• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I think my Cabela's Advanced Angler onboard charger is failing

tacklejunkie

Question

I plugged it in and it makes a clicking noise and the power light flashes on and off. In fact, they all do. Everything is connected back the same way I disconnected in the fall and the charger was working fine then.

Failure? Or something I'm doing?

13 answers to this question

My initial guess is that something is not connected correctly.  Does the manual help with troubleshooting the flashing lights?

Contacting the manufacturer may is also a suggestion.

3 minutes ago, Hoey said:

My initial guess is that something is not connected correctly.  Does the manual help with troubleshooting the flashing lights?

Contacting the manufacturer may is also a suggestion.

But the power light also clicks off and on? Shouldn't that at least be a solid blue?

Does the fine manual say anything about a flashing power light?  Sometimes that can mean something.  

Are you sure the batteries are ok?   Batteries that are bad or too flat can make chargers act funny.

Ok. I might have figured it out. I reconnected everything and the power and ready light are solid but the charging light didn't come on. I connected the plug on my trolling motor and according to the lights on the motor, they say full charge. Wouldn't the charging light come on anyways?

I was able to find someone who had a similar on board charger and see how they connected their own. I set my own the same way and it seems to be working. My batteries are fully charged from last fall. I don't have the manual, unfortunately, as I bought the boat used with the charger already installed. 

4 hours ago, Cheers said:

did you try to go online and see a manual ? Might be your best solution .

I already looked for one to try and answer the question.   Couldn't find one.  I think the charger is someone elses with Cabela's name on it, but I can't tell which one or if they made some change. 

5 hours ago, Cheers said:

did you try to go online and see a manual ? Might be your best solution .

I did that before typing my question here. There's instructions on connecting but nothing on trouble shooting. It seems to be working ok now. I'm going to have to write down how I connected it so when I disconnect in the fall, I'll remember how to reconnect in the spring

We color code the wire by the terminal rings with red/black, but also put on duct tape and write how they connect. Makes it easier when troubleshooting, except when someone marks it wrong ;) haha! That has happened. Darn brothers ;)