• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2015/2016 Texas Duck Hunting Reports

Check with the locals.  Squirrel can be mighty tasty. BUT I have not tried the squirrels down there so ask around. But with all the fresh seafood available right off the boats a guy could simply give up eating meat!

Oh...wait!  That would mean no more bobbacue!!   Cain't do dat!!

Buddy from Minnesota flew in yesterday. Went to Dallas yesterday morning to pick him up and we were off. We were hoping to hunt last night but after the drive we only had time to do some scouting. Haven't seen much for pintails this year before today. Was starting to wonder where they were, and finally found em. Boy did we find em. Saw 1500-2000 pins today, along with wigeon, gads, boot lips, gwt, assorted divers. Here's our strap. We could have easily limited several times over but we were being real picky, only taking drakes cupped under 25 yards. Still had one gaddy hen sneak in there somehow. Buddy got his first big sprig. He's shot piles of pins up north but they don't get that sprig until after they've migrated through. Finished our redhead limit off at a different spot later in the day. Not a bad way to start the trip!! 4 more buds from MN are driving right now and will be here in a couple hours and another bid from Katy will be here Tuesday afternoon. 6 more days of duck hunting to follow!!

6E3A669E-6D17-415B-8EC6-F58D593E21CD_zps

F7053CCE-4790-4C7F-8451-AFB154AEBBDC_zps

And thus ends my 2015-2016 season. This trip was a tough one. Reds were easy to come by as always, but man did we have to work for puddlers. Saturday (my first post) was a hunt to remember, with pins, wigeon and gads thick as could be. We went hours at a time with birds in the air non stop. It rained all day, which is usually good for duck hunting, but on the coast, it's one of the worst things that can happen. Those puddle ducks will leave the salt and head to all the new fresh water puddles that are in every field, ditch and swamp.

Sunday we maybe saw 200 ducks at the same spot. Decided to go scout out a new area. Found 4-5,000 birds piled up on the far side of a huge marsh. We didn't want to hunt it since we were just scouting for the next morning. Shot 4 nice scaup in a different part of the marsh. 

C77FAE38-9342-4158-8DD7-32896AC87F03_zps

The next morning we set up in 3 areas, with 2 guys in each spot. Saw a few pins and teal, shot 8 scaup and a hen pin. Next evening, we went out and had a redhead shoot in the big water. Set out about 200 dekes and they came in pretty good. No giant flocks but enough to keep it interesting. We set up on a big island and had 4 guys in one spot and me and another guy in another spot. These were our birds. 

FFDDC5E7-70A1-48CE-8965-C94FA3D2691D_zps 

and this was the total for the group. Had some really nice bulls and a hen so old that she almost looked like a blonde phase. Gorgeous birds

5E1398E4-B60F-4A01-8F23-976ACC5008A9_zps

Tuesday, I ended up having to take my buddy to the airport in Dallas to head home, which is a 6.5 hour drive one way. I sent the guys to a spot a guide buddy of mine swore would be holding puddlers. Nope. The guys shot this nice gwt, a couple reds and a bootlip.

8B941150-BFDE-44DD-8B17-81B5647B9FCC_zps

That evening, they went out for the normal redhead Beatdown since it was close to the condo. 

The next morning we tried another spot where a river flows into the salt. Usually puddlers will skirt these kinda spots, going from fresh to salt water. I wasn't able to make it out through the big water in the canoe since we had a 15mph wind and the waves were starting to cap, but me and my bud had a great redhead shoot, with these four falling within about 15 minutes. 

5E189B13-A19C-4188-A7A8-623A671C3761_zps

In my opinion, the highlight of the trip happened across the bay. The guys got their limit of reds (puddlers were once again absent) but Jim ended up slicking this little fella. Also, notice the bb in the eye, a double trophy!

190C5C31-A896-41E8-9D0C-943AD6BA1EE0_zps

46AA02DF-3899-4CA0-9129-5F0D33602911_zps

After that, me and a buddy went scouting with a friend of mine on an airboat, in the area we shot the pins on Saturday. Saw several thousand birds in the main bay and figured we'd set up there the next morning. 

Since there was no cover higher than my knees, we decided to make layout blinds out of the surrounding tumbleweeds. Worked out great and the birds were clueless when they dumped into our spread.

732C0BCB-ACB5-462C-9E98-246BFB3B26D9_zps

Myself and two buds ended with 11 (woulda had both our limits but one had to leave by 0930)

59A8F16F-3C38-4D02-80CC-3258FB9EA328_zps

B15CCCFF-0310-4E49-9BB6-AB8EE7F163A1_zps

and the other group only ended up with 7. One was a definite trophy though, shot by the same guy that shot the banded red

7F9106EB-4985-4052-B748-87F4E0611DC8_zps

F6D801C5-D095-4E47-90B4-AC4B91581DB6_zps

Today the guys decided to go back to the slough we hit on Monday where we got the bills and a hen pin because a local bud had shot some birds there on Weds. Had to leave for home early and didn't want to make them leave early. Just heard back from them and they said it was the best day of the trip, with all of em shooting limits of scaup, a ringer (real rare down here) and a big red 88AEC68C-990E-48AD-9C4D-D61FEF38891F_zps

84378F31-901D-4FF5-804E-E004D7D7DE3F_zps

4AD58AAF-BA64-406D-BBBD-20CA945F8899_zps

B4C27A3B-FB69-477F-890B-EB0034265CBA_zps

Overall it was a frustrating trip but we had some good shooting and some real trophy birds shot. I got a heck of a workout while scouting and hunting, paddling well over 20 miles and walking through who knows how many miles in the marsh. I call that a success, albeit a small one. Everyone shot birds that are going on the wall and obviously there was plenty of good times in the condo. Til next year gents!

399B88DA-5657-4D29-80A9-67EF99B367DC_zps

Edited by fishuhalik

He had planned to rent a car and drive it to the airport, but didn't take the rental drop off fees into consideration when budgeting for the trip. Honestly, I kinda needed the day off. The prior 3 days had me worn out!!

I want to thank fishuhalic for letting me be one of the lucky Minnesotans

who got to experience the most incredible ducking hunting trip I have ever been on.

Jeff, not only provided us with ideas, of where to hunt daily, but is truly master duck hunter.

His countless hours of scouting ensured that we would enjoy great hunts and the 

opportunity to harvest trophies; of many species.

We got up every morning at 3 AM.  Some days we only drove for 1/2 hour to 45 minutes to

get to an area. One day the trip was a  1.5 hour drive.  Once at the water we still had a 

one to seven mile drive in the boat and of course, in total darkness. Thank god for Google

Maps.  When we reached our destination two of us would construct blinds and the "two

pros" would set the decoys.  Normally, the put out 150 to 200 diver decoys and some 

puddlers.  Jeff's friends Jason and John both are experienced/dedicated  ( and fully equipped)

Diver fanatics !  When it comes to setting the decoys, these boys don't miss a trick.

Unbelievable, is the only words to describe the hunt !  Thank You ..Jeff Lynch !

Thanks to my fellow diver hunters, Jason, John, John, another Jeff and Mike.

The first few days of the hunt.....all six guys names...began with a J.

We went to Texas as strangers and came home great friends.  Life is awesome !

Thanks for the kind words Jim! I dunno about the "master duck hunter" title though. Those birds made me feel like a d**n fool more than a few times last week!! Glad you had fun though and were able to get on some good birds. You were definitely the trophy killer of this trip with your band and bwt drake. Until next time!