• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Remington 870 of Bows?

I'm looking to get into bow hunting, and I am wondering what is a good cheaper bow that would get the job done. Like the Remington 870 isn't the top end shotgun but it has a great reputation. I know some of you will say save your money and get a top end bow, well I am not looking for a top end bow, just a good one to kill a deer and shoot around with. So any recommendations? Hoping to spend under 500$

Its not about any particular brand, but which one feels the best when you shoot. Your best bet is to go to a pro shop and shoot as many as you can that are in or near your price range. There are a bunch of companies that you can go with for under $500 so you shouldn't have a problem. I personally have a Ross Cardiac and really like it. Other companies you should look at would be Bear, Mission, PSE, among others. Like I said, I recommend shooting a bunch and going with the best feeling/most comfortable option.

Don't be afraid to buy a used bow either.

I can't think of any other peice of hunting equipment that depreciates faster and as much. You can sometimes find a two or three year old top of the line bow for a similar price as a brand new lower end model.

Don't be afraid to buy a used bow either.

I can't think of any other peice of hunting equipment that depreciates faster and as much. You can sometimes find a two or three year old top of the line bow for a similar price as a brand new lower end model.

Couldn't agree more the past 3 bows ive bought I bought used and at a fraction of the cost and they were in almost brand new shape

I can't think of any other peice of hunting equipment that depreciates faster and as much.

Funny, I was just thinking that to myself today in my stand. I just spent about 2 grand on my setup last season and if I were to sell it I probably could only get 7-800 for it.

There are quite a bit of decent bows all set up and ready to go for $500 and under to get you into it. If you fall in love with it then you can drop the big dough if you want.

I agree with all the previous comments. But the most important is to try several in your price range, including used equipment of which there is lots out there. The good archery shop with an indoor range should be able to help you in all of the above and explain the differences so you can get a bow that is well tailored to you and most of all, you shoot well and enjoy.

With a $500 budget, I would look at a used bow from any of the big names. Bows are like computers, each year a new model comes out and the old ones drop in value. I am shooting a 10 year old Hoyt that still gets the job done.

I have switchback XT and love it, haven't thought about changing bows since. It is still considered one of the best bows today.

I shoot a used Switchback and agree with 96trigger's assessment. Solid bow and I have no desire to "upgrade". You should be able to get a fully equipped used one within your budget.

Look at all the brands they have lower ends bows new and they are great bows nothing wrong with them. Love the Hoyt charger in the price range you are looking . I know of 6 guys who have bought this bow same reason cost and love it. They went and shot the Bowtech ,Matthews ,Hoyts all the lower ends and ended up with the charger. I have shot this bow to and does shoot great but that's all up to the shooter what they like. Check out the missions, Diamonds.

Not to hijack the thread, but where have you guys had the best luck buying used bows? One poster mentioned a pro shop. Any experience with a pawn shop or hsolist? Some other place?

I would personally opt to start by going to a pro shop. Buying a bow is alot like buying golf clubs in that you want to get one that fits correctly. Buying a bow (or golf clubs) that do not fit can cause you to develop poor shooting form habits that are then tough to break.

I would only turn to hsolist, pawn shop, etc. after I shot some bows at a pro shop to determine what size of bow I needed. I would hate to spend the money only to find that I bought something too small/too large.

I have a PSE bow that I really like that wasn't that much money (compared to what some people pay). The bows of today are amazing and you don't need to go crazy to have a good shooting bow. Echo other comments about getting one you like and one that fits you well that's the key.

I would only add, that I personally wouldn't start out with a complicated multiple cam "top of the line" bow even if you can get a reasonably priced used one. There are good single cam bows from all these manufacturers that arent' as finicky. Also get a large brace height for forgiveness as you learn to shoot. These are all things a good pro shop can help you with.