• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a dog

loosegoose

I'm looking for some suggestions for a hunting dog that I plan to purchase next spring. I'm thinking something between a lab and some breed of springer. This will be an upland bird dog, some waterfowl hunting, and also a family dog. I've heard to stay away from a pointer since they aren't fit for water. Any tips and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I would not say a pointer is not fit for water, I had a short hair that would make some labs look bad in the water. But here the problem they do get cold. If you are going to do more upland ....I would go with a pointer anyday of the week. That my opinion,I train,trial, and have both. Good luck on your choice.

loosegoose,

I'm a shorthair guy too, but 90% of my bird hunting is upland. If you're doing primarily upland, it's my opinion that labs are fine, but it's not like hunting behind a pointer. My current dog doesn't mind water, but she's way too high strung to sit still for any length of time in a duck blind...I think that's the issue. This characteristic also makes her not as much of a "family dog" as a lab might be. She's very friendly, but just a bit to energetic for small kids. As much as I love the shorthairs, if you're looking for the true combination dog, I'd get a lab. Good luck!

NWBuck

Another good option would be to look into Field Bred English Cockers. They are in the spaniel family, so would be flushing dogs. The great advantage of these dogs are they get to be about 30 lbs when full grown, so would make an ideal dog to have in the house. They are great with kids, and have all the drive and desire to hunt as the big dogs do!!

Good luck!

I will throw the springer hat in the ring. I own 3 of them and they make great family dogs. Oh ya, they can hunt upland game to. I have duck hunted with them as well. They would be early season or used with a neoprean vest. I don't think you could go wrong with either Labs or Spanials. I do not know about pointer because I have never hunted over or owned any.

Just do your homework on the breed and then look at multiple dogs and parents of dogs until you find the kind of dog you are looking for.

Just my 2 cents.

I second the German Wirehaired Pointer. Ours is a machine in the woods, likes the water (but definately not a late season duck hunter), and is a wonderful family dog. She's not hyper at all in the house, but she'll never quit in the field. Our 5 yr old boys love her to death, and she tolerates everything they dish out.

I found mine from a breeder in Virginia. I know they wont have any for at least 18 months. There are breeders in Wisconsin and N.D. The best thing to do is search the internet for breeders. As far as price, about a thousand. The little dogs are well worth it, they are extremly smart and very easy to train. They also love children and are great house dogs. The breeding is very strictly controlled due to the health problems of other breeds. Males average about 19" to 21" at the withers and about 40 lbs. Females, 17" to 20" and 35lbs. Have you looked at the AKC HSOforum for an explanation of the breed?

I would say a lab. I have had all three labs, each one had tremendous traits that the other ones did not. Right now I have a choc. lab and she is great -- she hunts a lot of upland, some waterfowl and is the family pet.

I would not hesitate to get another lab--

You will never get the answer you are looking for from dog owners who are passionate about their breeds! Heck, we will probably make your decision more difficult! My best advice would be to get a retriever and a pointer! Good luck!

Yeah, I agree with Jlm. I know if I had a dog I would recommend and favor that breed. If you are going to hunt more upland that you get a pointer. If you are going to hunt for waterfowl you get a lab. I'm looking forward to getting a dog once I get out of these dorm rooms and have somewhere to take care of it. I'm looking at getting a yellow lab. Beautiful dogs IMO.

Good luck in your search for a great friend! No matter what kind of dog you get I'm sure you'll be happy! wink.gif

Get the best of all worlds: A pointing lab. Great waterfowler and that can be an unbelievable upland dog. I currently have a lab that matches up with the best "traditional" upland dogs. Unfortunately finding pointing labs is not easy and there are no guarantees. Two parents that point are a good start.

Good luck.

LooseGoose.

Pointing lab for sure dude. You get the best of both worlds!

It is a lab - that means a great personality and all the water work. And if you go with a reputable breeder where you are dealing with generations of pointers, the upland is exceptional.

Imagine hunting 100 - 150 yards behind a lab that locks solid on upland. And will retrieve just about anything you can shoot. That the wife / girlfriend will love and won't eat the kids.

Now you have got it.

If you want a family dog, get the lab, can't beat them - and they hunt a little bit too. smile.gif Also consider the training aspect, pointers take more time and effort where most retrievers its all instinct, you just have to work on control.

I will have to vote for a lab also. I have a year old lab that has worked her way into our family.(probably like any lab owner would say) She started off as a hunting dog, now she is my hunting partner, my wife's walking partner, my yard work helper, our laundry helper, and even my Outdoor Channel watching buddy. I have never met a lab that I didn't like. The real fun starts when you get out in the field. So far my lab has been a good duck hunter, she is still a little ansy in blind, but she has been outstanding for pheasants. We have been hitting public hunting areas that get hunted hard and she finds birds everytime. I have shot more pheasants(and ate more pheasant) this year so far than I ever had before.

I agree with above posts. Lab or retriever would fit the bill. Individual attributes will be the deciding factor more than which breed. Take the time to research breeders and lineage. I've seen great labs and retrievers as well as bad ones. I think maybe labs would be a lower risk than Goldens due to breeding. I got lucky with a very good Golden this time but my last one was a dud.

I have 2 German Wirehair Pointer (Deutsch Drahthaar) and they are great! you couldn't ask for a harder hunting dog. I use mostly for upland game but they are not scared of the water and do great at water retreaves. Thay are also family pets and good with the kids. I am very happy with these dogs and wouldn't hesitate to get another. I think it all depends on the dog and how you plan on training/raising it. Good luck!

You might consider a Weimaraner! I got mine about 4 years ago. It's a great house dog, very little hair to shed. Very affectionate, can't stand to be in a room without the family. I use mine for duck and goose hunting. The dog retreive fine, but what is really neat is how when you go for a walk it will "point" at ducks. How I really don't know, because I've never trained it to point.

German Wirehaired Pointer. I've had both a lab and a Wirehair. I love the wire. Easy to train. Great with kids.

Don't shed. I got mine from this breeder. He's second generation breeder.

Sorry.... no unauthorized links.

I heard a professional dog trainer answer this questions once by explaining that a good dog of any of the sporting breeds is better than a bad/mediocre dog of any of the sporting breeds. Sounds pretty politically correct to me but think about it for a minute...a good GSP is better than a bad GWP. A good BRITT is better than a bad DD. A good LAB is better than a bad SPRINGER. I guess what he was saying is to make sure you get the very best pup from the best breeder you can afford and do your homework and research to ensure you get a dog that matches published breed standards as closely as possible thus maximizing your chance of getting a quality, healthy and outstanding hunting companion for years to come.