• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2021 GARDENS

snagfinder

Its gotta life cycle its gonna tassle after so many days small or not. I have some tasseling now some is chest high some is knee high. Alot of sweet corn only gets 5-6 feet tall and when the tassels shoot out that adds a foot or so pretty quick. Dont know if the short stuff will produce or not. Dad says it will just be easier for the coons to get it

On 7/6/2021 at 4:04 PM, smurfy said:

This cool weather and rain today sure perked things up.

IMG_20210706_155256391_HDR.jpg

Smurfy any other reason besides maybe weed control you put grass clippings under your cucumbers? I do under tomatoes to try to stop blight, but curious on your reasoning on cucumbers. Thanks. 

use it mainly for weed control but also to help keep moisture in the ground around the plants. AND so the cukes dont lay in direct contact with the ground!!!!!!!!!

i usually dont have access to fresh cut green grass. i usually and most times get my grass from the city lots where they dump there grass clippings. most of it comes from the baseball field so i know its wood stuff with very few weeds. 

looking good the sweet corn looks like it's almost ready for the coons to come to visit. good day to spend time in the garden I have concord the weeds from last month. I'm getting more zucchini then I can handle I'm trying to pawn them off on the neighbors.

12 hours ago, fishingstar said:

has anybody trimmed the tops of your tomatoes? mine are 6' tall and looks like a jungle. I have done this before and it stops the growth of branches and puts it to the tomatoes. 

nope i havent. i've heard of people that pull the bottom little branches though for the same reason. my fight right now is the tomato wilt. plants looks sick. but the plants for the most part have a fair amount of tomatoes on them.