• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2021 GARDENS

snagfinder

the amish just down the road have sweet corn tasseling out..  and it's 3 feet tall and not much higher than that...  

Its gotta life cycle its gonna tassle after so many days small or not. I have some tasseling now some is chest high some is knee high. Alot of sweet corn only gets 5-6 feet tall and when the tassels shoot out that adds a foot or so pretty quick. Dont know if the short stuff will produce or not. Dad says it will just be easier for the coons to get it

On 7/6/2021 at 4:04 PM, smurfy said:

This cool weather and rain today sure perked things up.

IMG_20210706_155256391_HDR.jpg

Smurfy any other reason besides maybe weed control you put grass clippings under your cucumbers? I do under tomatoes to try to stop blight, but curious on your reasoning on cucumbers. Thanks. 

Do you guys use dried grass clippings or is that fresh cuttings? I used to use fresh clippings and ended up with mold and blight. found out it was from the grass.

use it mainly for weed control but also to help keep moisture in the ground around the plants. AND so the cukes dont lay in direct contact with the ground!!!!!!!!!

i usually dont have access to fresh cut green grass. i usually and most times get my grass from the city lots where they dump there grass clippings. most of it comes from the baseball field so i know its wood stuff with very few weeds. 

You can't ask for better clippings then that. I stopped using it all together but this would be the year to use it. Lots  of weeds and very dry but my yard is brown so that's not going to be any help.

looking good the sweet corn looks like it's almost ready for the coons to come to visit. good day to spend time in the garden I have concord the weeds from last month. I'm getting more zucchini then I can handle I'm trying to pawn them off on the neighbors.

Yea that corn took off big time my buddy said. He told me to help myself when it's ready. It's the peaches and cream variety.  I about started droolin.?

Peas are popping, pulled a few yellow squash so far. Cherry tomatoes are starting to turn red, first round of corn is tasseled out. Couple of weeks and the harvest should be in high gear. Can’t wait for first blt of the season. 

has anybody trimmed the tops of your tomatoes? mine are 6' tall and looks like a jungle. I have done this before and it stops the growth of branches and puts it to the tomatoes. 

12 hours ago, fishingstar said:

has anybody trimmed the tops of your tomatoes? mine are 6' tall and looks like a jungle. I have done this before and it stops the growth of branches and puts it to the tomatoes. 

nope i havent. i've heard of people that pull the bottom little branches though for the same reason. my fight right now is the tomato wilt. plants looks sick. but the plants for the most part have a fair amount of tomatoes on them.

If you dont like the big jungley  plants buy varieties that are determinant. Mine are starting to die off from the bottom up like they do every year about now. Wish i could figure out why.

40 minutes ago, snagfinder said:

If you dont like the big jungley  plants buy varieties that are determinant. Mine are starting to die off from the bottom up like they do every year about now. Wish i could figure out why.

i have no problem with big jungle size plants. mine like to do  the same thing snagfinder. my current issue is the wilt and driving me crazy. so i've discussed this with 3 different people. my brother who by know means is an expert, a guy with a  degree from the U of M in agriculture and does farm field inspections for a living, and the local farm coop people here in town, here is the rundown they gave me.

BROTHER.......he lives in wisc, has his tomatoes in pots..........mine are in the garden, no raised beds or pots. he did alot of googling. so he takes his pots and dumps about 3 at a time in a wheel barrel. mixes it all up, ands some fertilizer new soil and some type of sulfate in the dirt. says that pretty much took care of it.

U of M guy.............explained to me it might be my soil and the PH level. maybe to much acid for tomatoes.  i told him what my brother did and though by adding the sulfate would help IF that was the issue. the one thing he also said when i told him my routine with the leaves and grass clippings........that stuff takes time to break down and actually benift the garden plants.

COOP GUY..........when i talked to him i explained to him my issue. he said right away the same thing........could be the acid in the soil. he asked if i put grass clippings down i said  yea and i take my maple leaves in the fall, mulch them up then till them in. he said right away your soil has to much acid for tomatoes and we headed right for a rack and gave me a bag of aluminum sulfate. so a spread a somewhat liberal about around the plants and watered it in. he said give it a couple weeks and it should see a difference.....hopefully. this friday will be 2 weeks,  and i think i am seeing a little bit of improvement, although some of the plants could be to little to late.

in my research and directions on the bag it appears the ideal time to put that sulfate in the ground prior to planting in the spring. so NOW i am contemplating how to go about this next year. do i not use grass clippings and not put the leaves in and till up????  i try my best to rotate things every year. but i know i will be adding the sulfate before i plant...just havent decided if i am going to put it in the area i plan to plant the tomatoes of the whole garden.