• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Morning!

3 minutes ago, lovebigbluegills said:

Good thinkin!!! I'll have a few pickled beets for dessert!!! Way better than plain ice cream!!!

Hey!  Make an ice cream beet swirl!!!!!!!!!   :lol:

3 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Every time I hear about eating beets I remember the time I ate a bunch and the next day thought I was going to die since the water in the bowl was all red, like I was bleeding out. 

Then I remembered the beets...

:P

Ya know, heard about that a lot. Never had that happen to me. Boy, there's something we DON'T need on the cooking thread....

2 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Every time I hear about eating beets I remember the time I ate a bunch and the next day thought I was going to die since the water in the bowl was all red, like I was bleeding out. 

Then I remembered the beets...

:P

Hahahahaha, a couple years ago my sister came out for supper, and pickled beets happened to be part of it and she ate almost a pint on her own. She was about a minute from heading to the emergency room when she thought about how many beets she ate the night prior. Definitely red water in the bowl...

Of course it is a "union" Smurfy.  You are a very perceptive individual.........   ;)   LL I will close the shades just so you know.  :)   

Ya LBBG I like them and they are on sale often.  The mistake I made was to not foil them after 2 hours.  They were looking great with a lot of nice color from the smoking and I waited another hour which was too long.  I usually even put some sauce on them for the foil so they stay nice and juicy.  I am thinking chicken quarters for the Sunday smome.  Like I read on here, the last time I put them in a big bowl with a good jag of salt and sugar for an overnight smome.  Then I spiced them up and smomed the he__ out of them.  Turned out great  with nice color and juicy.  AND DONE which is paramount for me with poultry.  

That reminds me of a hunting trip to ND years ago.  3 buddies and I.  Well it was a very dark night and we were grilling goose breasts that had been marinating for a week in italian dressing.  We also had 3 pheasants cut in half on the grill.  Well me and my one buddy were so hungry we couldnt wait and we each inhaled a half pheasant outside in the complete darkness.  They were the most tender pheasants either of us ever had.  We still talk about it.  Well about 5 minutes after we snuck them down our throats we brought the others in for the hors deourves for the other guys.  When we put them on the table they were still bloody on the inside.  We looked at each other and didn't know if we should laugh or puke.  That is what gluttony does to a man.  :blush: 

Ya too bad anyone dies but I wasn't much of a Prince Fan.  Basically a Classic Rock guy and he was too far out of that mold for me.  I do like Blues too and some Outlaw Country.  The wife can't do the Blues too much.   We like to play the tunes when we have our campfires.  I work Sat. so maybe a campfire on Sun.

Ok you guys I will try to check back since I really enjoy each others "Good Morning thoughts".  Have a great day.  Check for boll weavels in the oats LL....

Man am I tired.  The family drove to Chanhassen with flowers and layed them outside of Paisley Park.  It was very emotional for all of us.  The kids asked why I was crying since I never knew Prince.  I tried to talk but just couldn't.  When we were down there bonding with the other people that had never met him we heard some great stories about Rogers.  That was Prince's real name and I always thought it was just Roger.  Too bad it took his "flu" death for me to find that out.  When we were driving home, in silence, the youngest asked me about the report of potential drug problems.

I'm kind of a rookie on this matter but I told her this.  "It isn't normal to have to land your plane and get emergency drug overdose treatment and call it the flu."  People without drug problems don't do things like that.  Nobody reading this has ever done that, right?  It's sad he died, it's also sad he probably died from an addiction problem in some capacity.  

It would be nice to know some real stuff about Prince.  Ya know how when someone dies and later, at the right time, you sit around and tell stories about them.  The good, some slightly bad, the funny.  You hear it all and get a pretty good flavor of the person.  The best ones I've been at are at the local Legion Club after the funeral.  There is a pretty big Legion in Richfield and probably the closest to wear he grew up.  If they have an event there I'm going.

Good Morning.  I don't get it sometimes.  Ya, I get it but then I start to wonder.  Yes Prince died yesterday and yet I didn't even know he was still active for I haven't heard of him lately since he changed his name to a symbol of some kind.  Very talented but didn't care for his music at all.  These folks that have all this money and all of these material things and yet do not seem to very happy at all.  Here I am, not rich and realy not into material things and I'm fine with my life but always striving to make things better.  I was busy all day yesterday and happen to look at my phone's facebook page just to check it out.  I had already known that Prince had died.  My daughter is a big fan of prince.  I seen that she posted "this better not be true" and her friends also seem to respond as if someones dear relative had passed.  I'm going like "what happened" to myself, so I scrolled down some more and they were talking about his death.

