• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Toyota People Only

What happens when you drop the transmission down a gear and then drive 55?

Vibrations can be a real pain in the tail pipe. Without driving it it is almost impossible to head in the right direction. You said it happens under accel which leads me to believe it is drive train. It is entirely possible that you are experiencing a misfire under heavy load (torque converter is locked up and you are trying to accel in the highest gear ratio possible. Since the misfire is not detected long enough it may not flag a check engine light but it could certainly show up in a misfire counter.

Again the feel of the vibration determines the direction to head into. From what you described my gut says drive axles. I have this issue on a honda prelude. It would drive smooth until a light accel at cruising speed and it would just about shake you off the road.

Other possibilities are transmission and/ or torque converter.

Its just impossible to tell without driving it.

You be right Jeremy- hard to tell without driving it. My suspicions have always been balancer on one of the drive shafts or slightly bent shaft. We maybe find out Monday. If not found I quit and drive it the way it is (actually I seldom drive it) for a while.

Who knows-from what I see on-line nobody has ever solved it....including the people at Toyota.

Of course, if they said they solved it they would have to admit it exists.....and they don't want to do that! Ha Ha HA!

I can relate to the Toyota not owning up to their problems deal. Been a Toyota owner for the last 20yrs and this last one has been something else. It'll be my last Toyota until I see some changes in their camp. A major problem I feel is the lack of dealer support to stand behind the product they sell. If there still increasing in sales and most people will dump a car instead of fix them, why would the dealer fix it when they can get you in a new ride and better yet finance too.

Your car. Like Jeremy noted more than likely a rotating item but one needs more info or a test drive. I might have missed it but did you say where your feeling shake? Seat, steering wheel, by gas pedal, any other odd noises, etc? Also exhaust pipes, bad insulators can cause weird things too.

Good luck these problems can be very frustrating and difficult to find.

Ufatz, I ask that because a location on the top will act like a reed and oscillate causing an incredible amount of noise and vibration. I don't mean flapping either, that location will be tight. That will be very specific to speed like you describe. I've seen that happen many times ranging from a roof rack that was a little loose, an air gap between a topper and truck rail, and a piece of trim on a truck camper that sounded like a u joint on its last leg. All 3 had me pulled over on the side of the road. Your old enough that it had to have happened to you, at least once?

Okay folks, here is the final report. Ya know that smug feeling you get when, after a long debate, you turn out to be totally RIGHT!

If you read my first couple posts you'll know the story here. At most every turn I suggested to the shop or the head technician that I thought the shuddering, shivering vibrations were a problem in the front drive lines of the Toyota. Well, after ALL the balancing and tire buying and strut and shocks installation and more balancing and more money, money money I finally found some guys right near me. Left the car with them and told them call me when you solve it and asked they specifically go after boots, joints, drive shafts etc.

They called this afternoon. "Okay, we got it. A half shaft was not true and had a wobble to it-not terrible, but we replaced it and vibration etc. is gone."

So.....now you know. Oh, and while they were in there I asked them to check out a wiggling in the front power seat and sometimes reluctance to move smoothly. They also told me Toyota would sell them new seat base and track assembly. And it was only $1450. That's right....that is not a misprint.

This little shop is a bunch of guys who work on Rolls, Mercedes, BMW and old classic cars. I just KNEW they would help.

Keep it in mind Toyota owners when it is your turn in the barrel. Ha Ha Ha!