• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Couldn't agree more. The colder the better. I have a feeling, and I'm praying, that our season is cut short and we may miss the major migration if mother nature doesn't cooperate. I was hoping to hunt into-past Thanksgiving this year on my big waters, but now our season is too short to do that like I used to. It's a dump shoot with this weather. crazy.gif

From what I have been reading, looks like maybe there will be a push this week. We might only get one weekend of good hunting yet this year and it looks as if there are no major storms ahead. I can't really complain, last weekend was awesome for me. Saturday we did well and Sunday I was alone and filled on ducks and geese by 9 but couldve easilly done that for 4 guys...if they werent so busy chasing bambi, or too sceptical to drive down!!...you know who you are;)

With most small ponds likely fo freeze up this week, the birds that are around should concentrate and any new arivals wont have many options. Unfortunetly, I think that we'll need to get out really early to get "the" spot since most are probably thinking the same thing. Might have to break out the tarp and the heater and pull an all-nighter!!

I'm going to head out tomorrow morning (thursday) near Bemidji. This cold weather should push some birds down, or at least I hope so. Forcast looks like it will be a little nippy tomorrow morning. I hope I don't freeze TOTALLY solid. Althoug it would all be worth it if I get some birds grin.gif

I went out this morning and froze my butt off. Although I wasn't able to go to my original spot that I was going to go to because there was already someone there mad.gif Oh well, I guess thats what happens when I don't get there early enough. So I went to another lake that I had not been to before. Had to bust through a lot of ice. I saw one fairly decent sized flock but they were a long ways away. Then I saw a pair of greenheads that came in towards my dekes but I wasn't paying attention so I missed them and couldn't call them in. Even though I froze to death and didn't shoot anything I still had a good time and learned a good lesson. PAY ATTENTION!

Good luck!

MGH

Yer all dreamin if you think there is going to be a big push this week/weekend. Weather forecast for Winnipeg is the same for us here in the metro, just slightly cooler daytime highs of 40's - 50's night time lows in the teens/20's. Looks like were just going to have one of them years where they come through after turkey day or at one time at night, sucks, but what are ya going to do?

I know that there are new birds. I have seen with my own eyes and my hunting buddy called me about an hour ago and there are some moving. Between the 2 of us we have seen mallards, Buffies, Cans, Goldeneyes, Ringers, Redheads in Wright County in the last 24 hours. It is going to be cold tomorrow morning but I would rather be out there than sitting in my cube.

There sure wasn't a push of mallards in western MN this morning (Marsh Lake area). We did see a lot of geese in the area, but still not the numbers that I'm used to seeing this time of year. As for mallards... it was very disappointing, as we saw VERY few! Not much for divers either, where we were. I sure miss using my diver decoys!!!

Duck-o-holic

Yeah, I know since I'm in "cubeland" right now and maybe I'm just frustrated by the lack of birds this fall. Seems like every time I got out there wasn't a whole lot going on. Still got week and a half though but I got kids to coach hockey to soooo.

I will give the family a call up in upper part of North Dakota a call tonite, with Devils growing to 10 times its size in the last ten years its attracting all the birds, plus all the ponds in that area were full of water all summer, the freshwater shrimp in Devils is there favorite.

It usually takes a freezing clipper out of the Canada with 4 - 6 inches of snow and that hasn't happened in probably over 10 years. Don't count on any movement with south winds and clear skys. Watch football or chase birds.

Well Our group had a banner weekend shot a nice group of Mallards and a couple of bonus hooded mergansers. The birds really started coming in. We saw numerous flocks of mallards, and a few flocks of goldeneyes. Looks like things may really start to heat up the next few days.

Saw plenty of birds to keep me in the blind this weekend. Limits of Buffies, Ringers and Bills were made. Smaller slews and potholes froze shut which pushed everything to the big water like we expected. Hard time finding any mallards but shot a few Buffies that are going on the wall. Hoping we get another push or some of the birds that are around hold tight for another week. I will not be able to get out again until night weekend. Hunting in Wright County.

Report From ND phone call,

Talked to the family up about 60 miles west of Devils and lots of Snows in the Area, 150,000 is what he said, no Northern Mallard flights yet. He said the lack of grain in the area, and the abundance up in Man and Sask. is keeping the birds up there. He said they will be down after weather pushes them out. Bills some on Devils but no Ics ups reported, been too nice, Most of the bills he said filter thru LOTW, RED and then down the flyway. They have a few deer tags to go and will waterfowl after that, he said the season goes to Dec 1st. GLuck

Our group did really well on the Mississippi this week. Friday my brother and I shot 5 drake mallards before having to pick up before class at 8:30.

Sunday we managed 11 mallards, all big drakes cept 2 hens, and 2 buffleheads. We saw many loners, that kept coming in, not many flocks. Saw alot of geese but none were interested.

Sure is confusing to get to bottom line on this migration. Some sources say ducks, others say no ducks. Here's a couple of my observations from today. Hunted this morning and had a good shoot, actually saw a couple hundred ducks on the "home lake" there havn't been any ducks here since the week after opener. Just went out front to have a smoke and check for birds and some D.Weed is out there fishing. Thats a guaranteed no-shoot for tomorrow, the birds will be G O N E. Now don't get too excited about me slammin the fisherman, because I fish as much as anyone. But I don't fish during waterfowl season. Unfortunately for us waterfowlers, we have to live with big horsepower on the Roost lakes and the best minnow ponds in the country. Maybe something can be done.

Standing on the dock this morning in Wright County because my buddy had the day off and was out hunting. Great day for it! I justed wanted to see what was flying. I saw Buffies and Mallards flying this morning. Have high hopes for tomorrow morning with the weather supposed to be rain/snow in the morning. I could also hear geese flying over this morning too. To high to see with the low clouds and rain. Good luck to everyone this weekend.