• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On X Hunt

leech~~

Question

I use it. Mainly for finding and locating public land and then of course using various pins etc. I like the distance  to a point feature, and the 3D terrain for finding sharptail elevation locations. the update satellite imagery thing to show if crops are out harvested doesn't do much for me.

I also use it for is ATV trails out in the black hills.

Another thing I do is pin my wild asparagus lol

Not sure I would pay full price for it, but with a discount its worth it.

Living in a rural area like I do, I like to see who owns land or buys land near me also.

would be curious to see how much these pins are worth to someone lol 

IMG_0341.jpeg

Edited by rundrave

21 minutes ago, rundrave said:

I use it. Mainly for finding and locating public land and then of course using various pins etc. I like the distance  to a point feature, and the 3D terrain for finding sharptail elevation locations. the update satellite imagery thing to show if crops are out harvested doesn't do much for me.

I also use it for is ATV trails out in the black hills.

Another thing I do is pin my wild asparagus lol

Not sure I would pay full price for it, but with a discount its worth it.

Living in a rural area like I do, I like to see who owns land or buys land near me also.

would be curious to see how much these pins are worth to someone lol 

IMG_0341.jpeg

Lol, yeah I hope my son and grandsons don’t throw out my old gps's without checking out the Gold marked on them! 😆

What is this discount you talk about and can you stop and start when you want or is it a contact and for how long?  Since I hunt in some main areas, I'm thinking of getting it and marking up a hard map or old gps with the open land spots before it laps.  There is some land locked spots I would love to find a way into, or at least track down who owns what to ask to cross their land.  Wonder how often the land ownership is updated?

53 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

What is this discount you talk about and can you stop and start when you want or is it a contact and for how long?

Just look for ON X social media accounts  or try to attend an outdoor related event.  Go to a pheasants forever banquet, outdoors show at a convention center or some other similar event. I see youtube channels sponsored by On X offer a discount etc. 

Its not hard to get a 30% discount just need to find someone promoting it...hint hint: 

https://linktr.ee/onxhunt

or

https://www.onxmaps.com/promotions-events

I started using OnX in 2019 for MN on a promotional deal.  I bought the US package in 2020 when I went to WA for ducks.  It was invaluable.  I renew the U.S. package every year now.

During our SD deer hunt we all were using it constantly.  We learned more about the features, turning on layers, and connecting to the truck so the map showed on the screen as we were driving.

I mapped my trails on my property with it and saved pics of the deer stands to the app so I could show family what they were looking for at the pins.

It’s an amazing tool.

51 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

I started using OnX in 2019 for MN on a promotional deal.  I bought the US package in 2020 when I went to WA for ducks.  It was invaluable.  I renew the U.S. package every year now.

During our SD deer hunt we all were using it constantly.  We learned more about the features, turning on layers, and connecting to the truck so the map showed on the screen as we were driving.

I mapped my trails on my property with it and saved pics of the deer stands to the app so I could show family what they were looking for at the pins.

It’s an amazing tool.

Sounds great.  Do you have an example screen shot of your deer stand look to see the detail it give?  Thanks

2 minutes ago, smurfy said:

wanderer......i think someones trying to find your deer spot.......and fishing spots!!!!!!!!!😆🤗

Do you have some input on the product?  Then buzzy off!  :huh:

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Sounds great.  Do you have an example screen shot of your deer stand look to see the detail it give?  Thanks

Yeah, no, sorry.  Too much info to put out there.

Try MN for a year and see what you think.  It’s not a budget buster for one state.  I have noticed they’re now blurring out the landowner details unless you upgrade.  I’ve only used that info once in ND so I’m not too concerned, and, well, may actually prefer it now. LOL!

29 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Hey maybe you and Smurfy, can help Wanderer at work tomorrow!  ;)

image.thumb.png.da0445c1ddaa35f5262e4c959840362a.png

If they’re into expense reports, environment of care assessments, construction project planning and capital budget planning they’re MORE than welcome!!!

