• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

High pitched squeal

I just got a boat with a console and when you start the motor, you first here a high pitched squeal. What is that sound? I took it out for the first time today and after a few minutes of motoring around, it started squealing again. After that the motor started runny really crappy and I was wondering if I would make it back to the dock. I got back and turned it off and then restarted it. it ran good for about 2 minutes and then the squeal started again and the motor started running bad again. I limped back to the dock, brought it home and hooked my ear muffs up to it and started it up. After about 3 minutes it did it all over again. I figured out that to stop the squeal I just need to turn the key back a hair, but once I let go, it starts in again. What is that high pitch all about?

Sounds like an alram in the warning system as mentioned above. Sounds like it goes into limp mode, will run low rpm's and then you can shut it off and restart after the motor cools down if it is the water pump impellar.

4 stroke-2 stroke.

Could be a water pump impeller, getting hot or low on oil if a 4 stroke or many other items set in the warning system.

For sure I would get it checked out before you go boating any more.

A dealer can hook up to the system or if you have a owner's manuel, that will tell you what alarm mean's what as far as a issue. Some of the sounds can be 1-2 or 3 beeps or a cont sound.

Post what motor you have and exactly what the sound is, continous or beeps.

Sounds like an overheating issue, the motor will go into limp mode to protect the motor from seizing is my guess. Had that happen to me once when I was running too shallow and sucked mud into the motor. Had to let it run at idle to flush it out.

I have only owned larger outboards, but have all beeped when you turn the key before starting.

Thanks. I assumed that part was normal. But for some reason, it starts doing again for no apparent reason and doesn't stop. Right after that the motor start running real rough like it wants to kill. Maybe it's not related and I have 2 issues. frown

The squeal has to be related to the ignition as it squeals momentarily when first turning the key.

That's the audible alarm to let you know it's working. I have the same engine, just a 30 HP. You have problems....that is the overheat alarm, and you should have shut it down immediately. Get it in and have those cylinders/rings checked pronto. Check that water impellar, too.

Good luck....

maybe a starter.

That's what I was thinking as well. It maybe that your start is not pulling all the way out. Try taking the motor cover off and running the motor. Watch to make sure the start drive is pulling back all the way out. If it's not than you may still get a better idea where the sound is coming from with the cover off as well. confused

You have problems....that is the overheat alarm, and you should have shut it down immediately. Get it in and have those cylinders/rings checked pronto. Check that water impellar, too.

Good luck....

I doubt it's any type of alarm because as mentioned before, when it's squealing and I turn the key counter clockwise just a hair, the sound stops. I'm leaning more to something sticking.

I doubt it's any type of alarm because as mentioned before, when it's squealing and I turn the key counter clockwise just a hair, the sound stops. I'm leaning more to something sticking.

Thats fine then run it hard till she blows and buy a new motor.

Turning the key a little might be breaking the electrical circuit just enough to kill the alarm temporarily.

In all reality, first things first lets diagnose the first "squeal"

Describe, does this sound come from near the motor? or the console?

insert key and turn to run but do not start the motor, do you hear this squealing sound? or is it only once the motor is running?

On a Johnson of that year a constant alarm "squeal or warning horn" means it is overheating.

I would seriously have a marine tech look at it, this being a new boat to you, may have some issues that were not disclosed in the sale.

My current and previous motors will sound an alarm for about 2 seconds when turning the key on. It is the diagnostics doing its thing.

It may not be overheating as the monitoring system could be malfunctioning and kicking the rpm limiter in.

how is the water pressure? "pee stream"

When was the water pump replaced last?

When was the thermostat replaced last?

Turning the key resets the alarm. Look it up in the Johnson service manual or any boat forum. Overheat alarm, or lean condition in the newer engines. Whatever works for ya, it's your engine.

Glad it's not mine.

Thats fine then run it hard till she blows and buy a new motor.

That was a stupid statement. As mentioned, as soon as it started running crappy I took it right back to the dock.

It came with a 30 day warranty so it's going back today.

That was a stupid statement. As mentioned, as soon as it started running crappy I took it right back to the dock.

It came with a 30 day warranty so it's going back today.

Your refusal to accept the fact that there might be a thermal problem was stupid, so that is why I said it and is what almost everyone else was thinking.

Funny stuff. The guy asks a question looking for help. He refuses to listen to people who have experience and gets mad (denial?). I also have a Johnson motor and YES it is a TEMP alarm, by "turning the key back a little" you ARE resetting the ALARM. But it's all a moot point, you have a 30 day warranty so yes bring it back. shocked

The situation of an alarm going off, a starter gear stuck to flywheel, or whatever you issue is is one that requires immediate shutdown.

So some guys get riled up thinking that you could be ignoring their advise and continue to use the outboard.

Not that your intending to do that but its happened before.

Good that your bringing the engine back.

Let us know what happens.

Make sure the thrust washer on the prop is on correctly, there or not there. I had a thrust washer on wrong once and it caused a terrible squeel when I tried to go in forward or reverse then it gave a grinding sound. went back to landing and checked out the prop area and figured it out.