So I'm sitting there kind of shaking my head and wonder sometimes why some war hero's death is not noted as much as as a celebrity.  When John Wayne died for example I was sad it happened but didn't go crazy about it.  Same with others that I was fond of.  This type of reaction to a celebrity I can understand but I just don't have the same reaction I guess.  Sadness and grief is reserved for friends, relatives, and family for me.  Well I have chores to do so I can go back up north and give the north shore one more go.  good luck.

I'm still wondering why Obama made a  little speech about the loss of Prince....but what about Glenn Frey the other month? And Merle Haggard, Joey Feek, Maurice White, Paul Kantner, this year, to name a few? Frey was a huge loss, and at the age of 67...from RA, colitis and pneumonia. Same as when a city official or big shot doctor dies here, there's a big write-up in the local paper, by the staff,and a half page obit. But when one of my buddies who pulled two tours in the jungle, won the silver star and the purple heart passes, there's your standard two paragraph obit. Same as any decorated WWII vet...like my Dad and my uncles. I best just leave it alone, before I get too riled up. I'll channel it into that yard work today. Oh, good morning guys!!! Back to the good morning happy happy thread! ;)

The only report that Prince got a shot for drugs is an anonymous one in TMZ the celebrity gossip web page.  Could they have given him the shot as a general precaution if he had taken a painkiller for back pain or something?  Possible.  

But there is no indication that anyone was aware of his abusing any recreational chemicals. 

I guess we will find out soon, maybe even today.  I am still thinking cardiovascular, stroke, MI, something like that.  

Completely agree with the sentiments of putting the death of celebrities in the context of average citizens who've done extraordinary things and made extraordinary sacrifices.  But music, perhaps more than any other art, has incredible reach and impact on people, personally.  It's often something you can relate to and take ownership of as your own.  So when an artist that has had so much success and has impacted so many personally through his or her songs and talent dies a premature death, I do understand and am often even a part of the mass mourning that takes place

2 hours ago, leechlake said:

Man am I tired.  The family drove to Chanhassen with flowers and layed them outside of Paisley Park.  It was very emotional for all of us.  The kids asked why I was crying since I never knew Prince.  I tried to talk but just couldn't.  When we were down there bonding with the other people that had never met him we heard some great stories about Rogers.  That was Prince's real name and I always thought it was just Roger.  Too bad it took his "flu" death for me to find that out.  When we were driving home, in silence, the youngest asked me about the report of potential drug problems.

I'm kind of a rookie on this matter but I told her this.  "It isn't normal to have to land your plane and get emergency drug overdose treatment and call it the flu."  People without drug problems don't do things like that.  Nobody reading this has ever done that, right?  It's sad he died, it's also sad he probably died from an addiction problem in some capacity.  

It would be nice to know some real stuff about Prince.  Ya know how when someone dies and later, at the right time, you sit around and tell stories about them.  The good, some slightly bad, the funny.  You hear it all and get a pretty good flavor of the person.  The best ones I've been at are at the local Legion Club after the funeral.  There is a pretty big Legion in Richfield and probably the closest to wear he grew up.  If they have an event there I'm going.

I v been in that VFW. got friends who have a brother that pretty near lived in that place!!!!!!!!

Great fish fry at that VFW during lent!

I will say that I find it odd that everyone has to stake a claim in some way on the big social media sites when an iconic figure dies. Speaks to our current culture of needing to be part of something, I guess.  Interesting looking through the FB feed of everyone posting selfies of their grief, changing their profile pic to prince, etc.  It's a little different on here, we're all digital buds and it's good conversation.  But I think the Millennial generation - in general - just trips over themselves to ensure that they make sure everyone knows how they're feeling.  Huge emotional need for validation with the kids these days.

Me, I'm just really sad that a uber-talented guy from Minnesota, who still claimed it as his home after all these years of fame, died way to early as he had so much more to give and time to give it.  But nothing is forever and life moves on today.  The fans will always have his music.  And don't worry, now that he's gone, the executors of his estate will eventually let the money take over and all his recordings that otherwise would've never seen the light of day will be released eventually.