If they have the balls of that guy I’d pay them triple - to NOT show up! 😉

Seriously, go on the On X site and review the options.  H*ll, you can find your own place on their map but with a subscription, you’ll be able to tell who your new neighbors are.

Edited by Wanderer

curious wanderer....whens the check coming for not showing up!!!!!!🤗

ok to stay on topic...........is this something like the lake chips but for dry land???? i look at the GIS mapping of certain counties and you can find pretty good info there but maybe not as detailed???????????//

17 minutes ago, smurfy said:

look at the GIS mapping of certain counties and you can find pretty good info there but maybe not as detailed

ON X is like a combo of GIS info and topography all overlaid together. There are several different types of layers to show  and highlight  specific types of properties, public lands, WMA, BLM lands etc

I like the checker board look to identify places to hunt.

I use Huntstand to overview hunting land options and what have you. i do not think it is as detailed  (but they keep adding more) as ON X but for $12 a year it does what I need it for.  I use it more often than just hunting.  I like to search areas when I am fishing as to who owns what on a lake just like when looking for land in the woods.  I mark possible hunting spots too.

1 hour ago, ozzie said:

I use Huntstand to overview hunting land options and what have you. i do not think it is as detailed  (but they keep adding more) as ON X but for $12 a year it does what I need it for.  I use it more often than just hunting.  I like to search areas when I am fishing as to who owns what on a lake just like when looking for land in the woods.  I mark possible hunting spots too.

Sounds about what I would do with it.  Thanks for the feedback all.  

14 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Sounds about what I would do with it.  Thanks for the feedback all.  

Tell me what else you’d like a screenshot of and I’ll post it.  Just not my stuff.

On another note, I just deleted Navionics from my phone and installed the Humminbird One Boat Network App today.  $25/year.  Lakemaster maps instead.  Better in MN.

14 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

IMG_7822.thumb.png.c24de85c93ea01a4718356aa4ad0c525.png

IMG_7821.thumb.png.95fa2de2d9b737441178c4a07a9ca642.png

Thanks and nice example, our campground is right across the lake.   Still seems to be a bunch of missing ownership not identified on the example, but maybe off lake land masses would be better.  That's really what I'm trying to do is identify ownership of small woodlots and areas I might jump in on around my new area to bow hunt next fall.  Lakes don't really change like land ownership so I'm ok in the lake map area!  Thanks for the example.  

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

Here ya go.

IMG_7823.thumb.png.796f1747e14179ca020315772ee8bbd9.png

IMG_7824.thumb.png.f1f208ea79411277d00321cfe04d1d62.png

IMG_7825.thumb.png.0b7f9c934e8064190f62682cfec357bb.png

IMG_7826.thumb.png.7abba85b2db0bd216c3351e546e19965.png

IMG_7827.thumb.png.f6cab2032c6a689c7927506b5bf19047.png

IMG_7828.thumb.png.80e4c8c7e2efd6d716a1761955b13555.png

IMG_7829.thumb.png.f48c47ad9370df0170a8f0ce905b6eca.png

IMG_7830.thumb.png.c0a1e012a9b7783c829478984abf30f1.png

I know it's all right on the app but isn't most of this info public.  I remember a few years ago we bought county plot maps to look up ownerships.  

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

I know it's all right on the app but isn't most of this info public.  I remember a few years ago we bought county plot maps to look up ownerships.  

Yah… sure…. It’s public info.  The app is for convenience and covers every county.  Plus it opens in GPS mode so can always see your position in real time.  Add in the other layers, shading, tracking, distance, weather, etc and I don’t see any comparison to plot maps.  I used to buy those too but they’re pretty much obsolete now.

Heck, I used the app on a flight once to see where I was over and watched our speed.  Did you know planes start lifting off after hitting 150 mph?  No big deal but kinda cool I thought.

What are looking for from it?  Something you can’t have?

IMG_7597.thumb.jpeg.cf483ae7da55fe398a2ac9b288eb8c5a.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

What are looking for from it?  Something you can’t have?

I think I've laid out my want to find open hunting spots and their access spots.