• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cool Summer dish

Here's a cool dish that goes great with just about anything off the grill....  lick-lips.gif

Reb's 'Cukes 'n Sauce

1 very large cucumber, peeled and sliced very thin
1 medium purple onion, sliced thin
1/2 cup Miracle Whip (not the Lite) or 
1 cup of good sour cream
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp fresh chopped Dill weed
1/4 tsp Onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
7 Tbsp white vinegar (1/4 cup +3 Tbsp)

Mix all ingredients except cucumbers and onions slowly in a large bowl until smooth. Take the thin sliced onions and cut "rings" into quarters. Slowly fold 'cukes and onions into sauce. Refrigerate at least 6-8 hours, preferably overnight. Enjoy!

Serves 2-3

Sorry to not have the recipe but time limited with road construction season in full swing. Google cucumber honeydew salad. We had it at the Canterbury buffet a few weeks ago. We added walnuts to our version to add a little crunch and may add a touch of brown sugar to our next batch. We went heavy on the feta.

Our cukes are getting ready.  I did up a batch with your recipe and loved it.  Will do more tomorrow....  OR tonite so it is ready tomorrow..

Wonderful!!! Glad ya loved it!!!   That's why I like to share!    LFmxBa3.gif

I just noticed my recipe has "or" in it, after the "Miracle Whip"...that should NOT be there. You need the Miracle whip AND the sour cream, blended together.....sorry for any confusion!  Should read :

Here's a cool dish that goes great with just about anything off the grill....  lick-lips.gif

Reb's 'Cukes 'n Sauce

1/2 cup Miracle Whip (not the Lite)  
1 cup of good sour cream
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp Onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt

Edited by RebelSS

Reb I'll be doing your recipe's because I love cukes.  I just picked a few pickle size cukes from the back yard to make some cuke kimchi.  It's not for everyone because there is some heat to it but I love it and have been making it for years.  The recipe that I use is what I make for one regular size cucumber but for this one I kind of just went close to it because of the different size of cukes.  The recipe for one regular cucumber is on my blog www.sausageheavenoutdoors.com in the Recipe page.  I formulated that recipe and it works best that way and then you can double or triple it.  Also on the recipe I use Korean hot pepper.  There is a difference.  The Korean hot pepper is not as hot as regular hot pepper you buy in the stores and has a flavor of it's own.  I tried to ask the guy at the Korean store if they are a special kind of pepper and if he knew where to get some seeds or the name of the peppers grown but he didn't know.  Still trying to find out.  Here is what I made today.  This is what I used, however I didn't use exact mesurments, otherwise I would post them here, but look at the blog above and you can see the step by step and the correct mesurments for one regular cuke.  good luck.

salt, garlic, Korean ground hot pepper, sesame oil, cider vinegar and sugar.

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

Looks pretty danged good to me! I had an extra 'cuke the other day, so I peeled and and cut it into quartered chunks. Mixed it with some halved cherry tomato's, some rotini colored pasta, some sliced black olives, a few chopped onions,  chopped red pepper, some celery salt, and mixed in a cup of zesty Italian dressing. Don't know what to call it, but it's gone already.  yum1.gif

This is a slaw that I really like and use a lot.  Little different than most slaw's but it's good.  Made it yesterday along with some chicken hind quarters on the grill.  Pretty simple meal and not much prep involved.  One thing about any slaw is that it gets better over time in the fridge, so keep it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight before serving so all the flavors can meld in.  good luck.

Asian Slaw

2 16 oz bags of cole slaw

1 bunch of green onions diced

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 olive oil

2 T grated fresh ginger

2 T white vinegar

2 T brown sugar

2 tsp sesame oill

2 tsp roasted sesame oil

salt and pepper to taste  [I used about 1 tsp. of each]

Mix everything well and let sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.

IMG_2176.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg

Reb's 'Cukes 'n Sauce

1/2 cup Miracle Whip (not the Lite) or 
1 cup of good sour cream
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp Onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients except cucumbers and onions slowly in a large bowl until smooth. Take the thin sliced onions and cut "rings" into quarters. Slowly fold 'cukes and onions into sauce. Refrigerate at least 6-8 hours, preferably overnight. Enjoy!

Serves 2-3

have you ever used a zucchini instead of cucumber? I luv this stuff but my cukes are done still have zucchini though.

have you ever used a zucchini instead of cucumber? I luv this stuff but my cukes are done still have zucchini though.

Don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon....:grin:  I don't like those things.

Edited by RebelSS

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon poppy seed
1 medium honeydew melon seeded and cut in bite-size cubes (5 cups)
1 cucumber (12 oz), unpeeled, and cubed (2cups)
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion, briefly rinsed
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill weed
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1 cup)

PREPARATION

In a large bowl pour lemon juice. Whisk olive oil in a slow, steady stream until incorporated. Whisk in honey, salt, pepper, poppy seed. Add melon, cucumber, onion, and dill weed. Toss to combine. Just before serving top with feta.

Cover and chill up to 8 hours. Let stand 20 minutes before serving