• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Storing boat outside under a tarp

black otter

I've stored mine outside for years. I have the boat cover on it and then I also rig up another tarp and set up some lumber in a fashion so the snow melt slides off instead of pooling in spots. I also put a piece of plywood over the tires so the sun doesn't beat on them. From time to time some years the tarp gets blown out of position from storms but other than that it's easy.

Get all the batteries out and electronics but you probably already do that.

I used to store mine outside. I put it on blocks so my tires were off the ground and I covered the tires. I used a tarp over my boat cover, but tarp deteriated over the years. I then had my boat shrinked wrapped by a guy that is mobile and does it at your home. Don't forget to put something in boat to keep mice out like moth balls, fabric sheets, etc.

Don't rely on just the factory cover, use a 2nd tarp (as other's have said). Two reasons, the snow slides off easier and most factory covers leak. Assuming the boat is covered properly the thing that I've noticed takes the most abuse is the trailer. I've put boats away with decent trailers and pull them out in the spring to find a surprising amount of rust, especially the hardware.

Also as mentioned the sun will eat up the tires. Trailer tires in MN will last 5-10 years if stored outdoors, and probably up to 20 if stored indoors.

I leave my batteries in the boat.

I used to store mine outside. I put it on blocks so my tires were off the ground and I covered the tires. I used a tarp over my boat cover, but tarp deteriated over the years. I then had my boat shrinked wrapped by a guy that is mobile and does it at your home. Don't forget to put something in boat to keep mice out like moth balls, fabric sheets, etc.

I do about the same. Jack it up so the tires don't get flat spots or go flat, heavy gray tarp from Fleet which will only last a few seasons. And get out there every snow fall and sweep it off.

We leave all batteries in place but they are all plugged in to a trickle charger. Trying to get batteries out of some compartments on various boats could become a nightmare.

Buy decent quality multi-plug. Plug in the on-board charger. Then run a small trickle charger to the starting battery and plug it into multi-plug and then plug it all into closest AC. We make sure the AC outlet is wrapped and sealed up so water does not get in it.

All above great info, I figured if professional storage places keep outside then I can also. Take drain plug out, dont ask me why, 1 spring after snow melt boat 1/3 filled with water. I take everything out, cover fish finer mount with 2 ziploc bags and ziptie around base to keep moisure corrosion out all winter. Add mothballs, keep all seats in for support, add on boat cover and tarp. (I change tarp every 3-4 years, they take a beating) and prop up anything u can underneath to hp wick rain/snow. Keep tarp as clean as possible after snow and rainfall. It will help tarp last longer and better chance of preventing leaks. I will into covering tires this year also. Would like to jack axle up but dont have level stable ground for that.

with the second tarp, build up a V over the boat with 2 x 4,s then drape the tarp over that, it will allow the snow to slide off, and there will be some melting now and then, so this also allows water to run off.

I have kept the starting battery in the boat, just hooked the onboard charger to that battery, and let it trickle.