarization, bimirror, antireflection, etc.). You will pay a higher price if you go this route however. I believe it a to be a waste to buy a quality pair of polarized sunglasses if they're not wraps. Wraps will cut out light/reflections from the side that cause glare, eye strain, and not to mention wind that can dry your eyes (especially a concern for someone like yourself following lasix surgery). I have found the perfect pair of sunglasses for myself. They are Nike interchange sunglasses. They allow you to exchange different lenses in a second and are extremely light weight. The best thing about them is their comfort, i can wear them all day and not realize they are on. Just my two cents. Good Luck

- WV -

Well do you want to spend a lot of money or just a little bit?

If you want to spend a fair amount on some glasses go with either Costas, Maui's, Oakley, or even Native.

I went Native polarized glasses.

I do not regret buying these either. I got the ones that came with a pair of polarized lens and 3 other lens also (style: Dash). I got what they call a green (looks like a dark green) polarized glasses that came with a Orange, Yellow, and Clear interchangeable lens. Only thing bad is the other lens are not polarized but then the price would be $300 instead of $115. Another thing is these lens are not glass but they have a high scratch resistance coating on them. I have dropped my glasses about a dozen times this year on gravel, cement or somthing hard. I dont have a stratch in them yet. And if I did they have a lifetime warranty on them so if they get sratched just send the lens in and get new ones. (Thats what sold me right there!)

They also have different styles that are not interchangeable too.

But all the brands I listed are great sunglasses just choose what you like to wear the best.

I had my laser eye surgery two years ago and I faced the same issues. I agree with a lot of what has already been stated. For me, it came down to the comfort of the frame and lens quality. Both of which are very important but also very different from person to person.

I have two pair of Maui Jims that I JUST LOVE. They fit my face perfect and the lens quality is best I have ever owned. However, I have not owned every pair of sunglasses mentioned on this forum...so take it for what its worth. I do believe you get what you pay for...so the cheaper the glasses..the more likely your going to be uncomfortable and encounter eye strain...etc. On the other hand, its really hard to dish out 150.00 to 250.00 for a pair of sunglasses...still makes me sick to my stomach. But for me, I am very happy with my choice and think it was worth it. My suggestion would be to try on as many different kinds/brands as possible and choice the one you like the most….no matter what brand it is. Good luck in your search.

Thanks a lot guys, those are very good suggestions. I don't mind paying for good quality, as long as the product has a discernible difference over the cheapies. I'm going to study all your suggestions and then try some one to see what I like the best.

I had the laser surgery also and ended up with the Costas, I am sure all the others mentioned above are great also, 2 things I would suggest. Make sure you take care of them, all of the good glasses come with a nice hard-shell case, and know what to clean the lens with (no Kleenex) also, check out what saltwater fishermen are using, guides and captains, none of these guys use the cheapies and all of them use a good quality glasses for a reason. You might have to spend a few bucks but to me it was worth it.

I prefer the brown colored lens, seems to give better contrast for sight fishing. If I am not sight fishing and just want to cut glare I use the gray lens. I use glass as it doesn't scratch. Can't comment on some of the brands listed above, I use Nikon and Bausch-lomb. Try Sierratradingpost.com, they have a good selection of discount/overstock glasses. Got some real nice Nikon ones for 50, they often have costa del mar's too.