• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Meatloaf In The Smoker

The other day when the dew point was high and the temp as well the oven was not a place to go.  Wanted to use up stuff in my freezer that I bought on sale so I found some burger and since I have done meatloaf in the smoker before that's what was going to happen.  I have my own recipe on my page www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com but I went with one right off the Lipton beefy onion soup mix box.  I like using that product for a number of things [au jus for example].  I only added some garlic [love garlic] and some parmesan cheese I had left over.  Here is what I used:

1 envelope Lipton beefy onion soup mix

2 pounds of ground beef

3/4 cups Italian bread crumbs

2 eggs

3/4 cup water

1/2 cup ketchup

1 T diced garlic

about 4 oz parmesan cheese

bacon

Mix everything up well.  Form the loaf.  I put some bacon slices on top also.  Set the smoker to 250.  When the meatloaf reached 160 I pulled it out and let it set for awhile.  Got everything else ready to serve except the potatoes which didn't take long to mash.  It was a great meal.  Something most people make during cooler and colder months but it can be done now as well.  Here are some of the pics: good luck.

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg

lmao! wat i ment was how much for the style of smoker u use. dont worie about it, im gona research smokers, all i want is a smoker, i have a insulated upright freezer i converted, but getting tired of maintaning smoke and heat all tue time, need to set it and forget it. so to speak. 

Sorry Boar, LOL!!!  For the one I have the regular price is around $200 bucks.  I got mine on sale at Fleet Farm for $169.  They have them on sale now and then.  Sam's have a 40 inch with the door with the glass on it normally around $300 bucks which is a good deal but you may get one cheaper on-line like Amazon.   These come with what I call the "brain box" which is a unit that let's you set the time and temp.  Nice all around unit for the family.  I use mine so much I will get another one like I said to do bigger batches of sausage to smoke this fall.  good luck.

yupper im looking at that 40" at sams right now, but now a bigger question, Masterbuilt or Bradley, apples and oranges?? Bradley make the cold smoker adaptor to turn any small containment chest into a smoker , for 180 bucks, but its cold smok no heat. think I want heat, I wann program it at 160-180 and let her buck!

Bradley is also a good smoker.  I just didn't want to spend the extra money of those chips all the time.  That 40 inch at Sam's is a great unit.  As far as cold smoking, you can do that with any unit, even your grill with a AMPS smoker tube.  You can get a 12 inch for around 25 bucks at Fleet Farm.  That's what I use.  The AMPS smoker tubes take pellets.  You can get them at Fleet also.  I've been using cherry pellets for the most part.  I cold smoke sausage first and then put the heat on to finish it off [smoked sausage that I use cure in].  You can cold smoke eggs, cheese, ect..  I use the AMPS tube in one of my barrel type Char-Griller grilll/smoker with the side fire box also to add smoke to whatever I'm grilling out there.   A must have for me.good luck.

Your meatloaf looks great, and smoking them is one more level of flavor.  We make a smoked Mexican Meatloaf that has ground beef and chorizo, along with onion, garlic, herbs, spices.  Adding corn is optional.  Instead of gravy, it gets topped with queso (cheese) sauce.

I used about 6 slices for the top, just enough to cover it.  good luck.

Geez reinhard, I'm worried about you. What is your LDL cholesterol level at?  Smily face! Love the last picture. That some merican food right there! 

Edited by leech~~