• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dodge ecodiesel 1/2 ton

F150 with the twin turbo eco boost v6 $16k less than a compare able dodge with the little diesel. And no wait.

Getting 25/26 on my commute and 18/19 with the boat. Depending on conditions.

It's a big step up from the 12/14hwy and 9/10towing I got with my 5.4L f150

I have an Ecoboost and I'm extremely happy, but I have to call BeeS on this. I haven't seen one single report on any of the Ford four-ums that have claimed 25/26 or 18/19 towing. My best tank ever, if I remember correctly, was 23. I literally set the cruise at 62 for 400 miles without stopping, and I probably had a tailwind, and nothing bigger than an ant hill. That is among the best I've ever heard claimed. I have almost 100k worth of driving experience (and mileage tracking spreadsheets) with mine to back it up. I get 15-17 towing a 17' aluminum boat. 8 towing my fish house, but it has way more than enough power!

Last week I priced out a 2014 Ecoboost, Lariat, 4x4, nav, chrome package, etc. Sticker was just a hair short of $51k. The RAM Ecodiesel, same configuration stickered at $48k. Real selling price on the F150 was about $42k and the RAM was a touch over $43k.

I will agree with you on this being a massive upgrade over the 5.4l!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Ecoboost and I'm extremely happy, but I have to call BeeS on this. I haven't seen one single report on any of the Ford four-ums that have claimed 25/26 or 18/19 towing. My best tank ever, if I remember correctly, was 23. I literally set the cruise at 62 for 400 miles without stopping, and I probably had a tailwind, and nothing bigger than an ant hill. That is among the best I've ever heard claimed. I have almost 100k worth of driving experience (and mileage tracking spreadsheets) with mine to back it up. I get 15-17 towing a 17' aluminum boat. 8 towing my fish house, but it has way more than enough power!

Last week I priced out a 2014 Ecoboost, Lariat, 4x4, nav, chrome package, etc. Sticker was just a hair short of $51k. The RAM Ecodiesel, same configuration stickered at $48k. Real selling price on the F150 was about $42k and the RAM was a touch over $43k.

I will agree with you on this being a massive upgrade over the 5.4l!

Same trip on both, from the house to work and back to the gas station, 84 mile round trip, started with a full tank and refilled upon return, did the math, got those numbers. I will admit that I was trying to get high numbers and driving on eggshells. I also work from 5:30-2:30, so I don't have rush hour traffic issues to deal with, and the majority of my trip is rural.

I looked at the overall numbers stored in the memory of the truck today, 4104 miles total, avg. 20mpg. So yes I will admit that its not perfect, but I stand by my statements above.

120 less horse power and the same torque as an ecoboost. The motor is made by Motori in Italy which is the same company that made those terrible 4 cylinder diesel motors they put in jeeps in 05 and 06. Hope they learned something from that.

Simple HP and TQ numbers mean little. It's like the other day when someone told me their wonder-truck had as much HP as a diesel. Yeah, that's what it says in the brochure...at 4800 RPM's.

Good luck with that.

Simple HP and TQ numbers mean little. It's like the other day when someone told me their wonder-truck had as much HP as a diesel. Yeah, that's what it says in the brochure...at 4800 RPM's.

Good luck with that.

Yes you are correct. Why don't you check that out and you'll be surprised to see the torque curves are about the same and the dodge is pulling their max hp at 3600rpm. Which in comparison to the ecoboost is roughly the same hp at that rpm. Yet the ecoboost still has hp to spare. The absolute only advantage I see about this motor is it's supposed to get better mileage. Why not come up with something that absolutely blows the completion out of the water I guess is what I'm trying to say. I think that is what Nissan will probably do when they introduce their cummins in the half ton. Heck the ecodiesel is only rated to tow 9200 lbs.

If you want to tow more, get a 3/4 ton. The EcoDiesel isn't a 6.7L Cummins.

RAM was looking for an engine that would get great mileage and have capable towing. Blow it out of the water? They did that. Get better mileage? They did that too and nobody is even close.

If they wanted more power and less mileage they would have put the 5.0L Cummins in their 1/2 tons and called it a day like Nissan is doing.

Yes you are correct. Why don't you check that out and you'll be surprised to see the torque curves are about the same and the dodge is pulling their max hp at 3600rpm. Which in comparison to the ecoboost is roughly the same hp at that rpm. Yet the ecoboost still has hp to spare. The absolute only advantage I see about this motor is it's supposed to get better mileage. Why not come up with something that absolutely blows the completion out of the water I guess is what I'm trying to say. I think that is what Nissan will probably do when they introduce their cummins in the half ton. Heck the ecodiesel is only rated to tow 9200 lbs.

When you are towing the number that is important is torque. If you are towing at 3600 RPM you sure as Heck aren't getting anything respectable for fuel mileage. The diesel it at peak torque at a lower RPM and that us it's advantage. My 6.7 Cummins pulls best at under 1800 RPM and gets great mileage at that range. Get over 2k and the numbers drop.That is where gas motors lose.they need RPM s to get the power and then they lose the economy.

I'll go back to my original post.

Diesels DO get better mileage when pulling.

However, the gap is getting smaller and smaller between diesels and gas engines. With the added Emissions on diesels, and the increase in mileage and power in gas engines, anyone that runs true numbers will see the cost savings.

No doubt purpleflyod that is exactly what I said. The ecodiesel and the ecoboost have almost the EXACT same torque curve. This ecodiesel is nothing special and I'd say a diesel getting 28 mpg probably cost more to operate then a gas motor getting 22. Now the 5.0 cummins getting 25 mpg with 400 hp and 550 to 600 torque is what I'd call hitting it out of the park.

If you want to tow more, get a 3/4 ton. The EcoDiesel isn't a 6.7L Cummins.

RAM was looking for an engine that would get great mileage and have capable towing. Blow it out of the water? They did that. Get better mileage? They did that too and nobody is even close.

If they wanted more power and less mileage they would have put the 5.0L Cummins in their 1/2 tons and called it a day like Nissan is doing.

They blew nothing out of the water all they have is what ford ecoboost has but it's a diesel. Nothing special, they couldn't even come up with and original name for their motor.

Apparently they also don't have to live up to the factory ratings.

Mine does. I know you like to dig for stuff and I'm sure some may not be happy. If you want to make power and have your foot on it you're going to get bad mileage. If youre pulling heavy loads, yes again bad mileage. My buddy has the dodge longhorn.....best interior I've ever sat in....he now has 36000 miles on it and has never tripped the mileage button and it reads 13.9 mpg on his Hemi.

The VVT has pretty much ended that unless you have an over-fueled tuner plugged in. Even then they don't smoke like they should. grin

My '03 Duramax would put on a pretty good show, but my '06 is kinda lame unless the air is really thick and even then it clears up too quick.

GM and Chrysler developed that Ecodiesel together. Dodge bought out GM's share. GM will have a bigger version of the diesel they are putting in their mid sized trucks in the future. My 6.2 GMC averages 14.3 after 20,000 miles with 403hp. Fine by me. A diesel would have to run 30+ mpg before I would buy one.

Okay, just to spark conversation again.

Talked to a business owner yesterday that has a '14 Dodge with the ecodiesel.

He said going to his cabin north of Cloquet, he gets 28 mpg, doing the hand calculation from Hugo, back.

He said he didn't believe the computer, can't trust the computer, so he's been tracking it by hand. He giggled like a school girl when he said it.

"Who the heck ever thought you would get 28 mpg out of a 1/2 ton pickup" were his exact words.

He says pulling the boat it's 20-22.