• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Muzzleloader question

Is there any harm in loading up the Ol' Muzzleloader, and having the powder/slug stuffed in the breech for the whole muzzleloader season?
I loaded up for the first day of muzzleloader season, and my gun has been loaded ever since. Bummer! Is there any problems that could occur with that thing sitting ready to fire for the duration of the season?

Yes, I take the primer out of the breech when I leave the woods.

My guess is you'll be using an extractor kit to get that sabot out at the end of the season.
And more importantly, have you forgotten the corrosive nature of black powder? I don't know if I'd want the stuff sitting against the metal in my barrel day and night for weeks on end......

I'll just be shootin the slug out the barrel when the season is done. (Or maybe tomorrow!!!)
I posted the question, mainly due to the nature of the powder. I am shooting the powder pellets.
I am very new to this whole muzzleloader thing, and I guess I was thinking the powder was corrosive after pulling the trigger. Well, now I am wondering if that powder in the breech is eating away at the metal as it sits there waiting to be fired????
What are other people doing? Should we be clearing the barrel after each outing(day) or weekend? Are the powder pellets that corrosive just sitting there doing nothing?

I change every few days, usually there can be some moisture that gets past the sabot. To unload I unscrew the breech plug and push the load out. Much better than spending 1/2 hour cleaning the thing. Then re-load with fresh dry powder. Also, I don't bring the gun inside anytime to avoid condensation, I keep it in my truck in the case.

in response to your dilema, i would recommend cleaning that rifle. the more you subject the rifle to temperature change the more chance of condensation. this will break down the powder and create unsatisfactory results in the breech of such gun. leechlake provided the best way for minimul cleanup, not to mention being able to save sabot and possibly pellets. i would recommend discarding the pellets though. hate like heck to have a misfire when mister big walks out.

in response to your dilema, i would recommend cleaning that rifle. the more you subject the rifle to temperature change the more chance of condensation. this will break down the powder and create unsatisfactory results in the breech of such gun. leechlake provided the best way for minimul cleanup, not to mention being able to save sabot and possibly pellets. i would recommend discarding the pellets though. hate like heck to have a misfire when mister big walks out.

Even keeping the smokepole in the truck to avoid temp fluctuations and condensation only goes so far. I just had a misfire and beleive it is related to condensation from leaving the pellets and sabot in for more than a week. We had a lot of temp changes this last week and last evening at 4:45 I had a nice doe 15 yards from me. My gun which usually goes snap.bang went snap.....poof.

I think Im gonna stick to my bow for the remainder of the season smile.gif

they do make CO2 dischagers for inlines that work very well with no mess. You could also get a very cheap ball puller that fits on the end of your cleaning rod that will pull any bullet. the pellets should just drop out whole if you didn't crack them when loading.
I reload after two days. It no fun to have a misfire after all your hard work and practice all year. I speak from experience. Pyrodex will suck up the smallest amout of moisture. better to be safe that sorry.

I always have loaded my rifles the following way since the early 80's and they perform flawlessly and still no rust etc leace it loaded till your done.
To keep my bp dry I clean the rifle making sure to run several dry patches thru the bore. I then load up and put masking tape over the muzzle of the barrel. Tape over the muzzle prevents moisture and foreign matter from entering the barrel and does not effect your accuracy. I also do it to my 7mm when hunting WI to keep snow out. After a days hunt if no shot is fired I put a small piece of leather over the nipple and lower the hammer over it. This keeps moisture from entering the powder charge .I then leave the gun outdoors until it is fired or the end of your hunt then it is fired and cleaned. I believe most of wet powder happens from condensation when bringing the rifle into a warm place or warm vehicle. I have followed the above procedure since '87 and have not had a misfire since then. I have hunted from rain to -0 with no problems. I use a T/c New Englander .54 with patched ball and 90 gr of FF BP. The only time I shoot a muzzeloader at the end of each day is when I use my flintlock. It is hard to plug the flash hole to seal out moisture. I have taken several deer with each. Good luck I tried pyrodex in the 80's had misfires and went back to BP and never looked back.
Good luck on your hunts
Mwal

During the shotgun season (in Zone 2) I shoot a Remington 700 muzzle-loader. My usual load is two 50 grain pyrodex pellets, and a 240gr Hornady XP sabot. I shoot 209 primers. When I load up and fail to shoot a deer I DO NOT unload at the end of each day, and keep the rifle outside in the cold to minimize condensation. I have probably left the charge in for no more than three days. Usually I get a deer before then. There has been NO rust problems so far for me. This has been my procedure for over 7yrs to be sure.

I have hunted with muzzleloader for six years and have never cleaned it or unloaded it during the season. I never bring it in from the cold to make sure that there is no condensation. I have never had a misfire and I usaully don't shoot at anything until the end of the season. I have no rust in the barrel of my muzzleloader. I shoot powder and try to make sure that no snow gets in the barrel or around the nipple. If you have the time to clean it it probably wouldn't hurt, but if you don't have the time I wouldn't worry about it.

I've toyed with BP sisnce the mid-seventies. All of the info is pertinent. After loading, cold storage is essential, regardless of the powder product used. After the second day though, I'd be removing the charge in one fashion or another. If the gun is fired, simply run a WD4o saoked patch down the hole and then a dry one. I'd avoid water at all costs until the season you are hunting is over. Something here that merits mention is the powder products. While we have cold weather this winter, take your hunting arm out to the gun club and shoot a target at the distance that you sighted at when it was warmer. What you see may be alarming. Many of the new products from pyrodex, the pellets from Pyrodex, hodgedon's 777 products and all of the new "smoke-free white powders will react to cold in different ways. One is the flashpoint. Many ignite at temps several hundred degree higher than than black powder and become quite sensitive in cold weather. The changes in ignition can change that way the gun shoots and where your ball is going. True blackpowder ignites 375 degrees lower than the next product in line, which is pyrodex pellets. While bp has the most consistant ignition, it is also the most corrosive to the weapon. And pyrodex pellets employ the use of black as well...the dark end is a bp igniter. Tape or fingercots ( they look like mini condoms) over the muzzle help with the barrel moisture. On in-lines you can take a piece of good old duct tape about four inches and place it over the breech to keep snow and rain from falling into and pooling there. And lastly...when you de-cap at the end of the day- toss the cap or primer and start with a new one each day. A hint for the guy with the .54...drop your load by 10 grains and use fff for powder. Then work upwards (5 gr. per change) to an accurate load. You'll find a bit more consistancy than when shooting ff with hardly any difference in pressure.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

One more thing. You don't have to unload your gun by shooting a pumpkin. In my inline, all I have to do is remove the bolt, unscrew the breech plug, and use my ramrod to push the pellets and sabot out the barrel. This is good for a number of reasons: I am not firing in the dark and alarming the neighbors, and I don't have to fully clean everything again because there is virtually no powder residue. Just a couple of patches and you are ready to go for the next day.
Oh, you DO NOT use bore butter when you are shooting sabots. You must have a clean barrel. No bore butter!