• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ICE HOUSE -- BUILD OR BUY

StrosLit31

i am currently building a 6-1/2 x 16' crank down ice house. and i bought a trailer from a dealer and had the outside frame built by a fish house builder. and currently i have $4,000 invested, and still need to finsh benches and bunks. just wondering if any one else has built there own and how much they spent and if you think its better to buy or build. dont get me wrong building it is half the fun. but just wondering what some else thinks?

Well Adam you did exactly what I was going to do a year ago.

My decision came down to the options and work quality I was looking to add on my own.

It became a no brainer for my 14' Aluminum that the quality of work done by the builder would be far superior than my own, I did not have 100 free hours of time and the "options" list I wanted was hardly a savings worth buying outright...

I myself paid the $2,800 more and pulled her home already to go !!

Personal choice, ability, time and budget issues to ponder !!

Oh, and your sanity (lol)

I built a 7 x 14, with hydraulic retractable wheels. I spent $2200 total, this was a couple years ago before steel went sky high. It was fun, I started in the spring, had lots of time, and a shed where I could work on it inside. I'd definitely do it again, but I overspent my budget by about 50%. Its always more expensive then you think!

I built mine. My frame is aluminum, all welded, strong and light. However, I'm a boilermaker by trade. Through work I got the aluminum at a stupid low price and I was able to weld it all up in our shop. So I had that much going for me. It took an awful long time from start to finish to make it, but like ya said, it's half the fun.

If you don't have access to material at a decent price (steel and aluminum are sky high price wise right now) and the ability and time to make it, I'd say buy one. If you factor in time, and how this thing will nickle and dime you to death, you are probably actually breaking even if you buy one, maybe even saving a few $$$.

My $.02

GoodToGo:

Are you saying you built a 7 X 14 trailer with Hyraulics and the shell framed for $2,200 like the poster mentioned he has done for $4,000 so far ?

Even two years ago with wood frame that sounds like Monster Garage donated alot of bling-bling to the project. (lol)

For people who don't know much about either welding, carpentry, design I would recomend to buy. If a person goes out and buys at retail every item lumber, siding, tin, insulation, hardware you'd be saving $0.00. You get no volume discount and you pay sales tax. You say I'll pay sales tax on the finished product which includes the labor. If you are expierieced at any of these it's a no brainer. If you have acess to alot of these materials for little or nothing and no expieriece I hope you are willing to spend lots of time. More than you think. You'll be learning as you go and I'll tell ya it's better to take your time and do your best job than regret it later. For those that choose to build their own don't be in such a hurry that you comprimise quality. You'll be glad you did. Don't forget the little things could nickle and dime you. Don't get me wrong cause I'm not trying to discourage anyone building it themselves. Just want to let people know what might lie ahead.

I just finished a 6.5x12. Like an earlier post stated, if you have much of the material already on hand you can do it real reasonable. I had such a situation. boilerguy built my frame, Thanks Eric, I had all the lumber, roofing steel, some insulation, and plywood siding needed already. But I still have almost $1500 in it. I am also lucky that I have a constuction/carpentry backround that I could do all the work myself. It was a fun summer and fall project and would definetly do it again.

But for those that are unable to, either no experience or time, buying the shell and finishing it your self makes the most sense to me.

I to built a 16 footer with retractable wheels for around 2,000. It does nt have the nice cupboards found in the commercial ones but I think they take up too much space. I am happy with how it turned out and like it better than any commercial one on the market.You have got to know what you are doing when it comes to the trailer part of it- otherwise you are just asking for problems and would be better off having one built for you.

In 1999 I bought a 6.5 by 12 foot frame with drop down wheels and built on that. My father thought I needed the strongest fish house and I listened and wish I hadn't. It is a fully loaded fish house, $7K invested. It has a vaulted ceiling with wood shake shingles and cedar soufit. Wiches mounted to the frame on both sides and a winch for the front. It has a bunk and a custom couch with alarms on four holes. Satelite TV with a 13 inch TV/VCR.

Here are pictures

http://www.omnious.org/icehouse/

My mother in law and husband are buying a custom built 6.5 by 14 foot house in the tunes of $12,000 blush.gif

Yup, $2200. I had to save my receipts so I could charge my brother in law for half. The hydraulics was pretty cheap, around $80 in Northern for hand pump and ram, then some hose. The trailer was about $1100 by the time I was done. As I said, steel has gone up 40% since. 2x4, plywood, foam sandwich floor. 1 5/8" steel stud, foam, steel siding, paneling walls. 2x6 (or was it 4), steel, foam roof. Some things I got for free - door, windows, heater.

The hydraulics was a good concept, but I need to tweak it. I connected the ram to a rotating axle, which lowers the wheels. Works good, but when ice builds up under the house it binds up the rotating parts.

