• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

On X Hunt

leech~~

Question

8 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I think I've laid out my want to find open hunting spots and their access spots.  

OK. Maybe it just me reading your feedback as not impressed/having objections.  Hope it works out for ya if that’s the direction you go.

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

OK. Maybe it just me reading your feedback as not impressed/having objections.  Hope it works out for ya if that’s the direction you go.

Thanks for your feedback and help. I'm sure I will give it a try.  

Here's an example. 

Many state forest and Wildlife areas on the edges are accessible at the ends of small roads with private lands or homes on both sides. I have found many times that the land owners will plaster both sides of the road where it enters the woods with no Hunting or trespassing signs on their land trying to make it seem like the road and land behind it is theirs, when it's not. Lots of these roads are marked with State Land signs, but I've found many that have been ripped down or shot off their posts.  So, long story short, I would like to try and identify ownership of the roads and the land behind them so I don't have some banjo playing rednecks in a pickup truck pulling up on me!  😉

8 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I would like to try and identify ownership of the roads and the land behind them so I don't have some banjo playing rednecks in a pickup truck pulling up on me!  😉

Well if they come at ya a picking’ and a grinning’ they might just be hopin for a couple bucks for some shoes?

Yep, totally understand your angle on that situation.  Unfortunately an app can’t defeat everything.  They have disclaimers they can’t be used as “Legal” documentation.  We ran into exactly that problem in SD and chose to obey the signs that we were sure had bogus intent.  We called 2 different wardens in the area for clarity but never got a call back.  I commented about it on my game survey after the hunt.  I’m confident the local wardens would rather avoid telling a fellow resident to stand down and let us pass and just ignore our call.

We figured we needed to do a lot more research on the access and trespass laws before heading back out there.

On 1/19/2024 at 11:18 PM, leech~~ said:

I think I've laid out my want to find open hunting spots and their access spots.  

I've used OnX before but a buddy of mine recently showed me how to get land owner information using the Polaris Ride Command app. I can't remember how to do it but he showed me and it worked. Ride command app is free and you can use it for trail riding. 

Most counties have GIS interactive mapping on their websites that can do the same thing too. I know for sure that Scott county and Cass county has it.

21 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

I've used OnX before but a buddy of mine recently showed me how to get land owner information using the Polaris Ride Command app. I can't remember how to do it but he showed me and it worked. Ride command app is free and you can use it for trail riding. 

Most counties have GIS interactive mapping on their websites that can do the same thing too. I know for sure that Scott county and Cass county has it.

Thanks Dave.  I'll have to look at that, might be good for a trail map as well for my Dualsport riding. 👍