• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just Food and Drink

I was finishing up filling my freezer for the winter, when I spied a pkg of chicken wings from May.....the last one. Hmmm...the old Weber charcoaler looked kinda lonely sitting next to the other grills, so.... Hot wings snack time! I had a bottle of Frank's Hot Wings sauce, which I don't really like, nor do I like any of the other "wing"sauces....short on flavor and big on just heat, the one's I've tried, anyway. So, I whipped up this, and it IS GOOD! To me, anyway!  :P Sprinkled the wings with my rub, got the coals ashed over, and away we went!  

Wing Sauce

(no exact measurements)

4 parts wing sauce (Franks)

1 part Heinz 57

1 part cocktail or chili sauce

1 part teriyaki glaze

1 part Baby Ray's Sweet 'n Spicy

Mix well in bowl to dunk wings in.

Dippin' sauce

1 part good sour cream

2 parts thick Roka Blu cheese dressing

pinch of salt

pinch of garlic

snipped chives

Mix well; chill.

w855kg.jpg

r7lop0.jpg

2nkqw7.jpg

Edited by RebelSS

Atta boy rebel,  finger food at it's finest. I'm not sure I've heard of that brand of sour cream.. gotta hand it to ya for coming up with your own sauces. 

There's some good and some not-so-good sour cream out there IMO. Personally, I prefer Kemps. The Daisy brand I find is always watery or too thin;, and does not hold together well. Also some generic brands are like that, too. But, one of the thickest ones I like is Kwik-trip's brand sour cream, it's almost too thick. Wings are all gone.  Just some sauce left on my face. Wondering what do I do now. :crazy: :lol:

Edited by RebelSS

My pooch used to sit right alongside of me and eat bbqs, wings, peppers, onions, everything...except oysters. He was great at catching grapes tossed into the air and green peas flipped in the air off the end of a spoon handle. :lol:

No one is representing the vegans on HSO....lol... .so thought I would give all one of them a shout out. Actually working on some new menu items for friends that own a bistro. Both these can be made ahead of time and quickly reheated or dished up. Am finally figuring out falafel.......honestly, not much better on a late night bender. These are served with fresh pita and home roasted and processed tahini sauce. Also, having a blast  coming up with garden hummus. Fava/Lima blend, roasted carrot, green pea, an old heirloom shell bean I grow, and roasted beet. 

20150831_113632.jpg

20150820_225805.jpg

Always have liked Mediterranean food, but never knew a Syrian grandma to show me  the ropes. One thing about my recent crash course with a ton of beans and stuff.....is that.....well.... let's just say I have become rather regular lately :D

Eyeguy, will have a personal invite waiting for you at Jules when we roll the new stuff out....lol.

Always have liked Mediterranean food, but never knew a Syrian grandma to show me  the ropes. One thing about my recent crash course with a ton of beans and stuff.....is that.....well.... let's just say I have become rather regular lately :D

Eyeguy, will have a personal invite waiting for you at Jules when we roll the new stuff out....lol.

cafe or bistro?  Jus curious.

----------------------------------------------------------

This was intended to be a separate post, but whatever  Something merged it with the previous one. 

For those who have too much zucchini...

Zucchini Fritters

Published August 6, 2007.

Makes 12 fritters, serving 4 to 6

Be sure to squeeze the zucchini until it is completely dry, or the fritters will fall apart in the skillet. Don’t let the squeeze-dried zucchini sit on its own for too long or it will brown. These fritters are great warm or at room temperature, and can be served as a side dish or as a meze with cocktails. Serve with Tzatziki Sauce (see related recipe) or plain with lemon wedges. This recipe is from The Best International Recipe.

Ingredients

• 1 pound zucchini (about 2 medium), trimmed
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (about 2 cups)
  • 2 scallions, minced
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 lemon, cut into wedges (for serving)

Instructions

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 200 degrees. Following the illustration below, shred the zucchini on the large holes of a box grater or in a food processor fitted with the shredding disk. Toss the shredded zucchini with the salt and let it drain in a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl for 10 minutes. Wrap the zucchini in paper towels and squeeze out the excess liquid.

2. Combine the dried zucchini, feta, scallions, dill, eggs, garlic, and pepper together in a medium bowl. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir until uniformly incorporated.

3. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Drop 2-tablespoon-sized portions of the batter into the pan, then use the back of a spoon to press the batter into 2-inch-wide fritters (you should fit about 6 fritters in the pan at a time). Fry until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side.

4. Transfer the fritters to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm. Wipe the skillet clean with paper towels. Return the skillet to medium-high heat, add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, and repeat with the remaining batter. Serve warm or at room temperature with the lemon wedges.

Edited by delcecchi

Bistro.....wine bar type thingy. A grease hood is out of the question in the old tall building and has limited quick on demand cooking equipment. Interesting on the fritter. Want to incorporate that in....would be a great cheap ingredient in a farm to table type offering......but have tried a few times and they sucked.....always to mushy and/or took too much time to cook. Never salt sweated it out first though......that might be the ticket.