• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2021 GARDENS

snagfinder

On 5/6/2021 at 6:35 PM, fishingstar said:

anybody check out the deal at Runnings on plants. A flat of vegetables plants or flowers for $20 

sure wish i would of waited!!!!?? i figured garden plants would be like the canning lids. got my tomato and celery plant at fleet farm 3 weeks or so ago, when they werent fully stocked. got the rest there this past friday and they were well stocked. total i had a flat but think i got 40 bucks into them. 

i should be good to go now, and am going to start finishing plant wed and be done by the weekend. the stuff i already planted are out of the ground now!!!!!!!! 

11 hours ago, going4it said:

Been a rough start. No beans came up, about 5 peas sprouted. Maybe half of my cucumbers, 2 zucchini’s out of 20 or so. Hopefully replants work better. 

i was a little afraid of that to after starting out with decent weather then turning cold, but overall seems like its doing fine now!!!!!!!1 hoping to get my grass clipping around the cukes and tomatoes soon after the rains!!!!!!!

Do you have alot of squirrels? I was having trouble getting same stuff to sprout til I saw the culprits in action taking the seeds. A few years back i tried to plant sweet corn in my garden and none came up. One day mowing lawn saw a bunch of corn growing under a pine tree about 30 feet from the garden. Try do dig up an ungerminated seed. If it aint in there it cant grow.

there are a few squirrels around, bunnies too but as soon as things start emerging from the ground i put up a 2 ft chicken wire fence around the garden. 

the skurrels seem more content with the sunflower seeds under the bird feeders!!!!

I do what I can to have as few of them around as I can. Thank goodness for .22 silents. Probably taken out 20 or so this winter. I’ll have to look to see if I can find the ungerminated seeds. Thanks for the tip. Couple pepper plants got hit from frost. Hoping they come back, just the tops are black. 

On 6/1/2021 at 8:54 PM, going4it said:

I do what I can to have as few of them around as I can. Thank goodness for .22 silents. Probably taken out 20 or so this winter. I’ll have to look to see if I can find the ungerminated seeds. Thanks for the tip. Couple pepper plants got hit from frost. Hoping they come back, just the tops are black. 

dang ya should be cleaning and cooking dem skurrels!!!!!!! only ral tree rat trouble makers i have issues with are them little red buzzards!!!!!?

but holy hannah its been tough with this weather to keep that garden alive..........sheez  ?

Tomatoes are growing like weeds too bad so are the weeds!! Still no beans from second planting and they are there just not germinating and never had any issues in the past. Frustrating to say the least. 

Been gone for a week fishing. Got home to a weed take over plus the deer topped the green beans. I planted more last night and gave everything a good drink hope that will with the weeds today. Did have strawberries when we got home and radishes probably find more after I do some weeding.

i got back today also today after being gone since tuesday fishing. i have no deer issues but before i left the garden was weed free...only to come back and see weeds all over!!!!!! ?

my readishes were done before i left and i pulled out the lettuce and spinach cause they turned bitter. but they sure were tasty before i left!!!!!!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, smurfy said:

i got back today also today after being gone since tuesday fishing. i have no deer issues but before i left the garden was weed free...only to come back and see weeds all over!!!!!! ?

my readishes were done before i left and i pulled out the lettuce and spinach cause they turned bitter. but they sure were tasty before i left!!!!!!!!!!!

Hot and dry equals good weed growth weather! ??

I had to start fornicating with my zucchinis in the mornings cause there aint a bee around. Apples are falling of the tree guessing they didnt get pollinated either. In town garden i can water looks pretty good but my country stuff lookin pretty rough. Purslane sure seems to love this dry weather.

20 hours ago, snagfinder said:

I had to start fornicating with my zucchinis in the mornings cause there aint a bee around. Apples are falling of the tree guessing they didnt get pollinated either. In town garden i can water looks pretty good but my country stuff lookin pretty rough. Purslane sure seems to love this dry weather.

?? guess i havent paid much attention lately, but have had some bees working my wifes flowers a couple weeks ago.

we have some friends, she is a flower nut. i stopped there last year and she had bees up the wazoo. the flowers they were on what called sediums....i went out an bought 3 to plant .

Got a few tomatoes struggling after being away for a few days. The rest is doing well. First round of sweet corn are above my knee already. Second batch planted start of June are probably a foot tall. 5 bean plants is all I got after 3 rounds of planting. Save time picking them this year at least.