• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SNL 40 Year Anniversary

JBMasterAngler

I've only watched the first few minutes of it so far, but Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake's opening song and dance was awesome! Steve Martin's routine was ruined by the presence of Miley Cyrus...she did NOT belong on the stage with the rest of those elite performers.

Anyway, with the show's airing, I started looking up all the all time best lists for SNL. Most of them are pretty good. Most agree that John Belushi and Eddie Murphy are the two best cast members. Found it funny that Robert Downey, Jr was ranked dead last, and he's arguably the biggest movie star right now.

I gave up watching SNL shortly after Will Ferrell (who's for the most part in the top 10) left, and from the bits and pieces of the show I've seen since, it is absolutely unwatchable! But #1 SNL character of all time was listed as Bill Hader's "stephon"! Was that character really that funny? Better than "matt foley", "wayne and garth", "nick the lounge singer", "irwin mainway", or "mr. robinson"?

I started getting into SNL during the height of Farley, Sandler, Myers, etc, so I'm a little biased towards that particular group. But I certainly appreciate the classics. Can't wait to finish the show tonight (including the Eddie Murphy disaster)! smile

I thought the show was good. I'm a little older than you probably so I was more interested in the days of Eddie Murphy and Martin Short. I was disappointed that guys like Eddie Murphy and Chevy Chase were just propped up there for applause and not used in one more skit for old times sake. Although in their defense, they did try to get Eddie Murphy to do the Cosby skit on Jeopardy but he wouldn't do it out of respect for cosby and the whole kickin a man when he's down thing.

I seen the jeopardy skit also, and that one never gets old! I wish they could've used more celebrities. with that being said, Kristoff Waltz's parody was stupid!

I heard Piscapo did his Sinatra...would've been good for Murphy to join him as Stevie Wonder. I know a lot of people wanted him to do buckwheat or gumby, and I can understand why Eddie might think he's better than that now, but he totally could've still pulled off "mr. robinson"! Or do a skit with David Spade, in reference to Spade's joke years back on SNL about Murphy being a fallen star...which upset him greatly!

Oh how great it could have been for Belushi, Hartman, and Farley to be alive for this! Radner also, would've been funny to watch her and Murray bring back their nerd couple.

I could go on about this forever! All I've been doing the last 3 days is looking up stuff on the early days, and even the original cast's beginnings with second city and national lampoon's.

I seen the jeopardy skit also, and that one never gets old! I wish they could've used more celebrities.

Norm MacDonald helped write that skit and he wrote a whole story about the experience on twitter. You should look that up and read it, that's where he tells about the Cosby part being written for Murphy but he decided in the end not to do it.

Just finished watching the whole show. Overall, I was disappointed. Californians? Are you kidding me? That's the kind of stuff SNL is putting on the air these days? Why on earth would they put that on such a grand occasion? David Spade's "buh bye" sketch sucked 20 years ago, and it still sucks now! Eddie Murphy looked like he couldn't wait to get out of there, although he did stick around for the closing credits. He could have at least said a few wise cracks, the whole thing was awkward.

Wayne's world was great! The whole thing they did with the weekend update was pretty good. Chevy Chase's appearance wasn't funny, but at least they tried. I cringed watching Melissa McCarthy do Chris Farley's Matt Foley. She wasn't bad, but it's just not a character that can be replicated. I wish they would've done more to bring back old characters, and show more highlights from older shows. Will Ferrell and Bill Murray were great in reprising their characters.

I looked on amazon, and found the first 5 seasons for sale, but couldn't find anything from the early 90's. Are those seasons not out on dvd yet?

I looked on amazon, and found the first 5 seasons for sale, but couldn't find anything from the early 90's. Are those seasons not out on dvd yet?

The Saturday Night Live Best Of Eddie Murphy is one of the funniest things I've ever watched, right behind Eddie Murphy Delirious which may be THE funniest thing I've ever seen.

Been watching SNL from the get go. Stephon is a far, far cry from the good stuff that has been put out over the years. Chris Farley in the dance off against Patrick Swayze is a classic along with Will Ferell in the '" more cowbell" skits. Miley Cyrus is a skank buy she nailed " Fifty ways to leave your lover" pretty good I thought.

My wife is a few years younger than me, so the only Eddie Murphy she knows is the "nutty professor" and "daddy daycare" stuff. She's unable to comprehend how crude and absolutely funny he was back in the 80's. "Coming to America" is one of the funniest movies ever! But yeah, I could watch the buckwheat sketches over and over and never get sick of them!