• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Updated Thur. Oct. 28 th.

Manitoba Waterfowl Migration Report

Current Weather Conditions:

Highs in southern Manitoba will be in the low to mid 40s through the weekend and there is a good chance of showers for both days. After the front moves through it will dry out and temperatures will drop significantly with highs by Tuesday in the low to mid 30s and lows for most of next week in the low 20s.

C.W.S. Reports

From all of the accumulated data around the province, our reports conclude that the majority of the birds including all light geese, dark geese and ducks have migrated to the southern portion of the province and into the states at this time. The cold temps and iced over lakes are making it tough for hunters north of lake Winnipeg to continue their success.

Reports From The Field:

Many small or shallow bodies of water have already froze over in the northern regions of Manitoba. As of late last week Root and Reeder lakes near The Pas were froze over and most of the ducks and geese had moved south. With the cold weather in the forecast any remaining birds will most likely be pushed out of the region by this time next week.

Duck and goose numbers continue to grow in southern Manitoba, and right now the bulk of the migration seems to be within 100-150 miles or so from the US/Canada border. With the late growing season this year, there is an unusual amount of feed still in the fields right now. This is believed to be the main reason that so few birds have left Canada and moved south into the US. As should be expected, hunting has been great through most of southern Manitoba and limits of mallards and Canada geese are not hard to come by right now. With cold weather in the forecast for next week, the numbers should probably start to shrink, but with all of the food available there should still be plenty of action at least through next weekend.

Great info. W.W. What site did you get that from? Of course I was off last week and work nights this coming week. With the time change though, I'll probably come home from work and head out right away for a couple hours each morning. I'm off again during the first week of rifle season and my buck's in the freezer (archery), so look out duckies!!!

Brian

Hunted the Willmar area and migration is not in full force there. After a near sinking of the boat in forcasted 20 mph winds Sat., continued the hunt Sun, morning. 1 ringneck, 1 small but fully colored mallet, and 1 bull can that is now in the hands of the taxidermist. Saw a good number of birds but nothing that says migration. Wish I could perform my job at the same level that TV meteoroligists are allowed.

The weather forcast I got said 15 - 30 with gusts to 40 from the W or NW. It was one of the rare reports they get right in the place I was hunting. I wish it had blown like that all week to move some birds down from Canada or over from North and South Dakota.

BMC i have no idea, did a keyword search and looked around.That was the most up to date report i could find. I was up in your area on sunday was going to hunt on W.O. but decided to fish the river instead. Started at 9:00 a.m. Water is very high, did not do well. Saw lots of duck hunters ........heard no shooting and seen 0 ducks, 1 small flock of geese heading toward MP&L that was it!! Is your last name Carlson and don't you live near Bowstring??.............

We are going to have a 60 day season, that's my prediction. grin.gif The Pas, Manitoba was close to froze out, but opened up again over a week ago. There are an enourmous amount of birds (including all our mallards we have not seen much of yet) sitting in far northern Canada as we speak. The weather needs to get below zero up there before we see any major push, and I don't see it in the weather forecasts thru mid-next week. It will be a slow trickle I hope, unlike last year.

Here's one of the latest (10/30)Pas reports I copied from a local up there, Pas Swamp Donkey. smile.gif

"Unseasonably mild this time of year. Snow has melted and some lakes and sloughs have opened up. Mallards and Canada geese in nice numbers still in the valley. Hunted fields this morning, but will try the water tomorrow. Weather is supposed to be warm for at least another 3-4 days, possibly a week. These birds have no reason to leave for awhile. No snow and lots of grain still in swath and open water will keep them here for awhile.

I checked last years posts, and we were 50-60% frozen out this time last year, and river was frozen by 4th of November. That's not going to happen for awhile this year. Migration from here will end at least 10-14 days later than I predicted."

Another report the other day, thousands of mallards working grain fields like you wouldn't believe. They will come...

WalleyeWeasel,

Click on my blue screen name and you'll see my name, etc. Nope, I'm not Carlson and don't live near Bowstring. I live right in Deer River.

Brian

Are you the law in deer river? If so, i might have b.s'd with you last duck season at the public access in town there ?? I will be hunting across the lake from town this deer season. Do you deer hunt locally?? Any birds in the area yet??

It very well coulda' been me. I bowhunt north of Cohasset on my dad's property. I'm not into rifle hunting. I usually chase ducks during rifle season. I haven't been out duck hunting since last Monday...shot a mounter red head drake on White Oak, but not alot of birds around. Plan on doing some scouting/hunting Thurs/Fri on Winnie. They should be on their way any time. We do have some "fresh" geese in though. My buddy had some less wary geese buzzin White Oak tonight. My red head pic is under duck pics in the photo fourm.

Brian

Saw a flock of 500+ bills last night in a raft on a lake in Wright County and saw one flock of geese that had to be over 150+. They are moving. Have seen BlueBills, Ringers, Buffleheads, goldeneyes, Cans, and several good sized flocks of northern mallards this week. A lot of water in the fields though too. I saw one good sized flock of mallards come into a flooded corn field that was picked already. It gets the heart pumping.

ESOXMN:

2 weeks ago in ND,we could hear the shot hitting the ducks/geese,but they kept flying.Well Dad and I jumped a flock of bluebills and both of us unloaded.2 birds fell and I thought B.S.!!You didn't even have to aim and ducks should have been falling.Well we watched these other 2 bills that broke off from the flock and low and behold about 1 1/2 miles away they hit the ground doing about 90mph.We all but had to dig those 2 birds out of the ground.

They're on their way guys!!! We've had a major push of new geese and mallards here in the Itasca County area. It's like someone turned the duck/geese faucet off 2 weeks ago and now opened it up again. I'm planning on hitting it hard next Mon-Thurs. Will keep you updated. I think this coming week will be the best of season!!!

Brian

Southern Mn. has gained in the overall population also. Still shooting some really nice green wings. Pretty ducks. We took some mallards the size of a small goose. Need some rest tomarrow is coming early. Good luck to all those deer hunters. Ha there missing out. Flip

Indeed, they are now pouring in! Yesterday while loading up deer hunting gear in Thief river Falls geese were flying high over the city moving south by the (hundreds of thousands!). I really miss watching those flights.

I'm pretty sure Canada will be freezing over pretty quickly now. Not sure how many birds are going to stop though. While driving around Mahnomen area we saw probably 20,000 greenheads working the flooded bean fields. Yet we got back down around the cities before it was dark and we saw very few birds in the area at all.

Lord, how I wish I was still living up north!

Yesturday lots of Geese over Thief River Falls. They're headed to Lac Quiparo so get ready... Probably already there. There were several LARGE flocks (or should I say long lines) and flying over a mile high.

Good Luck

decoy

During our hunting in SD last week, we stopped at the Sand Lake Refuge and spoke with one of the officials there. They also confirmed that this year the migration was off by two weeks. Chuck was right on in his estimation of the delayed migration. Many of the SD farmers still didn't have their BEANS out yet, let alone corn. This may be a big factor, along with the weather, that has kept the birds further north this year.

Hope you all enjoyed the first week of season this year and did well... because the week of hunting that they cut off the end of the season would have been STELLAR HUNTING of migrant birds!!! Don't be afraid to let the DNR know your opinion of the early opener next year!

Good Gunnin'

Duck-o-holic

There was a huge push going on on Saturday. Many large flocks of mallards, gadwalls and divers. On Sunday there were significantly less ducks, but did manage to fill out on both ducks and geese by 9.

As long as the lakes stay open we should have good shooting for the last 2 weekends, lots of corn around yet and plenty of water.

Gotta go with Duck-o-holic on this one. Hope everyone who pushed for the early start got their fill of spoonies and pin feathers. The weather forecast looks like we'll miss the real ducks due to season closure.

Oh Yea!! Gotta love those scrawny early season birds!!

I just love the taste of those lightly seasoned pinfeathers and grilled spoonbill breasts!!

Don't even get me started!!

Seems the last few years, the migration is happening later and later. There are plenty of birds, its just that we dont see em because our season is over by the time they decide to move.

I laugh every time I hear someone complain about lack of ducks. Well, if our season would last another week....

Duck hunting is NOT about sitting in a blind swatting mosquitios!

It's about freezing your @ss off and having your hands so numb that you wish you diddnt have so many darned decoys. It's about busting ice to get on the water and then driving around in circles keeping your decoys ice free and your hole open. It's also about busting the 1" thick ring of ice off of your decoys when you pick them up and brushing the 6 inches of snow off of your blind. It's about looking like you fell asleep in the tanning booth because your face is so wind-burned and frost bitten.

But mainly its because all of the mosquito swatters are huddled up in their nice warm homes enjoying their 3 bites of teal while we, the TRUE duck hunters have the best hunting mostly to ourselves and get to roast those plump, fat NORTHERN BIRDS!!!!.

Tom, how do you really feel????????????

I am with you all the way. Love to bust the ice to be able to put decoys out and then watch the fat green heads drop in like cannon balls.

Bring on the late season. Time is running out so the cold weather better turn on soon.

I spent a little time on weather dot com and it does not look like the birds will be leaving Canada any time soon. Heck, the forcast for Dauphin is actually warmer than what it will be for us next week!!

What will opening day be next year? SEPT 17th?!?!?!...LOL

I couldn't agree more with you Tom. I will be out all weekend starting Friday morning. The only bad thing about it is brutal on the dog. He may get to go the first morning but if we get get ice around the edges he gets cut up and I always feel bad for him sitting there with ice hanging off his chin. It is good to bring a friend with a canoe in the late season that likes staying mobile. He can replace the dog.