• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Toyota People Only

Problem is: 2001 Solara convertible. Four new Michelins. At 52...54...55 mph shudder and shake which disappears by 60mph. Car has been aligned twice, tires balanced four times including a load force balance.

Nobody can get this solved.

I am beginning to think it in front drive lines or wheel bearings. If we can't solve this the car will go....tired of fooling with it. Not my car but I have driven it and it is a NICE little pristine convertible with big JBL, all leather and a scandalously quick little six.

Tossing this out as a wild last shot.

I had a Toyota Corolla for several years and it was a great car for economy and reliability.

How many miles are on it? It would seem the steering/suspension components are the problem but then again I believe it also has electronic power steering and maybe the issue is in that as well since it disappears after a certain speed.

One way or the other it sounds like a potential safety issue and I would think you are obligated to fix it rather than trying to pass the problem down to the next owner.

The dealer will be better with solving this. They should have a vibration analyzer to actually measure the vibration and determine where it is comming from.

*As long as the person using it, knows what they are doing*

All the above obvious stuff has been done and re-done and then done again. It did it before I put the new Michelin's on it. That is why I am concluding that it HAS to be in the steering/suspension and NOT the tires or wheels.

Oh-and by the way, to the poster worried I might sell it to somebody and give THEM the problem I would never sell anybody anything I did not FULLY describe.

I'm too old to start cheating and faking it now. Ha Ha Ha!

Gonna call a dealership tomorrow and hope they have somebody who has been working there more than three weeks. Place your bets, but I'm betting it is in one of the front drive shafts..

Stay tuned.

Or not. smile

Inner joints will cause this symptom at the speed you described under light accel. The outer joints will cause a vibration under decel. The vibration should be almost non existent under a steady cruise. If any of the above are true than I would agree the drive axles would be what I went after.

Okay men, here's the latest. The car is at the shop now and it appears we can get it all together with struts and shocks. All else checks out fine. I allowed myself to be sidetracked by some guys on this "tire and balance" issue when my gut was not buying it.

I shall report in again.

Update. Today about $980 for new shocks and struts in the car. Same thing: when you go through 55 mph car shudders and shakes. Get above or below that and all is fine. Many discussions of this problem on line. Toyota either can't or won't even acknowledge or repair any of it going back to 2001. And I have seen no correct diagnosis or solution from any other source.

I'm done with it. No more of my money goes into this car, which is a delightful little beast otherwise.

I DO wish Toyota had the balls to admit there IS something to what people are telling them, from Camry to Corolla to Tundra.....you can find similar complaints all over the various venues.

Now you know.

Update. Today about $980 for new shocks and struts in the car. Same thing: when you go through 55 mph car shudders and shakes. Get above or below that and all is fine. Many discussions of this problem on line. Toyota either can't or won't even acknowledge or repair any of it going back to 2001. And I have seen no correct diagnosis or solution from any other source.

I'm done with it. No more of my money goes into this car, which is a delightful little beast otherwise.

I DO wish Toyota had the balls to admit there IS something to what people are telling them, from Camry to Corolla to Tundra.....you can find similar complaints all over the various venues.

Now you know.

Well, at least you got new shocks and struts on it now and narrowed it down.

So i had problem with a car that the dealer wanted 1100 to fix. i started sending emails to corporate office, anyone who had an email address. This is a know problem with this engine. After about 3 wks i got a message from corporate. they got more info from me, called my dealer, and then gave the price to me. 200.00 my cost. i fought it at first as they know there is a problem but then gave in for the 200 vs the 1100. this would be my next step in your issue if you know there are problems with other info you can supply if it is online etc the gather it all up and send it to them. the dealer is only doing it to make money. i would also tell the dealer that you charged me 900 bucks and the problem is still there. good luck

Ha Ha Ha! Yes, there ARE new struts and shocks on it now!

And yes, you can find reports all over the Internet of people having similar troubles but you almost NEVER see a resolution of it and people have very little success getting any help from Toyota....who appear to me unwilling to admit it even happens. Most of these people have been through the same routine we have: new balancing (6 times in our case) alignment, examination of drive shafts and ball joints, check steering box etc. and on and on and the dam car will STILL shake at 55 mph. Others report same thing-more or less- and in cars from '99 2004.

Some have found problems with one or the other drive shaft but for the most part you won't find anybody saying "Aha! Here's the problem!"

I wash my hands of it. It is a delightful little car in pristine condition and fast as a cat,; full leather, big JBL system, nice top and wheels etc and has been well cared for but my guess is the prior owner got tired of the shuddering and sent things along to me one day when I had my stupid face on and my wife said she liked it.

Okay, that is all. I'm going back to my DEPENDABLE makes.

Hey Dotch! Someday when we are sitting around the fire on the river bank I'll show you some pictures of my 1963 Starlight Coupe two door hard top, jet black red interior. Way head of it's time in styling and of course it makes 98% of today's cars look like metal pigs!

Right back at ya! Ha ha Ha!

Yes! My mistake. It was a 1953 and it was quite a car in it's day. Wish I had it back. But then, I can think of a whole bunch of vehicles I'd like to have today. Including my maroon 1965 Stingray coupe with the 396/425 engine. Last one I saw was going for something like $125,000.

Well then why didn't you tell me HOW to solve the problem and save me close to a thousand dollars! Ha Ha!

I KNEW it probably was not going to save the problem, but the needed to be done anyway and I thought it MIGHT change things, and it did somewhat. But when you hit the magic 55mph she goes wobble wobble wobble shudder shudder and then when you get to 58mph she smooths out and roars on up to cruise at 70 mph.

Monday we check boots, U's and bearings and then that's it. If nothing, I will ship this baby back to Mr. Toyota. Of course he will provide the same level of support I am seeing all over the internet. Remind me to never buy another Toyota, even a cute little used one for my wife.

Well then why didn't you tell me HOW to solve the problem and save me close to a thousand dollars! Ha Ha!

I KNEW it probably was not going to save the problem, but the needed to be done anyway and I thought it MIGHT change things, and it did somewhat. But when you hit the magic 55mph she goes wobble wobble wobble shudder shudder and then when you get to 58mph she smooths out and roars on up to cruise at 70 mph.

Monday we check boots, U's and bearings and then that's it. If nothing, I will ship this baby back to Mr. Toyota. Of course he will provide the same level of support I am seeing all over the internet. Remind me to never buy another Toyota, even a cute little used one for my wife.

I told you before. EPS