My buddy and his dad built a steel frame years back and a couple buddies and myself built a fishouse on top of it a few years ago. We spent under $500 but had a lot of the wood. All we bought was the paneling for the inside, insulation, rattle reels, screws, nails, bolts, and an 18 inch door that we didnt even have to frame in, it just fit in between the studs but we tell everyone it's to keep the large women out of the house. The stove was about $150 that my buddies dad bought at an auction. It's 6.5 X 12, vaulted cieling, tin roof, 2X4 studs(bad idea I think, but I'm not the carpenter of the bunch, so my opinion is disregarded), no cupboards to keep it nice and open on the inside, a fold down bunk, sliding windows, removable table, 8 holes and rattle reels on 4 holes.

Build it if you have time and a place to do it. Buy it if you have the $.

Sounds like everyone here has built a fish house or two. Thanks for all the comments. I think when i am finally done i will end up spending $6,000.00 but what i have seen from fish house sites is that they want $10,000 to $12,000 for the same options that i am putting in my ice house. There base price sounds good but i think they hose you on any extra option that you get. Well I dont know about you guys but i would be hard pressed to pay $10,000 for an ice house.

Same here, I'm just beginning to build my 6.6 x 14 fishhouse and I am projecting to spend $4,500.00 total.

I already know that I will be over that on budget, but it will be because of personal choice not necessity. I will be taking my time and anticipate using it in the 2005 ice season. I have a digital camera and will post pics when I'm finished. I would appreciate any "secret" suppliers of fish house supplies that anyone might have. I pretty much know about the internet places.....just would like to know of others.....I'm a deal shopper.....

Well Boiler.....as I'm just getting started....I will be in the market for aluminum siding, windows, lights, catch covers, mattresses.....and all the other goodies that we MUST have to catch fish..... grin.gif

I know of a few sites where a person can buy this stuff, just wondering is there are any "non-internet" places where one might go and shop at.....

StroghsLight31:

Keep in mind those $10,000 - $12,000 houses are rather loaded with "options" and are multi-functional units.

Your size doubles as a "camper" in the summer as well so you get all season use from it. They have warranties and hold a resale value as well. It's an investment not a fish house I tell myself..(lol)

Like I mentioned in my first post, buy the time I made a "itemized" list of the options from the house I wanted, it became a no brainer to have it finished by the maker..

I couldnt come close to the same options/brands in cost the dealer offered me with installation and warrantied work...

There was always compromise decisions in options, price, and brand quality being made to meet a budget lower than the retailers price..

These suppliers donot "inventory" all the items you need to sell them at bargain prices I can assure you that. You will pay retail for the same options in that house and have no installation included or warrantied work let alone your own time..

Profit margarins on these elite custom houses are not even the normal 30% or more of other common goods.

Your "labor" is the only area you can control costs and your expertise, tools, and time must be equal or better than the manufacturer to end up with that $10,000 house identical to the one you want to build on your own for less.

After my parts list was estimated through two different efforts and labor presented to a finish carpenter friend and cabinet maker, I would have come out about $1,500 cheaper than the retail price...

The quality and look of my houses "exterior" could not be guranteed to look like the Manufactures of choice by these two professionals. I was not willing to compromise the look of my house or the craftsmanship of the Retailer so I decided to save everyone the headaches and regret in the end.

I found out that house would never be duplicated for less, and even matched with 40 plus years of experience between two guys.

If your looking for the experience and fun in the venture, than I'd build it !!

If your looking for Champagne on Beer funds, I'd buy the house you have your eye on and feel good about the choice made!!

Good Luck with your decision.. smile.gif

There are a ton of RV supply shops out there on the net. Good for all things 12volt.

Trailer house/Mobile home suppliers are also good sources for stuff like doors.

I originally ordered my dome lights from JCWhitney. Waited 2 weeks to get them and they never came. Finally called them up and said where are my dome lights? They apparently cancelled my order because they didn't stock that particular model. A phone call would have been nice. confused.gif

Menards has some great insulated windows for about $50 a piece. They are about 20x30 in size. Workerd great for my house. Every now and then, Menards will have 1/4" Luaun plywood on sale. WAY cheaper than paneling. When I bought it, it was around 7 bucks or so a sheet on sale compared to 13-15 bucks a sheet for paneling. Either prime & paint it or put a spar polyurethane finish on it.

You can also get good prices on Catch Covers, Empire Heaters, and Aluminum Siding, at Road King Outdoors

I have been down that road...

I built my first house 8 x 14 with everything. It was sweet but it was also 4400 pounds. Never got it on the ice till January. Well I sold that house to a friend who just bought a place on Mille Lacs...the house does not tow for beans but he will tow it maybe 10 miles in a year. It had wheels, stove, darts board, 3 hole golf course, 2 basketball hoops, celeing fan, double hung windows, I mean everything. I built the hole shindign for 2K...sold it for 3K.

I am just completing a 6.5 x 10. The goal is to have it much lightere and tow well as we travel. A person near St. Cloud built the frame and the house, he has been building houses for 20 years. He would not sell me a trailer as he "Did not want any junk" built on his trailer. The house is unique in a manner that there is a spot in front to haul your wheeler and the house sits behind that. You never have to unhook to lower the house.

I paid 2200 for the house. I completed the inside, I put another 400 inside, camo paneling, toungue and groove, lights and three bunks. I need to add a heater yet, another 400-500.

Basically, I had success with having the house & trailer built and completeing the final touches myself.