• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass aoy Championship at Mille Lacs

RuddyDuck

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 4:22 PM, blakjack23 said:

I'll be out there as a marshal! :cool:  I was on the waiting list but got an email last week asking me to get in....so of course I took it.  I can't wait. There's a dinner Wednesday night with all the Marshals and pro's so I should get to meet everyone.  And of course I'll be riding with different guys Thursday, Friday and Sunday.   Hopefully I'll get Swindle one day since he's the one trying to hold off the pack right now, although he's got a BIG lead.     Of course there's a lot of big names that'd be fun/interesting to ride with.

Congrats!  I got in for marshalling on mille lacs also can't wait!  I was a marshal down in la crosse last week and ended up day 1 with Palaniuk, day 2 Bobby Lane, and day 3 Justin Lucas.  Its worth every penny.  Just hold on! They drive it like they stole it!

4 hours ago, L.Bialka said:

Congrats!  I got in for marshalling on mille lacs also can't wait!  I was a marshal down in la crosse last week and ended up day 1 with Palaniuk, day 2 Bobby Lane, and day 3 Justin Lucas.  Its worth every penny.  Just hold on! They drive it like they stole it!

Sounds cool.  What's the cost? 

Heading up in the morning. Plan on fishing a little each day and take in the events. The wind looks like it's going to stay down through the event, so the guys should be all over the lake.

14 hours ago, bklimek said:

I was on the marshal waiting list, 30 something if I remember correctly, not sure if I would have got in but I'm regretting I backed or didn't sign up sooner.

I was 14th on the waiting list I think, so you may have had a chance.   And I had signed up the first day registration opened.

11 hours ago, rascal23 said:

Sounds cool.  What's the cost? 

Heading up in the morning. Plan on fishing a little each day and take in the events. The wind looks like it's going to stay down through the event, so the guys should be all over the lake.

$125 to be a Marshall.  That includes a shirt, a dinner with the pro's, and I'm told...a gift bag with some gift cards and such.    I think $125 is a small price to pay for 3 days of learning from the pro's though.

Edited by blakjack23

I work in the area twice a week and Tuesday ran into a few pro's.  Absolutely awesome people.  They couldn't quite understand our infatuation with Walleyes in MN.  A few of them showed me cell phone pics of walleyes they caught out pre-fishing which I thought was neat and one walleye was even a guys personal best.  A few reports of fish in the high six pounds and one over seven.  I've never been into bass fishing but am going to watch the weigh in.  I think 5 bass totaling 30 pounds is not out of the question.

Kettle 

I liked it when Feider was questioned on Bassmaster Live why he was fishing where he was (east side), he responded with there's less pressure on this end but the really big ones live on the south end.  He was then asked why he wasn't there fishing and he responded with the fact that he had to save those spots for his local tournament next weekend.  Thought it was pretty cool that even though he just won a huge tournament he is still looking forward to fishing a local level tournament.

What a great tournament for Feider - and he never even had to touch some of his best stuff. When you can whack the best of the Elites by several pounds without even fishing the juice, that's when you know you are really a hammer on that lake!

It was a great event, really good attendance, some terrific seminars on Saturday...I think that B.A.S.S. will be back on Mille Lacs in the not too distant future. I also think Mille Lacs will possibly land as the #1 bass lake in the country in their annual issue next year after the records set last week.

I bet most of the anglers thought that Fieder was crazy when before the tournament he told them that it might take 80 pounds to win it, and he goes to crush them by close to 6 pounds.  Has there ever been as large of a margin like that where the Pro that won it was on his so called "Home lake"?

Also it had to be cool when KVD is asking you how you're catching them and then they trade hair jigs, if it were we that jig would never see the water.

Phenomenal fish were displayed at weigh in. I think this will help the economy there once it airs on tv and what the anglers were saying about the fishery. I wonder if the state is calculating how much money was generated in the area; it would be nice to hear the dollar amount. My wife and I had a great time there and getting to meet many pros was fantastic. Can't wait to see it on tv in October. Anyone know what days it's being shown? And is it on espn or espn2?  

What a great  tournament!  We spent 4 days on the water - watched some, fished more. Like I thought, they really spread out leaving a lot of water to wet a line.  Thursday we were out on Garrison reef watching from a distance, but still able to find our own little pod of fish.  Surprisingly when we were on the south-east end on friday, there were very few boats. We watched Steve Kennedy sit on his spot, then we went and did our own thing all alone - and caught a few.  And we stayed deep.  Apparently KVD, Alton Jones and Keith Poche hit shallower areas run and gun style, Fish caught everywhere, everyway.  No doubt, schools of pigs were deep though.

What I thought was cool, was how most of them treated the lake like it was a 1000 acre pond, running everywhere without a second thought.  Rough water and distance really didn't seem to mean much to them.  I'm really looking forward to hearing from the marshals.  They have a LOT to tell.

Attendance seemed great, better than I thought, and I think the pro's thought so too.     Even some resorts that haven't been too friendly to the smallmouth, were full and even had some pros staying there.  Maybe they've had a change of heart :whistle:.

Bassmasters  WILL be back, if not next year, then the year after.  They're not going to want to wait too long in case regs don't change.