• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fronts, Moonphase, barometric pressure

Perchpapa

You bet I do.. I have a digital barom that I have clipped to my belt at all times when I am fishing... Here is an exerpt from an article that I wrote a few years ago..

Quote:

WEATHER

Denny Brauer says in his book, "Weather is the most important thing to consider when it comes to fishing." I can't argue that. However, I don't think minor weather changes directly affect bass as much as we think they

do. Minor barometric pressure changes affect fishing in that they affect the lowest end of the food chain. When we are stuck in a high pressure system, the zoo plankton are less buoyant. Thus they stay on the bottom and are unavailable for minnows and other bait fish to feed easily on them. If the barometric pressure falls, the little creatures become more buoyant. They float up off the weeds and bottom making them easy prey for the minnow and other creatures. When this happens, the bass follow. Bass are opportunistic feeders. They feed when its easy, whether they are hungry or not. When the minnows and other bait are not easily available during high pressure times, you can still get them to feed, but they are not out looking for food because they know the food is not out. So, this means you have to go find them. Conversely, when the pressure is falling and everything is on the feed, you can throw just about anything in your tackle box and as long as it ran near the proper depth and is in an area with fish, it would catch fish. When the pressure is rising, this is the worst time. The fish have ended their feed and are now like you and I are shortly after our Thanksgiving feast-- not in any mood to eat, that is for sure. But, like I said, they will still eat. A major weather change is something different--especially if its a cold front. Bass are cold blooded, they have no way of regulating body temperature. When we are hot, we sweat. It's not that easy for them. They need to adjust, so you might have to work a little harder than normal, but you can still get them to bite. I think my favorite quote of all is by Kevin van Damm, he says "If it weren't for weather we would have nothing but ourselves to blame for a bad day fishing."

I have a barometric pressure gage on my watch that I pay attention to quite a bit while I am fishing. The only conclusion that I have come to is that it seems that if the pressure has been stable for a couple days the fishing is good. I have always heard that fishing is good when this happens, it’s really good just before a front moves through; fishing is tough after the front moved through and then the process repeats itself. That is something that may be true but there are many days that I could prove that wrong.

That last quote made some sense to me and it may help you choose you baits when the air pressure is fluctuating.

Other than that I pay little attention to the phases of the moon, instead I like air and water temperatures to let me know if the day is going to be more work related as far as fishing goes.

Any other thoughts or beliefs?

In open water I pay a lot of attention to water temperature when chasing crappies.I also watch it when fishing walleye/sauger with plastics or hair.

The barometer can tell you lots. I have seen very minor shifts in barometric pressure throw crappies into a tizzy and become darned hard to catch. Seen it work the other way as well.

Moon phase? Not so much. Wind direction? You bet.

One of the best things a person can do is journal his fishing. Take out a sheet of paper and write down the things you want to know about weather-wise. Make a chart using those wants. Every time you go out record the information on the chart and then refer to how the fishing was. Over a period of time...a couple years maybe, depending on the frequency of your fishing....you will see how certain things play on how well you do.

The original post poses questions, which are probably the toughest to answer, of any when put in a context of how they affect the fishing. The only way to answer this for yourself is to have documented criteria to go back to and study. Journaling is the best answer in my opinion.

Crappie Tom- here is my opinion on the wind direction thing.. and you can put me in myplace if you feel differently. I too think that wind direction is huge.. even during the hard water months... But I think it all relates back to the high and low presure fronts... If we are getting a wind from the west... Usually that is a low pressure front on its way in. If we are getting wind from the East.. then its usually a low pressure system leaving and a high pressure system taking over. South and North winds are often transition winds as well...

I have always lived by the addidge that if winds from the east the fishing is at its least, but if the winds from the west the fishings at its best. Usually here in NW Iowa you get all the big winter storms for the west, I usually have my best luck just before or even during a good storm. Any body else have good luck during snow storms.

I've definitely experienced better fishing before and during snow storms. We absolutely killed the walters on a metro lake a couple of years ago. We got out there and it was just overcast but as the sun was setting it started to snow pretty hard and the fish went berserk! One of the best fishing experiences of my life.

Match

Storm fronts and consecutive high pressure days do it for me. In the winter if I see a storm front coming, I'm heading for a trout lake if at all possible. Curious to know what exactly (physically) in taking place in the fish during these times. Is it an instinctive trigger to feed due to the pressure. Is the pressure in the air directly effecting the pressure under the ice? Ok, where's the marine biologist when you need him/her?

Chucky- I by far am not an expert on the subject. But I have read a few articles on the subject... Like I stated before. As the pressure drops it effects the entire underwater system directly with the air pressure falling. micro organisms become more boyant and easier available to smaller fish which in turn put those fish in and easier available as they feed for the larger fish. As presssure drops it directly effects the swim bladder on fish making it easier for them to suspend and feed. Also as storm fronts come it will lower light levels which also can turn fish on as well.

again, all just my opinions...

My belt clip baromiter is a valuable tool that I always have with me.