• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Popularity contest: Smallie vs Largemouth

EBass

I'm with you. Can't beat the fight of a nice smallie. I think I'd rather put a bucket on the wall, however. I think they're a nicer looking fish. Especially out of clean, clear water.

Fish On!

Iron Man

Smallmouths, hands down. They fight harder are more agressive and something people don't often realize...they are mostly caught in very "visually pleasing" areas: Canadian Shield Lakes, Smaller rivers, Mountain Reservoirs...Nothing like it.

Looks like the smallmouth can have his cake and eat it to. Too bad more lakes don't have them. It sure would be nice to have Mille Lacs in the metro.

I have to give the LM my vote. Thier top water explosions, dragging them through the thick stuff, and having them thrashing in the air is just too exciting! Lost one of those nice ones you put on the wall last night.

I give the LM my vote. Have never caught a smallie because I've never targeted them. I will have a chance in a couple weeks when I fish Cokato for a league. I know they fight like the dickens so maybe I will change my mind after that.

Nice, a couple for the LMB - yep let us know what you think jeffy045 when you do catch one. And catch a couple so you get a good "feel" of them.

I seriously love both, don't get me wrong. But a smallie has more fight in it. Actually go to Cabela's in Owatanna and check out the fish tank. Watch the smallie push other fish around. Big smallies will push around a muskie. Unless the muskie get's ticked, but hey they have balls.

Smallmouth is the way to go! It seems like you can also get by with a little more light weight equipment when fishing for smallmouth, which makes the fight even better.

Not even close in my opinion. SMALLIES!!!! From light line in that certain bay on Lake Superior, to the fast current of the Mighty Miss, you can't beat the fight and aggressiveness of a big smallie. Just wish there were more opportunities here in the metro!

Little known fact.........
Eating Bass meat will cause your left leg to get shorter. You will than walk in circles looking dazed and confused.
Which in turn will create interest from law enforcement, which in turn creates interest from your local shrink and Jerry Springer.

ENJOY YOUR MEAL

I catch way more Lgies than Smallies, but in the past few years I caught my share of smallies including some really nice ones.
I'm going to go with Largemouth because I think their topwater stikes are better, I love fishing shallow slop, and I've never gotten into really good smallmouth fishing in terms of numbers.

I have only caught a couple of Smallies up on Mille Lacs but after some of the battles I have had dragging LM's out from under docks and out of blow downs I gotta go with Large Mouth's, they rule.
And pound for pound the hardest fighting fish is the Blue Gill, just think if Blue Gills grew to 5 pounds, you would need a tow truck to get them in the boat.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN