• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Buddy Heater Won't Light

Paradice

You said you changed the LP tank. Was it using a hose or a direct connect 1lb ? If it is a hose it can take a few minutes to get the gas into the heater. I like to heat the thermocouple up with the heater set on 3 to get the gas to move faster. Even that can take a while if you are using a 10' hose.

When I take out my big buddy heater for the first time of the year I use a lighter on the thermocouple and pilot to get the gas through the hose. This normally take a few minutes and then the pilot will light. After that it's good for the year. This is with a 20 pound tank and 6 foot hose. 

On 11/23/2018 at 6:38 AM, Jim Almquist said:

You said you changed the LP tank. Was it using a hose or a direct connect 1lb ? If it is a hose it can take a few minutes to get the gas into the heater. I like to heat the thermocouple up with the heater set on 3 to get the gas to move faster. Even that can take a while if you are using a 10' hose.

I just use 1lb tanks.  I haven't been back home to try any of these tips yet.  

Do the cleaning others have suggested. Just an FYI, this will be the 11th season I've used my Buddy heater with a 20# tank and I have never had an issue. I did have to clean it once when I had a weak pilot light. What I do to prevent problems is keep a small plastic bag over the end of the hose whenever it's not in use (the hose is kept attached to the heater) and when I put it away for the season, I put it in a big trash bag and seal the bag as tight as I can get it. It's a little bit of a PIA, but I'm convinced it's why I don't have the problems I see so many guys have every year. Hope this helps. 

2 hours ago, cavalierowner said:

Do the cleaning others have suggested. Just an FYI, this will be the 11th season I've used my Buddy heater with a 20# tank and I have never had an issue. I did have to clean it once when I had a weak pilot light. What I do to prevent problems is keep a small plastic bag over the end of the hose whenever it's not in use (the hose is kept attached to the heater) and when I put it away for the season, I put it in a big trash bag and seal the bag as tight as I can get it. It's a little bit of a PIA, but I'm convinced it's why I don't have the problems I see so many guys have every year. Hope this helps.  

Do you have the filter on the end of the hose?

If your using the l lbs tanks and it's working then it not the heater but your dirty hose clogged up, not letting it purge long enough to get the air out or a bad tank valve. Are you using a brand new tank?  They may have not purged the air out before filling. Had that happen at a station up at LOW once. 12 mile trip back into town when I should have been fishing!! ?