• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chrysler agrees to buy back pickups, fix jeeps.

Just saw that Chrysler has agreed to buy back up to 500,000 Ram pickups due to steering problems that they had trouble fixing.  Also people will be able to "trade in" or get paid for fixing Jeeps with unprotected gas tanks that can ignite in a collision.  

Also they are paying a $105 million fine for poor recall performance.

Details are in the news.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/chrysler/2015/07/26/fiat-chrysler-face-penalty-oversight/30707027/

Edited by delcecchi

That should be a loooooong, interesting battle. I can see the offers Chrysler makes, the people jumping on the bandwagon to get money for the truck, arguing the depreciation worth they are offering, etc. Then, I wonder what happens to the trucks they buy back? Tune in for more. ;)

Under the settlement, they are allowed to fix the trucks and resell them.  

And they have to buy them at purchase price minus reasonable depreciation plus 10%.

Edited by delcecchi

It will be a winning situation for the sales departments, that is for sure! Basically a letter will go out to 500,000 truck owners saying, we will buy back your truck, so they bring their trucks in, and offer them about market value, and sell them a new truck at MSRP. Then they fix the old truck, put it on the lot, and sell that back to the public.

They wont cut you a check for x amount of dollars, so you can go buy a different brand.

It will be a winning situation for the sales departments, that is for sure! Basically a letter will go out to 500,000 truck owners saying, we will buy back your truck, so they bring their trucks in, and offer them about market value, and sell them a new truck at MSRP. Then they fix the old truck, put it on the lot, and sell that back to the public.

They wont cut you a check for x amount of dollars, so you can go buy a different brand.

The way I read the settlement, they will indeed cut you a check for the designated Ram pickups.  All are in the 2008-2012 model years.  There is a list in the Detroit news article, or the actual, boring, verbose legal document is also on line.

It will be interesting to find out if my '11 Ram is apart of this.  Love the truck so far (since Feb) and got a good deal on it. I am not sure their buy back price would be enough, if they go by my purchase price.

Seems all of the major "American " auto  makers have had a run of bad recalls recently.