• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Clothing?

lucky7

This is what I use.

Rocky Ice Gripper Boots With medium wool/poly blend sock

Fleece Pants

Regular T-Shirt

Light Fleece pullover shirt

Fleece jacket

Fleece vest if it is real cold

Down 3/4 length coat

Gore Tex light insulated bibs if I'm going to fish outside

Leather Gloves lined with wool felt or

Cabelas ultra extreme GorTex gloves

Fleece lined GorTex floopy ear hat

Polaris fleece head condom

With this combination I can stay outside or peal it off very easy when inside.

s

I too saw the new ICE ARMOR (blue suits) from ICE TEAM and wondering what makes them so special vs. GORE-TEX.

Any body know of any HOT deals right now for GORE-TEX CAMO bibs for ice-fishing?

I hope others respond to this because it would be interesting to see how those people stay dry all the time!

Matt- How do you stay dry- I've never seen you were waterproof anything grin.gif

Brandon,

I wear a Gortex jacket underneath the red vest, and I usually just wear thermawear under by jeans. I have a pair of Gortex bibs I bought last winter that I'll probably wear from time to time this winter now. A good pair of boots is a must too. I usually stay pretty dry.

What headlamp did you have when we hit the ice last? I'm looking at getting a new one and I remember that yours was pretty nice...thanks.

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

I'm still a fan of the ol' faithful Carhartt Arctic Bibs. I have the black ones with quilted lining. My knees even stay dry, no gore-tex.

For boots I'm a Sorel pac boot guy, Glaciers.

Up top I go with many layers finished off with a Quad Parka.

Finally, a Mad Bomber and some Choppers finish off the deal.

37170496506_0_ALB.jpg

I made an unlikely addition to my ice fishing layers last winter. On a day where my long underwear were just too funky to wear another day straight, I had to improvise. I am also an avid runner and have cold weather gear for that. So, I put on my UnderArmor wicking undershirt and the matching tights. I have never been so comfortable on the ice. The wicking material draws any moisture away from your body to help avoid those sweat and freeze situations. I'm surprised that this stuff hasn't been marketed towards outdoorsman (not that I've seen anyhow). Don't let the word "tights" scare you off from these either. Believe me, there's nothing 'fruity' about being warm, dry and comfortable.

I gotta agree with you carhart guys. If you layer underneath the bibs, and still get cold, its either time for a new heater or time to go home grin.gif I've been out in some pretty frigid weather in my bibs, and had to worry about keeping the fingers warm.

Speaking of frigid weather, anyone remember the Brainerd Jaycees Ice tourney two years ago? That jumps to the front of my mind when frigid weather comes up blush.gif

I've been sporting the ICE TEAM black and blue for several years now and would not trade the set-up for ANYTHING !

I really mean it,these suites are the cats meow.Light weight enough so you can run & gun without over working/sweating from the 5-6 layers underneath.I simply put on my thermo silk long underwaer,heavy socks,sweat pants(sweat pants make a person much more mobile) & a flannel shirt or sweat shirt.Then the "ARMOR".

This has kept me plenty warm on some of the worst days to be out.Some days I have added another top layer,but it's very rare.

These suits are different then "gore-tex" I'm not exactly sure what it is but it is better material.

Matt- I forgot that blue jacket you have is gore-tex. NICE.

As for the headlamp, I have the Prince Tec Aurura headlight! Sweetest little thing since slice bread. Seriously, I like it in my trap because it lights up everything the whole floor and I'm able to see everything.

Good Luck. For the money $24.00-29.99 is the best deal on the market- I think.

CRAPPIEBAIT - Sounds like you have the original blue suit?!?!

They are marketing them again this year, but pretty expensive $299.99.

Does anyone know where I could get those things?

I'm going to check GM as well because now is the best time for deals with all the camo going on sale!

I have the original blue suit , I bought it thinking I could also use it for rainy days in the summer, well, It didn't work out that way. It is great for icefishin, but it is worthless in a steady rain. I don't know about the new ones.

I usually have a couple layers of very light wicking long underwear.. then a fleese shirt over that and sweat pants... I then have a set of Wool bibs that I wear(love them things)...and a jacket. Hat is always important... Staying warm to me is important. I almost always have my Frabil XLTwin along in cast it gets windy or chilly.. or just for a place to sit down!

I wear all synthetic (cotton is evil mad.gif). It's really not all that scientific but I start with a light base layer. Followed by fleece shirt (similar to Mock-T) and a medium weight fleece jacket. A fleece vest if below 0. Wrapped in a waterproof/breathable shell with a hood.

Pants - light base layer, fleece sweats and waterproof/breathable shell. Fleece hat. Gortex gloves. Remove clothing as necessary. Final layer - a set of ice picks hanging around my neck.

I don't fish outside in weather under -10, so this getup is ideal for me. Besides, I spend most of my time in my portable unless moving location. Very rewarding/invigorating being outside on a lake and beating the elements!

Quote:

CRAPPIEBAIT - Sounds like you have the original blue suit?!?!

They are marketing them again this year, but pretty expensive $299.99.

Does anyone know where I could get those things?

I was at Cabelas in Owatonna today and they have "the blue suits" in stock. Look pretty nice, no insulation, but I think I would spend my money elsewhere.

This is the second opinion about the blue suits "no insulation". I was talkin' to a salesmen at SCHEELS in St.Cloud and they said they could get em', but weren't going to stock em' because of NO INSULATION.

I'm going to look for insulated GORE-TEX bibs. I saw a pair there that I might pull the trigger on more. Multi-purpose is what I'm looking for!

I think the Gor-Tex bibs would be a better way to spend your money (and probibly save some). The blue suits are nice, high quality, but I don't think they would be practical in the boat in summer time. The material was pertty heavy and I doubt it would breath that well on those hot July days.

Just my thoughts

arbuck