• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobilers and driveways

SuzannaGrumpy

I’m just cranky about my asphalt driveway. I’m on a state highway. Recently a couple Snowmobilers put up directional and yield signs on each side of the driveway entrance near the culverts. The traffic has substantially increased this year. I was so happy to have had the asphalt put down because I use a cane now and could keep it free of ice allowing me to get my own mail in the winter.....not this year. I’m afraid to have it plowed and cleaned. Not only do the snowmobiles pull  the snow back onto the driveway making a new mess everyday, but I’m worried about the asphalt being damaged. They don’t mind digging up the grass so what’s to stop them from driving on it bare? To add insult, a groomer came by this week and groomed even the driveway. I read that guys don’t even drive on their own driveways but mines ok. I can look away from the jumping of my driveway as if you crash, it’s on you...you are disturbing my sleep going the excessive speed to jump it though.

can someone help me out? I really don’t want an altercation. I feel if I fell on the ice they’d drive around me or just jump over me. Thanks in advance.

A couple years ago I just got done plowing my driveway with the wheeler. Along comes an adult snowmobiler with his kid following behind. Guy crosses driveway and stops on top of opposite bank. Then he guns his machine sending all the snow back in the driveway. This is not a trail, just random ditch riders. Well I was outside and saw him do it. I jumped in my truck and cut him off at a road crossing 2 blocks away. I jumped out and royally chewed his azz and told him what a bad example he was setting for the kid. I think he got the message. For awhile after that I sprayed water on the banks to freeze them. No respect, they wouldn't want you doing that to their driveway.:angry: 

some people are bad apples that give the sport a bad name, I as a snowmobiler have respect for driveways. FYI driveway approaches are on the public right of way, you may not block them, or place anything that can injure someone. trail groomers actually do you a favor by knocking down the bank, to keep it level. unless your groomer was not well trained, they will not groom over your driveway.

I’ve personally been on both sides of this.

Used to love getting as much air as possible over driveways but I never understood gunning it on the other side after crossing.  I guess some are just mild adrenaline junkies. ;)

I quit doing that for one, because it’s illegal, and two, not safe if the homeowner happens to be leaving or getting the mail at the time.

Now that I have a posted trail going over my driveway, I find it just rude, obnoxious and irritating to deal with 4 wheelers and sleds gunning it over the gravel and making ruts and eroding my base to the point of it being an expense to either plow and pack the class 5 back in place or spend the money to pave it.  I hate having to bounce over two ruts with my trailers and whatever I’m hauling in them too.

I think that’s the worst part for me.  Either jump it or be mellow on the throttle the entire way over.

I’ve seen trail groomers go around driveways before, making me wonder if that truly is a requirement or they were simply being courteous.  But I agree with knoppers, they should not drag over the driveway.  Maybe they think they’re taking the snow off for ya.  Call the people responsible for the trail and ask them for suggestions.

Edited by Wanderer

2 hours ago, Finns said:

FYI driveway approaches are on the public right of way, you may not block them, or place anything that can injure someone.

May a person park their own vehicle in their own driveway approach?

I would think so, it would be no different than parking on the shoulder of the road. my commit was more related to people that put up barriers, to keep others from crossing there approach.

• Thank you for the responses. I do know it’s a right of wayband not blockable...except...I seen one coming and did park in the area after work this week.  In a split second she/he turned around and went the other way. My truck would fill the approach but I only had the car that day.—this response is what I’m trying to avoid.
  • knoppers-there was no bank there...there were little dots through the snow that was pulled back onto the driveway. Heck, he was up near the tree line. Wanderer-it’s a small rural area, I’ll be the ...
  • The snow and ice is melting down to the tar today, they drove in it anyway. It’s 130 am and ya...time for jumping. Thanks for all the answers. I don’t feel alone in feeling it’s rude. That helps. 

21 hours ago, SuzannaGrumpy said:

I’m just cranky about my asphalt driveway. I’m on a state highway. Recently a couple Snowmobilers put up directional and yield signs on each side of the driveway entrance near the culverts. The traffic has substantially increased this year. I was so happy to have had the asphalt put down because I use a cane now and could keep it free of ice allowing me to get my own mail in the winter.....not this year. I’m afraid to have it plowed and cleaned. Not only do the snowmobiles pull  the snow back onto the driveway making a new mess everyday, but I’m worried about the asphalt being damaged. They don’t mind digging up the grass so what’s to stop them from driving on it bare? To add insult, a groomer came by this week and groomed even the driveway. I read that guys don’t even drive on their own driveways but mines ok. I can look away from the jumping of my driveway as if you crash, it’s on you...you are disturbing my sleep going the excessive speed to jump it though.

can someone help me out? I really don’t want an altercation. I feel if I fell on the ice they’d drive around me or just jump over me. Thanks in advance.

