• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best socket set?

Once again I've been frustrated by nephews and brothers and cousins and neighbors messin' with my stuff and again it was no sockets of the right size when I needed them.  So.....here's my plan:   I'm gonna buy a decent set and HIDE it where only I will know where the good stuff is.  Just so you'll know,  I've already done that with my chisels and nail guns,  Starette squares and micrometers and Japanese pull saws.  I have stuff hidden so well sometime I have to really think about where a certain tool is.

So, my question to the group is,   what is a decent 15-20 piece 1/2" drive socket set.  I don't really need anything but the sockets. Last time I bought a set it was American made Stanley but in today's world I don't know what to trust. We all know Snap On and Craftsmen but I fear Craftsmen is now being made of crushed rice powder. Snap On is more than I need and I would have to keep it in the bank.

So,  which names fellas?

SK, Williams, Armstrong....those are still American made, to my knowledge. Other than that,I dunno. I hear Kobalt is pretty fair. My ton of hand tools is all Craftsman from when I was wrenching it back in the 70's. I do know they won't stand behind them like they used to. I split two sockets a few years back, and they tried to pawn some USED ones on me, out of a drawer! Said that was the best he could do. I walked over and took 2 new ones, told him what he could do, and walked out, leaving him the old ones. Think I scared the dump out of him.  I think NAPA and General Trading still carry some reputable brands too....good luck.

Edited by RebelSS

I have a set of Home Depot Husky brand that work well for my recreational applications.  I also have Craftsmen that are over 30 years old (sockets and ratchets) and would recommend them but I hear they're going out of business.

I actually have a Husky brand set that is at least 40 yrs old, and I still use weekly. Never broke a piece.

Edited by RebelSS

This made me chuckle out loud and I pointed the post out to my wife and said "See I am not the only one who hides their GOOD STUFF.. I don't turn a wrench to often but I have some Snap On stuff hidden away I would still go with the Craftsmen if you are just looking for a socket set.

It is surprising to me how much better the inexpensive tools from China et al have become in recent years.  Taking it to the extreme, I bought a set of Harbor Freight screwdrivers that have turned out to be fine. 

Not counting the pro stuff like MAC or snap on, I wonder how much difference there really is.  Does the rest of the stuff all come out of the same Chinese factory? 

Of course some brands also have several levels

S K is an old line brand made in USA that looks affordable, but is perhaps better than the big box stuff.   Looks like a set of 3/8 drive sockets, american and metric, with a ratchet is like 150 on amazon. 

I managed to track down a 15 piece set of Williams 1/2" drive sockets that look pretty good. I don't do anjy serious or heavy duty stuff so they should be all right for me.  The main thing is I will be able to find them. Ha Ha Ha.  I have hidden them in a place nobody would look...right near......oh oh.  If I tell you where they are then I have to kill you.  Ha Ha Ha.

Thank you fellas for your guidance.

Interested in why you chose half drive rather than 3/8.  I find I use 3/8 more often, not that I do much in the way of car repair any more.  But Lawn Mowers, snow blowers, etc etc along with household type repairs are still part of the program. 

You use the reducer to go from 1/2" to 3/8"...(in most 1/2" drive sets) You can always reduce down, but not up, and your larger nuts and studs, like on axles and suspensions, take a 1/2" drive, and also over 90 lbs of torque, that will often snap a 3/8" drive. But if you don't do any high end torque, suspension or drive components, a 3/8" will work fine for you. Best is to have 3 sets, 1/4", 3/8". and 1/2". If you do much engine work, that's a must. Oh, and` don't forget the same for the metric sets, either. And the Robertson, Torx, and Clutch drive. Probably why my garage is taken up by tool chests. :grin:

Edited by RebelSS

One thing I have done is gone away from the chrome sockets, and mostly just use my impact sockets. They are much stronger, and usually cost the same or less. The only down fall is sometimes they are a little thicker, and might not fit into tight fitting holes. But 90% of the time they work great. Most of my tools are Snap On, Mac, or Matco. But most of my impact sockets are SK, because they are 1/4 the price, and are decent quality. 

My chrome sockets are still the original Craftsman set I purchased when I started in the business many years ago. Most of my stuff at home is craftsmen as well. Granted many of those sockets have been warrantied throughout the years but many of them are also the originals. Anything that is going to take some abuse is snap-on, MAC, and an occasional Cornwell or Matco.   I have to agree with scott, Most of the time I use an "impact" socket.

My latest purchase, A Snap-On 36" breaker bar. That will tear up some sockets in a heartbeat!! :o  It will also snap the wheel studs on an F350 without breaking a sweat. :o:)

Snap-on-36-inch-Breaker-Bar.jpg