• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cleaning carpet

Jaspernuts

I clean carpets as a part time business. I have cleaned the carpets in a few boats but I think it is hard to beat just using a pressure washer on it. It also depends on what type of outdoor carpet is in your boat.

Most boat carpet is made of olefin and is somewhat stain resistant. The Scotch Guard I've read the labels on is not UV stable and turns to a white powder when exposed to direct sunlight for any length of time. If they make a Scotch Guard specially for outdoor furniture and carpet it may help a little.

Soap, water, and a brush.

I use a concrete cleaning brush on a broom stick. I think it helps raise the nap back up.

I have been using Starbrite carpet cleaner in a bucket of warm water, rinse with a garden hose, and sun dry. Usually twice a year, July, and before it goes into storage.

I bought an 8x8'piece of the identical carpet @ Men_ _ _'s and attached to floor with tiny stainless screws. I have a tiller boat, so just did it in the back where the wear & tear would be the most. Up on bow there are compartments so didn't apply the carpet there & just use vacuum cleaner and power washer. I did this on my last boat & when it was time to sell I told the new buyer about it so he could remove or leave it in place. They liked the idea that I took the time & effort to keep it looking like new.

I have been known to jump into boat with my Hoover Carpet cleaning vac, and use it just like you were cleaning the carpets in your house. The hose with rotating brush works great, too. crazy

I assumed that was a given. laugh

Shop vac, followed by house vac, then a wash and a good rinse. Then hit it with a shop vac again if needed to clean up any debris that was trapped into corners from the flowing water.

Part of the reason for keeping it clean is to remove the fly attraction. Horse and deer flies seem to be attracted to the fish slimed carpet more than a clean carpet.