• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spinners for stream trout

minky

I used a small  brown and yellow panther Martian last spring and caught a fish. What other colors and kinds should I get? I purchased a little bigger panther Martian black with yellow dots gold blade, 2 meppe, a roadrunner and 2 small basic spinners.

I've done alright with natural colors, but that's what I have.

I usually have a variety of spinners, couple silver or gold castmasters and just start tossing them until I find something that works.  

I've fished pools that a black mepps was the hot ticket and then two weeks later it was the silver cast master that worked.  Not sure there's a best color as much as a best day for that color.

The best rapala is a small crayfish husky jerk. The best mepps is what I call the “bleeding bumble bee”. It’s black, red, and yellow. I’ve caught more trout and smallies on that lure than everything else in my tackle box combined. Black panther martins. I had one that was black with brown dots. Was the best! I lost it of course :mad: I can’t find another one, not even on their page. Black with red dots are easier to find. Rule of thumb, dark and natural colors for wild trout. Bright and shiny colors for stocked trout.

Panther Martins and small Rapalas here too.  

Yellow with red dots/gold blade is my go to spinner, but I’ve had good luck with other colors.  Other spinners not so much.  Too much line twist with other brands IMO.  And I don’t like using swivels.

I would agree with the crawfish colored rapala but I’ve had good luck on the trout colors too, particularly brown trout.  They are cannabalistic buggers.

I’ll add that the rod and line set up has a big effect on how you use whatever it is that you’re using and the areas you’re using it in.  My number one set up is a 6-1/2 foot ultra light with 4 lb test but having a medium action rod with 6 lb test is my first back up.

Shorter or longer rods with heavier line will have a big impact on presentation of small lures.

Edited by Wanderer

buy a medium action 6 foot spinning rod...put 8 pound power pro on it.

Buy a truck load of panther martins in deluxe gold in size 9 and

size 9 panthers yellow body red spots and silver blade.  Purchase a

big net and share photos.

Fish 400 yards below manicured areas in the down trees and cut corners.

Expect to lose lots of spinners.

brownonehand.JPG

don't shoot photos with identifiable land marks in photos and turn off the GPS function on your cellphone or camera.

brown2617.JPG

deep water throw a second smallest zip lure.

a countdown in natural colors works too.

husky jerks can work well too

no swivel needed with power pro.

if use mono check for line cuts when panthers flip over line.

panthers out fish all other spinners.  55 years using them.

BronzeCU.JPG

Just now, LHarris said:

deep water throw a second smallest zip lure.

a countdown in natural colors works too.

husky jerks can work well too

no swivel needed with power pro.

if use mono check for line cuts when panthers flip over line.

panthers out fish all other spinners.  55 years using them.

BronzeCU.JPG

If you are offended by the blood in the photo you picked the wrong sport.  Even tiny flies can cause trout to bleed.  This trout was harvested by person who caught it.