• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BASS AOY Championship coming to Mille Lacs

RK

This should be a lot fun and good for the local economy. It will be interesting to see if Largies play at all... you would think not but there are surprises in these tournaments. They would like those bags SwimbaitChucker is getting lately!

Edited by Lals
spelling

RRR, I would predict a much lower average weight, maybe 22 lbs.  This is going to happen mid September, which is a tad bit early. Also, if the big lake treats them like it does me, the wind will confine them to the bays and West/North side for at least one of those days (Indian Point will look like peninsula made out of bass boats).  Either way, I will be one of the fools out there watching them.  I wouldn't miss it for the world!!

28 pounds per day?  That seems a tad high.  I'd guess 1-2 5s and a the rest 4s for a bag of 22-23lbs for a great day.  When you take the average it over 4 days, it'll be even less.  The winner of the Sturgeon Bay AOY averaged about 17.5lbs per day (same timeframe).  3 years ago on Sturgeon (late June), the winner averaged about 19lbs.  

Even in Mid September an average angler can put a 25 pound bag of Brownies together.

I predict the tournament will be won deep 18 to 25 feet with Dropshot, Crankbaits or Big Spoons.

I fished Mille Lacs at least once a week from the end of September until the 1st weekend in November. Worst day my best 5 was just over 24 pounds.

An average day was 25 to 27 pounds.

Best day was 30lbs 10oz

I think it will take 25+ per day to win it. There are more five pounders in Mille Lacs than three pounders in most any other lake.  Most years the shallow bite gets good in September. This year it didn't and most big fish were deep. Too early to predict how the winners will fish but not too early to say it will be a lot better than Sturgeon Bay. Don't forget, the 30 lb bags from the Sturgeon Bay Open are 6 fish and a team format during prespawn. 

I will be very cool to see how this goes with a huge amount of time since the last one in MN. Also, it will be interesting with a slot. Last I checked there was still a slot with only one over 20" on ML. Unless the Dnr changes that for next year.  The weights should be close when they can only weigh one big one.  There should be a couple of  interesting factors for Mille Lacs: wind,slot, smallies vs largies.

I will be very cool to see how this goes with a huge amount of time since the last one in MN. Also, it will be interesting with a slot. Last I checked there was still a slot with only one over 20" on ML. Unless the Dnr changes that for next year.  The weights should be close when they can only weigh one big one.  There should be a couple of  interesting factors for Mille Lacs: wind,slot, smallies vs largies.

The slot doesn't apply to this tournament.  

Hey SwimbaitChucker, I'm thinking a few pros would like to hook up with you the week before the tour.  You have an opportunity to cash in big time.  They won't pay you money, but they will offer you free fishing trips down South.  YOu seem to have the brown fish dialed-in.  I'm guessing a few of them are reading this thread right now thinking "I need to PM SwimbaitChucker."  You will have to let us know how many (if any) reach out to you.  If I was a pro, I would be your new best friend, haha.

Honestly the 30lb 10oz day SuperDuty and I had involved a bit of luck.

I knew we needed to fish deep to have a chance at big ones.

Fishing deep is right in Superduty's wheelhouse.

We tried one of his spots right away and I got bit a couple times, but did not put any fish in the boat. We headed to another area as we come off pad. SuperDuty is looking at the map and 2D  sonar, he picked an area that looked good in the depth range we wanted to fish.

I got bit almost instantly but failed on the Hookset. 

The 1st 3 fish I put in the boat were over 5lbs....believe it was a 5lb 3oz, 5lb 10oz and a 5lb 15oz. Brian put a couple solid fish in the boat. 

Then it became apparent that we had stopped on top of a school of 5 to 6 pound fish. Superduty quickly figured out where the fish were sitting and we tried to make casts to hit that area over and over.

Having a good understanding of what good structure looks like on the map and sonar is the only reason we had the day we had.

I am really looking forward to seeing what a really good angler can do.

Seth Feider averaged 2 fish over 6lbs and 15 fish over 5lbs per day for almost the last 2 weeks of October.

He caught one over 7 as well.

Edited by SwimbaitChucker

SBC,   a few questions if you don't mind.  What were the characteristics of the structure you looked for and did you look for fish on the depthfinder?  You look for deep water, but not the deepest water?  Steep breaks?  Bottom transitions?   

I've been wanting to learn the late fall Mille Lacs bite.  I've learned a bit about Chequamegon in fall, but that's a three hour drive.   Thanks.

rascal

There was also a school of 3 to 4 inch Perch in the area. One of the fish spit a couple up as SuperDuty swung it into the boat.

Rock piles on deep 15 to 20 foot flats, steep breaks with a rock to sand transition and 12 to 15 foot rock humps with some grass on deep 18 to 25 foot flats were the areas to focus on.