• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To Shoot Or Not To Shoot

Hawg

I know this will be a little controversial, but what birds do you definitely not want around your feeders? Crows and Grackles for sure, any others?

5 hours ago, Hawg said:

I know this will be a little controversial, but what birds do you definitely not want around your feeders? Crows and Grackles for sure, any others?

STARLINGS!!!!!!!!!! Red wing blackbirds!!!!!

Starlings and grackles. Luckily the one starling I had in my yard only stuck around for a few days. Eventually, if more show up for extended periods, I will break out the pellet gun. As far as grackles go, they’re easy to drive away, and usually stay away after that. I tolerate red wing black birds.

My dad used to pay me 50 cents for every grackle or starling I popped off the dog food bowl.  Best job I ever had.

We also used to get clouds of starlings that would cover everything with pooop where they roosted.  It was pretty cool to punch a hole out of the cloud with the 12 gauge.  

9 minutes ago, minky said:

Perfect job for the air rifle! I have a friend that eats crows, says thier good!

ok, whats the difference between an air rifle and pellet gun?????? my pellet gun took a dump. looked at a few, some with scopes???? these pump up things seem to vary in accuracy??????

I would go with the break action single pump.   Some use a spring and some a gas cylinder.   There are a few brands and a bunch of models to choose from.  I have a beeman.   Gamo is well known.  And I see that some are branded Remington, not sure who makes them.   

And be sure that the scope is made for airguns.   

I have both spring and gas. Definitely get a single pump and even though my RWS springer is more accurate than my gas I would still recommend the Crossman gas that's about $65-$75. This is the sale price and they are always on sale somewhere. Don't fall for the big ugly barrel that claims to be a silencer, it's not any quieter. You can leave a gas loaded forever with no harm and they are easier to maintain. My Gamo is 100% inaccurate junk, it shoots all over the place. The scopes are usually very cheap on the <$175 or so ones but I even tried an upgraded scope on my Game with no success. The pump up ones are just too much work and not that much cheaper. Most all of the single pump ones are 1000 feet per second+.

Edited by Hawg

I had seen someone selling on of those .177's because they were to loud. I live in town, need silence, accuracy and limited distance of say 70 yards. I'm kinda limited.?

70 yds is more than any pellet gun will be any good. These make a different noise than guns, I live in town to with no problems. You can buy sub sonic 22 shells that are VERY quiet too. They only go about 650-700 ft per second but even those probably would not be accurate to 70 yds. I use those on woodchucks, my neighborhood is over run with them.