• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing Guides Fishing

gunflint

I think everyone would agree the guide should be doing everything possible to get their client on fish.

On Superior where all rods are trolled and in holders the captains and first mates rods are added to the spread and the clients reel them in.

Say you and a client are pulling sticks baits for eyes,pike or muskies, again rods in the holder, the guide can add his rod and the client grabs what ever rod has got something going. You could do the same thing if your slip bobbing.

Now your on structure throwing jigs, do you throw jigs too? It would depend on the client here but if the guide can use a rod to find where fish are on that structure I say go for it, then let the client have that spot.

I guess I see unique situations where the guide would have to make a decision if his rod will benefit the client.

I suppose it all depends on the person that hired the guide. If I ever hire a guide it will be to learn new techniques on new water so I would definately want the guide to fish so I could learn from his or her experience.

I no longer guide, but when I did I always asked the clients if it was ok. I never had anyone tell me not to.

A guide needs to be in touch with what is going on below his boat. Fishing gives you that extra feel that a locator cannot. Besides, if the guide is not catching fish then you know something is wrong. Also, many clients wanted to see exactly how I fished, as in how long to let the fish take the bait, how hard to set the hook, etc, etc.

I would say that if you have a problem with the guide fishing, then go out on a launch or take a charter on the Great Lakes, but on our inland waters, expect and even go so far as to demand that the guide fishes right along side you. You will learn a lot.

OK. I agree with that. Now how about this, do you think a guide should put the fish they catch in the livewell for the client to take home? Or should the guide work on putting the client on the fish and let them keep what they catch?

I was under the impression that it was the job of the guide to teach and educate not provide supper. I have seen many occasions where guides are catching left and right and tossing them into the livewell. When this is done day in and day out, it has to be tough on the fisheries.

Good topic!

In over 16 years of guiding, I have never had a client complain about me putting some fish in the livewell. In fact there have been many times that we wouldn't have had shorelunch without my fish.

Guides have just as much right to their limit as anyone else, as long as it's leagal. I seldome do take my limit seperate from my clients unless the clients fill theirs out. There are times that my customers don't want to keep fish and if I want a few walleyes I will keep what I catch. smile.gif

As for wether or not a guide should fish, that is dependant on how many customers I have in my boat that day. For muskies, pike or bass I will fish if there is only one client however, I won't when I have 2. All my trips for these species are done with artificial baits, 3 people casting lures is a bit crowded and it could lead to treble hooks finding the wrong targets. (ouch!!)

For walleyes I will fish if asked or when I have less than 3 people in my boat. As was stated by Tom, teaching is a big part of guiding and it's much easier to do that when you can show them how you do what you do. It's also much easier to get a feel for the action when you have a line in the water especially when fishing with novice anglers

that have trouble hooking fish. smile.gif

I also get many request by my clients to show how I work certain baits, especially when it comes to muskie fisherman. I do however, always give my clients the front of the boat, wether fishing for walleye of muskie, I think they should always get the first shot at new water. smile.gif

"Ace" cool.gif

I fish on Lake Superior so this is slightly different. I use my 2 lines and my mates 2 lines as well to add more lines. Its a big lake! grin.gif But we never actually fish. Not ever! We set line but never release them, we let the customers handle the rods once their in and set unless specifically asked. Once we have their limit of any species of fish, which is almost always Lake trout, I will give them 2 options. We can try targeting another species such as salmon or walleye. Or we can go in early. We still might catch more trout even though were targeting another species, but if we get to the limit for my mate and I we stop fishing. I've only had one complaint. One group insisted on catching my mate's and my limit, but I refused and told them I wanted my son to be able to catch fish out there one day too and that I need to make sure there was some for tommorrow's clients as well. They did back off and we still ended with some fish for my mate and I anyway. Catch and release on Superior can be tough if your dragging fish up from very deep water etc... so I prefer not to do it. Very seldom do I or my mate actually keep any fish.

If I personally go with a guide on a trip, I feel I am hiring him to fish along side me and show me. If he cant do it then there is something wrong. Then I ask if he will put his limit towards mine and I decide which way I want it done. It's my trip and I paid for it. If its legal I decide. MY 2 CENTS.

I've hired guides for walleyes and I have had my kids with. All the guides have fished unless the action is non-stop. If the action is slow and the guide fishes they would hand their pole off to one of my kids if they hook onto a fish. All of them have made sure we were all set before they would fish themselves. If they caught fish and kept them they would give the fish to us unless there was enough for him to take also. I think they need to fish to find out what is working and not get completely bored out of their mind.

I have fished with guides in several locations around the world, for big game fish, trout,salmon and bass. None of them fished. I have asked them to fish with me on occasion-some do and some decline. I prefer that a guide not fish. I also note that in many states guides must pass tests and meet certain qualifications to guide. For example, they must know CPR and basic first aid:they must demonstrate abilities in boat handling and safety:they must demonstrate knowledge of the species, tackle,client relations etc.

Perhaps more states will require licensing of guides as the fisheries become more crowded.

I know it makes me more comfortable knowing my guide knows basic safety and emergency techniques and has passed a qualifying test.

The question is species specific.

I guide for cats,walleye and other species.

If I am guiding for cats,I don't fish.At least I don't reel in the fish.The first few fish I will demonstrate how to set the baits and how to set the hook.Once the fish is on I will hand over the rod.Many times clients want me to demonstrate how to fight the fish.

Even in basic bottom fishing like catfishing there are small details that are very important and the only way to explain them is by showing how its done.

When guiding for walleye or other species,I will fish as long as I can effectively run the boat and help my clients while doing so.If we are verticle jigging I demonstrate the techniques I use and will continue to fish along with them.

If we are pitching jigs,I will again show them the techniques to use.I will first let them pitch to spots that I think will hold fish.Then after they have covered the area I will then pitch to that spot and have them again watch how I do it.A lot of times I will pick up a fish where they have pounded an area.This helps them to understand and learn how a specific technique can make all the difference,or "how you hold you mouth" smile.gif can put fish on your line.

Any fish that I catch will go into the livewell if my clients want them.Other wise they go back.Its up to them wether or not they can keep my limit,provided adding my limit to theirs does not exeed their legal limit.