• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dodge ecodiesel 1/2 ton

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree.

Diesel costs too much.

I used to run all diesel trucks for the business. I've now got them all switched back to gas.

I bought a new '14 6.4 Hemi in June. A non-dually 3500.

Without pulling a trailer, I can get 22 mpg at 77 mph.

Pulling a 10k lb trailer I average around 10-12.

I can also get gas at $3.20 instead of $3.75 for diesel.

Doing the math, I'd have to drive 100,000 miles just to make up the cost difference of the engine.

I know in the heavier trucks, you have to run DEF fluid now. Add in the extra cost of more oil at oil changes as well, harder on the front end, there are more costs.

My 6.4 Hemi has more horsepower and almost more torque than a 10 year old stock Powerstroke.

The gas engines are surpassing the diesels.

So you guys are telling me if I drove through a tank of fuel in the 6.4 in a one ton I could get over 20 mpg, and over 30 with the diesel???? whistle

My truck says I get 99 mpg under the right conditions....... But if I burn a tank she ain't even close to that...... I gotta call B/S too...... but you have no idea how much I would love to be proven wrong smile

I spent a lot of time looking at the 6cyl diesel dodge. In the end its a $5k upgrade to the price of the 5.7hemi half ton. (ouch!!!! eek )

Then there is the trouble about finding one. 3months back ordered.

I went a different direction and will not look back.

So you guys are telling me if I drove through a tank of fuel in the 6.4 in a one ton I could get over 20 mpg, and over 30 with the diesel???? whistle

My truck says I get 99 mpg under the right conditions....... But if I burn a tank she ain't even close to that...... I gotta call B/S too...... but you have no idea how much I would love to be proven wrong smile

Here is what I've averaged over the last 2 months I've had the truck.

This is driving 80, driving 75 pulling dump trailers, pulling trailers hauling tractors, hauling 5 yards of 1.5" River Rock at a time, all in all general work since I bought the truck.

17fhc9.jpg

I run a property maintenance business, so some days I'm just running the truck to work irrigation, some days I'm hauling equipment.

Computer says I've towed a trailer for 3000 miles, and of the 296 engine hours, 80 hours have been idling.

My '13 would say 8.9 mpg if I took the same pic.

Also, I've done the hand calc on a couple of fill ups and they are very close to the computer readings.

Much closer than older models.

Quite a few have reported averaging near 30mpg with the EcoDiesel. Not instantaneous mpg, but an average on a tank.

From what I've read mid to upper 20's isn't that difficult to achieve with the ED.

What u get?

F150 with the twin turbo eco boost v6 $16k less than a compare able dodge with the little diesel. And no wait.

Getting 25/26 on my commute and 18/19 with the boat. Depending on conditions.

It's a big step up from the 12/14hwy and 9/10towing I got with my 5.4L f150

Ram has it rated at 28mpg (highway) so the people reporting mid to upper 20's seems to be in line.

My gas truck is rated at 21 or 22 highway, which when talking strictly fuel costs and def, makes it as cheap to drive as a diesel that gets 28. Add on top of that the additional cost of the motor upgrade, oil changes, fuel filters etc and the gap widens.

I am no means bashing diesels, in fact I love them. I just wish they didn't cost so much to purchase and operate.

The mere fact of Dodge finally putting a diesel in a half ton will create all sorts of competition between the big three, which will increase mileage ratings and decrease purchase costs over the years smile I for one look very forward to it.

It's about time the U.S. started doing what the rest of the world has been doing for years!

Have you seen the 2013 Diesel Ford Ranger???? A 2012? 2011?

I have grin But is was a long ways from home.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but Nissan has the 5.0L Cummins in the Titan coming out and GM has a small diesel scheduled for the new Colorado/Canyon mid-sized truck. Some rumors about Toyota getting a diesel too.

A small diesel in a 'mid' size pickup with good gas and toy towing power would work for such a huge amount of us full size truck owners it's just a shame it's been kept from American consumers for so long when they've been out all over the world. Ticks me off.

A small diesel in a 'mid' size pickup with good gas and toy towing power would work for such a huge amount of us full size truck owners it's just a shame it's been kept from American consumers for so long when they've been out all over the world. Ticks me off.

Chicken Tax

[

F150 with the twin turbo eco boost v6 $16k less than a compare able dodge with the little diesel. And no wait.

Getting 25/26 on my commute and 18/19 with the boat. Depending on conditions.

It's a big step up from the 12/14hwy and 9/10towing I got with my 5.4L f150

I drive 18 wheelers for a living and was a service manager at a new car dealership for several years. If you're not calculating your mileage on every tank by hand you're simply guessing and posting somewhat and I use that term loosely close information on your mileage.

Lets see you guys post 30 days of hand calculated mileage and see where it ends up.