• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big buddy on sale?

Jeremy airjer W

Lost-

The Buddy Heaters are great heaters.

Are they worth the money? I'm not so sure.

When it gets below 0, I'll take my sunflower head Mr. Heater with and leave the Buddy at home. I invested my $80 bucks or so into a Heater Buddy to find out what I really needed was a regular Mr. Heater & propane tank to keep me warm in some of the temperatures I fish in.

If cost is an issue, I don't think they are worth the money.

My 2 cents.

For what it is worth Cabela's in Owatonna has (factory reconditioned) Mr.Heater heater/cookers for $25.00 I think they are about $50.00 new. They are upstairs in the camping area. I bought one and can't tell it is Recon'ed.

arbuck

Is the Buddy worth the money?

Depends on what you expect out of a heater.

My observations using a double seat portable Otter (I use the smaller Buddy):

Is your portable shelter sealed pretty well from the elements and not exteme cold/wind? Yes, it takes the edge off...a little. Allows me to loosen up my clothes a bit.

Are you looking for t-shirt conditions in a portable? Then you may need to upgrade to the Big Buddy or Sunflower type.

I just don't think you can beat the portability of the Buddy (or similar competitors) when it comes to moving around the ice. Most other heat sources feel like an anchor.

The big buddy was still 119.00 at Sportsmans wharehouse yesterday. I bought mine on Wednsday at Tractor Supply, Thanks whackin perch for the heads up. I've fished the buddy for two years in my clam and never had a problem with being cold and was always comfortable in a t-shirt and jeans. This year I am buying an otter. I now the sunflower heater will keep it plenty warm but I am never comfortable having the tank inside of the shelter. The big buddy will put out the same BTU's and make me feel safer at the same time.

If you are looking for a great heater go get a coleman 17000 btu heater off of HSOList. Just bought one for 40 bucks including shipping. Electronic ignition plenty of heat and a easily replaceable burner. search under "coleman heater" and you will find what you need. my .02

Quote:

This was also the route that I went. I have a little two man, and the regular sunflower attached to the tank was too tall, and my fee kept getting cold. I got the last heater cooker that was on the shelf in camping a week ago, but I would imagine they re-stocked. This was after checking online-and yes, saved $25 by driving to the store. Pretty handy system really, I bought the hose attachment for the large tank on long days-and an 11# tank for easy transport, then can also use the disposables.

Reconditioned, not sure whats reconditioned-but it sure looks and acts new!

jk

What size tank did you have that sunflower on? I use a 10 pounder in my fish trap (its the same diameter, but half the height of the regular 20 pounders) and it works out pretty nice. I'm able to slide it a little farther back into corners and such since the heating element doesn't stand as high. Just my .02

Your right, but not everyone gets to live buy a Cabela's smile.gif I really hait it when retailers pass of full retail for "Sale Prices". I think there all guilty of it! Yesterday I was in that "mart that looks like a wal" They had there sale price banners everywhere and just about all of the stuff was still priced at retail. I think there are too many suckers out there and the retailers caught on!