• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newer Bass Fisherman

Cret Jigs

Hi guys ... I have been a walleye and Pan Fish guy for most of my life with Smallies on the Rum River growing up.  I recently moved to a small lake in Princeton area that has nice bass and I am HOOKED on Bass since late summer last year!  I mostly just used open face with 8 IB test on it.   But, I really need to out fit with proper equipment.   Please recommend me a fairly nice set for: (not super expensive but medium priced)  rod / reel / line

1.  Set up for Texas rig fishing

2.  Spinner baits / bigger tube jigs

3.  Casting Artificial Frogs as I have excellent spots for that.

Greatly appreciate your help with this.  I am so hooked on catching those bass as is so much fun!!  I have been missing out for years fishing for these!

Bob

Welcome to the world of bass fishing my friend. It really is an addiction haha. My family and friends say I have a problem...I suppose I agree haha.

From what I have read it sounds like you don't want to spend all that much. For budget purposes here is what I would recommend. 

Reel - Lews Speed Spool - Retail is $100. Probably best $100 reel out there. If you want to move up in price to the $120-$150 then there are a ton of great options but for $100 I don't think anything beats the Lews

Rods - 13 Fishing Omen Black 2, Dobyns Fury - I haven't used the Furys yet but I have 7 Omens and love them. The Omens run around $110-$130. The Dobyns Fury's are $110. 

1.  Set up for Texas rig fishing - 7ft MH rod - Line = 12 or 15lbs Seaguar Invizx. I use 12

2.  Spinner baits / bigger tube jigs - 7ft MH - Line = Same as above or you can go with 15lbs Trilene Big Game

3.  Casting Artificial Frogs as I have excellent spots for that. 7ft-7'6ft Heavy Action - Line = 50lbs Power Pro braid

What dollar amount are you looking to spend for each set up?

I think I would spend more on the texas rigged setup and you could maybe spend a little less on the other two. You could also use this set up for jigs. A spinner bait rod doesn't really need to be anything too fancy.  Just to warn you, it can get addicting and by the end of the summer instead of just 3 setups, you might find yourself with 10 sitting in your boat!! 

Edited by RuddyDuck

Great info ... The lake I fish is pretty clear water but has depth and lily pads and great weeds.  I am looking to add 2 combo's and really wanted to get by with  $150.00 each but I also might just go one quality outfit and then save towards the other. 

I remember that I have a pleuger Presidents bait casting reel from 2002 that I hardly ever used.  I think it was quite an expensive one at the time that I got as a gift way back.   I think that one needs a nice rod ... and good line.  What would you use that one for as I think it needs heavier casting stuff.  So that's one out fit?   All I need is to put on a rod and line.     So then I can outfit an open face set up for Texas Rigs and tube jigs for about $200.00.   I remember putting that Bait caster on a cheap rod and getting frustrated with the snarls but I figured it out but haven't used it for years.

Bob

7'MH is about the most versatile rod you can get.  It really is the do all.. I prefer a softer tip for spinnerbaits, but thats just me.

The above advice is very solid, for the frog rod you are going to want at least 50lb braid, I prefer powerpro.  Texas rod 12-16lb copoly or floro is good!

On the Lewis reels ... can you throw lighter tackle pretty good?  My old President Plueger seems like it needed to throw heavy or didn't work good.  I was watching some fishing show over the weekend and they were pitching frogs in Minnesota lakes and the fever hit me bad!!  when the summer gets hot ... out come the frogs!!  I can't wait as I caught some pretty nice ones last year but lost a ton because of light rod & tackle!  

Small spinner baits seemed to always get me a snarl ... I had to use bigger spinner baits and I used to throw a DR SPOON with a purple worm for Pike occasionally.   But anything remotely light was always a snarl issue.  I tried all kinds of adjustments but had a tough time casting shad raps and some cranks.   But I only had cheap line on it ... maybe that could have been the problem in 2002 with it as I always didn't bother with it after that.

Shad raps and your average baitcaster don't mix that well. Especially if there is a slight breeze in your face. It can be done, but I have to use lighter line than I normally use. For that reel I would maybe stick with baits 3/8oz and up. 

For a cheap frog rod, I use Cabelas Pro Guide Bass Series Flippin Stick. It is 7'6" and Heavy power. Works fine for me and runs about $60, but I got it on sale for $40 or so. They just were on sale for 30% off but that is over. Usually that comes up every once in awhile though. I also just got a Tournament ZX Jig/worm rod and for $70, it seems like a pretty decent rod. They also make other actions in the ZX series.  

If you really want to go cheap, they have Black Max combos for $60 bucks right now. There ok, but don't always last that long.They are graphite framed so they can flex sometimes on techniques that use a heavy hook set. Might be an option if you want to add a 4th or 5th set up cheaply.

Edited by RuddyDuck

Honestly,.........for 90..........96% of my Texas rigging/Senko Fishing I use a Spinning rod setup.  But that is just me.  A nice 6-6' rod, Medium heavy, fast action and decent Pflueger president spinning reel, 10lb co-poly line and you'll catch some fish.....just saying not everything bass needs to be a baitcaster :)

The issue with your president sounds more like not being adjusted right, and probably needs to cleaned and lubed. My uncle had one, that I cast a few times with and no problems.( I have patriarch)  Once set; you should be able to cast a 1/4oz. spinner bait. The rod makes a lot of difference too. As said. A 6-6 or 7ft mh  should serve you well.

A good spinning rod set up can work for jigs. ( I still can't skip a bait caster!!!!)

If the water is very clear as you said, then you may want to look at using flouro, or braid with a flouro leader.

I would second what JP said. I have a couple MH spinning rods that see a bit of use for bass, though I prefer braid with a floro leader.  Ruddy has good advice on where to save money as well.   I would even add that GM sells their vortex rod - 6ft 6 MH for 15-20 bucks on sale.  At that price, nice to have another technique ready to go with out shelling out alot.  Get a few basic set ups and then keep your eyes open to upgrade. No need to pay full price on the good stuff. I stumbled on some fish 13 envy rods at GM a couple years ago for 89 bucks. I'm good on rods now.:D    As far as reels, for me, from here on,  Pflueger for spinning and Lews for baitcasters . Got my eye out for a supreme for under 80  and a lews LFS or MG or BB1 for 20-30 bucks off. I can wait. They'll come up

Cret Jigs, 

if you want a rod for throwing frogs, jigs, even bigger spinner baits. I have a little like new Daiwa Tatula 7-6" Heavy. The Rod is pretty versatile. New they sell for $170, selling it for $85.

(or if anyone else wants it)