• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auto Armor (ECP)

Getting a new car soon, first time with leather seats. Dealer has this "auto armor" from ECP interior treatment they are trying, not too hard yet, to sell me.

My inclination is that it is a scam, but I am wondering what the general opinion is. Seems like a lot of money $399 for them to spray some stuff on the interior. We don't have little kids riding in the car either.

Typical dealer add ons I'm afraid Del. Meguires has a conditioner and cleaner that will do the same thing for $5. Wouldn't do it if I were you seems like a waste of money.

I'll agree with that. Meguiar's is all I've ever used on show cars, and the high-end auction places like Barrett-Jackson do, too. Leather needs to be kept clean, conditioned, and out of the sun as much as possible. I've never seen any spray-on stuff over the years that takes proper care of leather. Treat your seats as you would a good leather jacket, and you shouldn't have any problems. Remember that unless you're buying a Lambo or Ferarri, the leather they use is not exactly top notch, and proper care of it is even more important to keep it conditioned and supple. Just my .02 worth, Good luck with your new purchase.

PS....pop on over to the Eagles some Wednesday night for the weekly car show, and talk to some of us motorheads over there. Lotsa good info. wink

Getting a new car soon, first time with leather seats. Dealer has this "auto armor" from ECP interior treatment they are trying, not too hard yet, to sell me.

My inclination is that it is a scam, but I am wondering what the general opinion is. Seems like a lot of money $399 for them to spray some stuff on the interior. We don't have little kids riding in the car either.

You may as well just have them spray it on your pants and back of your shirt. Because that's where it's going to end up rubbing off on! wink

I wouldn't even if it was free. My wife has an 09 convertible with black leather and she leaves the top down as much as possible and parks in the sun all day while at work. She conditions the interior twice a year and the leather still looks great. She's been using Meguiar's and we've both been happy with the results. IMHO.

I'm not sure with leather seats but I had them put some stuff on my cloth seats 3 years ago and it's magnificent . First day I owned it buddy spilt a can of coke and it beads up and wiped right off. I also have small kids spilling milk, hot chocolate eat and it wipes right off still three years later. I also had them spray the windshield with some stuff and that is also fabulous. It's like rain-x but good for five years. i even had a broken windshield and they sprayed it on again at no charge. It was at the ford dealership for both things and I don't remember the price but imo it was worth it. No doubt in my mind though I wouldn't pay to have my leather sprayed.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I'm not sure with leather seats but I had them put some stuff on my cloth seats 3 years ago and it's magnificent . First day I owned it buddy spilt a can of coke and it beads up and wiped right off. I also have small kids spilling milk, hot chocolate eat and it wipes right off still three years later. I also had them spray the windshield with some stuff and that is also fabulous. It's like rain-x but good for five years. i even had a broken windshield and they sprayed it on again at no charge. It was at the ford dealership for both things and I don't remember the price but imo it was worth it. No doubt in my mind though I wouldn't pay to have my leather sprayed.

We sell it here so I am a bit biased but it does make a difference. Not sure if he is selling the whole package or just the interior treatment.

If you are keeping your car for 6+ years id say go for it. If you are trading more often the benefits might not out weigh the cost.

I really like the undercoating and the rust proofing. The undercoating gives you a quitter ride and does prevent rust on the frame. The rust proofing is sprayed into the doors to stop the rust.