Suzanna, if you had not saw the signs in the ditch on either side of your driveway in the past nor had a snowmobile groomer come through there. It sounds like one of the local snowmobile clubs may have added that stretch of ditch to their trail system. You may inquire around the area which snowmobile club is grooming and maintaining the trails in the area and talk to them. They can talk to their members about driveway jumping but they really can't stop some of the young nonmember folks around there from doing it. Please do not do anything like icing down the ditch, blocking it with things like logs, wire or anything else. If someone gets injured as a result of something you did, you will be liable.  :(

13 hours ago, Finns said:

FYI driveway approaches are on the public right of way, you may not block them, or place anything that can injure someone.

May a person park their own vehicle in their own driveway approach?

I have a very short driveway (2 car lengths) and I always have 2 cars on it. Couple times a year the city says I cant block the sidewalk. (There is no sidewalk there) But they say thats where it would be if there was one so I cant block it   LOL

Lol

Leech-I don’t remember saying I was going to block the driveway with logs or wire. They will begin hitting the 4x4’s beneath there that have been there to keep cars from driving on the grass. Not my deal. I was only looking for some guidance on if I’m overreacting or if there should be som me]angers employee. So, ya, like everything else, it’s a lack of manners and I’m not crazy...yet. 

48 minutes ago, SuzannaGrumpy said:

Lol

Leech-I don’t remember saying I was going to block the driveway with logs or wire. They will begin hitting the 4x4’s beneath there that have been there to keep cars from driving on the grass. Not my deal. I was only looking for some guidance on if I’m overreacting or if there should be som me]angers employee. So, ya, like everything else, it’s a lack of manners and I’m not crazy...yet. 

Didn't say you would.

On 2/18/2018 at 9:33 AM, leech~~ said:

Please do not do anything like icing down the ditch, blocking it with things like logs, wire or anything else. If someone gets injured as a result of something you did, you will be liable.  :(

Edited by leech~~

Like Leech said, it appears that a grant in aid trail is running through your area. I would urge you to contact the club president or another representative and try to work out a solution. They may be able to even re-route the trail to avoid your driveway but you will not know unless you engage in a civil discussion with a representative of the club. Just let them know you have concerns and see if an agreement can be had. 

I would be surprised if the club doesn't have a landowners event every fall that you could attend and talk to club members as well to keep reminding them each year of your concerns.

Most riders are going to cross a driveway in the ROW as if it were any other crossing.  Start putting up barricades or berms to impede crossing the the ROW and heads will butt.  Point is you may have paved the driveway onto the ROW and feel some ownership but the law says you don't control it.   I see it all the time where a landowner blocks of the ROW.   The local club might contact you or Law Enforcement will to inform you to remove the barrier.  

I’ve shoveled the end of the driveway four times today. I left the shovel down there for them. No one has used it after crossing. Thankfully it’s melting time next week. 

Standing down there and one of them pulls up onto the mound, stops, rips off and throws all the snow back. Our driveway is uphill. Without that space, the car doesn’t get up. Plus, just another pile for the homeowner.

Before this weekends snow, it had melted down to the grass. Yep. Grass dragging ditch riders we had. Luckily there’s enough ice on the driveway on most spots. Everyone is right about it being a right of way...common courtesy to pull up onto the highway seems to have been lost. This gives snowmobiles a bad name. 

I shouldn’t need to call the ‘club.’ They can see my driveway when they fly over it....get the problem? 

Not everyone is ripping through like this. Some obviously have respect and work over the snow easy.

1 hour ago, SuzannaGrumpy said:

I’ve shoveled the end of the driveway four times today. I left the shovel down there for them. No one has used it after crossing. Thankfully it’s melting time next week. 

Standing down there and one of them pulls up onto the mound, stops, rips off and throws all the snow back. Our driveway is uphill. Without that space, the car doesn’t get up. Plus, just another pile for the homeowner.

Any chance you could post some pictures so we could see how it is set up?

common courtesy to pull up onto the highway seems to have been lost.

I don't understand. Are you saying that a snowmobiler riding the ditch should go up onto a highway every time they encounter a driveway? Please keep in mind, If you live on a state or county road it is actually illegal for the snowmobile to operate on the inside slope, shoulder or roadway.

I shouldn’t need to call the ‘club.’ 

You do if you want any chance of solving your problem.

6 hours ago, SuzannaGrumpy said:

Before this weekends snow, it had melted down to the grass. Yep. Grass dragging ditch riders we had. Luckily there’s enough ice on the driveway on most spots. Everyone is right about it being a right of way...common courtesy to pull up onto the highway seems to have been lost. This gives snowmobiles a bad name. 

I shouldn’t need to call the ‘club.’ They can see my driveway when they fly over it....get the problem? 

Not everyone is ripping through like this. Some obviously have respect and work over the snow easy.

So, how are the 4 wheeler in the summer? Will you be back with a report about them and the mud and ruts they leave on your driveway this summer?  If your not going to get involved for your property issue, it's hard to get others to care either. ;)