• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Genie garage door openerModel 3342 issue

Tom7227

My Genie model 3342 garage door opener has no power.  I have checked the breaker and there was no problem. Then used an extension cord that I checked and when I plugged in the opener and still no power to the unit.  The switch on the wall doesn't light up, the lights on the unit don't lite and there is nothing going on.  I have checked the manual and I see no reference to a reset button.   Any ideas what could be wrong?  The rig is maybe 6 or 7 years old.

Thanks for your time.

Tom

Well I gave up trying to get it to work and so I started to take it down.  Of course the bracket used to hold the torsion bar doesn't have a hole to allow the pin to come out.  Not sure that I want to start screwing around with the mounting piece of the torsion bar.  I think I have to call someone it.  Hurts to do it but getting to old to take chances with this sort of stuff.   Thanks for the input.

There might be a fuse on the board?

2 hours ago, Tom7227 said:

Well I gave up trying to get it to work and so I started to take it down.  Of course the bracket used to hold the torsion bar doesn't have a hole to allow the pin to come out.  Not sure that I want to start screwing around with the mounting piece of the torsion bar.  I think I have to call someone it.  Hurts to do it but getting to old to take chances with this sort of stuff.   Thanks for the input.

Can you post some pictures of what you are talking about? It should be pretty easy take the unit down.

Tom

If you can find a "direct replacement" for your opener try this. I have done this twice over the years replacing my Craftsman openers.

1) Unplug the power cord.

2) Pull the manual cord handle and release the garage door to close it.

3) Tie a rope around the chain rail and support it to a rafter a foot or two from the opener motor. "to hold it up in place when you unbolt it from the motor"

4) Back the chain tension off to loosen it and take it off the drive sprocket on top of the motor.

5) Unbolt the rail from the top of the drive motor and let it hang on the rope.

6) Unbolt the drive motor from the support brackets its mounted to and take it down.

7) Bolt the new motor up to the supports.

Then reverse all the steps 5-1 to install the new one.

Again this will work if you can find a direct replacement and can use the same chain and rail setup already in place.

Good Luck. ?

My 10 year old Craftsman died last fall. Bit of research found craftsman, genie, chamberlain all use the same chain rail system. Menards Chamberlain offered WiFi at a reasonable price (11% - $135). It attached directly to the rail with no mods. I did use all movable parts on 2 garage doors. 

Now if I think I forgot to close the garage door I pull over and use my smartphone to check. I also installed a $45 WiFi WYZE security camera with audio from Home Depot. It pings my phone when motion activated. If I see UPS, FedEx etc. pulling in my drive to deliver a package, I open the garage door, tell them to put in garage than shut the door after delivered. Past January I was on Ottertail fishing, UPS pulled into my drive to deliver a package. From my Wheel House, lines in the water, opened garage door, package now safe inside until I returned home 3 days later. Technology is really cool.

Screenshot_20210324-084806_myQ.thumb.jpg.d995a3d639880ab214ce145918f4d776.jpg