• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow amounts?

So totally Jazzed for a cold deer season instead of the warm ones I can't stand it! Wondering how much snow is on the ground in Aitkin county in particular. Anyone have any Ideas?

Ps. Noticed on the Red lake forum that the lake has ice today!!! Swamps shold be froze, chasing deer to the high grounds by the weekend for acorns! Love my Oak tree!

Gadget

Insp Gadget - Have you been to check you oaks this fall? Why I'm asking is we have alot of oaks where we hunt but have very few acorns this year. Last weekend when we where there we didn't find a whole lot of sign in the oaks but found the deer to be in the thick brush and cut overs.

The swamps are also very dry so hope we get some snow this winter.

Happy hunting and good luck!

------------------

the thief river area has a good 5 or so inchers and some kids from school said theres more up by warroad. so i would say 6 or 7 at least. finally got the snow for the deer in the fertile area and boy did the deer come out tonight. one field had 35 to 40 deer.

DinnerPail

We seemed to have lots o'acorns. Last time up was 2 weeks ago and we saw more than the past 2 years and they were good size too. Surprised us because of the dry weather. All i know for sure is that the swamp will be pretty cold so they will be more interested in the high ground than last year when they layed in the swamp all day trying to keep cool! The only deer/sign we saw was on a small island between 2 swamps and in the thick stuff on the edge of the swamps.

Good Luck!

Gadget

Keep in mind, until the last few days, there is still good grass in the swamps and they will stay there until the food and comfort is gone. (they do in our area) In our area it seems to take more than a couple days and lows in 20/ highs in 30-40s to render the good cover/easy eating swamps less desirable. I doubt that until the last 2 maybe 3 days they weren't ready to move. with next 3 mornings in mid low teens they should move good. Plus, the whole moon phase estrus is coming together like a textbook and the weather will be cool enough not to make the big boys in their winter coats lay during the warm days, and save all their bidness for nighttime. grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Insp Gadget (edited 11-04-2003).]

Hugo,
We got at least 3" near KR. I would say more around 5". The snow has been coming down all day but not too heavy. Winds are really blow'n! The snow should make for a nice opener. Do you hunt near Moose & KR?

We had 5"-6" in Floodwood ... The temps yesterday melted it down to about 3 (just warm enough to get it sticky and compress it).

As for the deer in swamps .. there are plenty. I have been working in the swamps every day and the deer have been feeding on dogwood(red brush) heavily... I never realized how much they like the stuff until this year harvesting it.

The deer are in the prime of the rut .. but most the activity I have seen has all been at night. I have already taken one deer this year with my bow and watching deer every time I'm out just before dark .. looks like I'm going to have to take a couple the *easy* (rifle)way starting this weekend. There are a lot of deer in the area we are both hunting. I am hunting in an area about 2 miles from the junction of 73 & 29.

If you want to organize some deer drives, or just want to hunt some different land .. contact me.

[email protected]

Fisher Dave--

how is the rutting activity around floodwood? Are the Bucks aggressive and on the move??? I plan on hunting up there second weekend....remember we chatted earlier on the smallies in the area...too cold to fish now frown.gif but i hope to see some deer movement up there!!!

fisher98