• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

I hear that after some production and shipping delays these are starting to hit the ground now and that aside from the delays they are getting very positive reviews. Has anyone on here looked at or ordered one?

From what I have read it can knock down 27-30 mpg hwy and 20 mpg pulling a 7200lb trailer which is amazing. My Ram 2500 can hit low to mid 20's at 55 on the hwy and 20+ at 70 and 15 pulling that weight so we are talking a serious bump in mileage and a respectable towing capacity.

Reviews on the handling,fit and finish are also very good.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy doesn't have the Eco diesel, but does have a brand new Dodge. Had it here last night and all I can say is "wow" that is a nice interior. Very comfy and we'll appointed. Huge touch screen.

His brother in law ordered the diesel with air suspension, but it will be another 8-9 weeks until it arrives.

The OEM isn't even claiming MPG's that high so I find it extremely hard to believe that those reports are on the internet already, especially from a motor that isn't even broken in. If the number were that good, Dodge would be shouting it from the rooftops. Dodge says top MPG is 25.

I do like the tow ratings, but its still not top in the full size truckas or SUV's. True test will be MPG. If there isn't an amazing MPG advantage then it won't be any more cost efficient than a gasser.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/dodge/1403_2014_ram_1500_ecodiesel_vs_2500_sibling_rivalry/

Quote:
Highway Driving

The highway is where trucks spend most of their life—even four-wheel-drive models—so to adequately test these two we mapped out a 500-mile loop that would take us along both flat highway and up to nearly 5,000 feet of elevation, four different times. Our two professional drivers set the cruise control at 5 mph over the posted speed limit (75 mph) and swapped vehicle position at the halfway point. At the end of our drive, the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel netted an impressive 28.47 mpg, while the Cummins 6.7L-equipped 2500 knocked down 19.97 mpg.

On the highway is where the Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel really excels. Power delivery from the 3.0L V-6 is extremely smooth and incredibly linear, accelerating briskly to well beyond the legal speed limit. While it doesn’t pack quite the same punch off the line as its Hemi-powered brethren (which, at 5.7L, is nearly twice the displacement of the VM V-6), passing is a nonissue thanks to the engine’s 420 lb-ft of torque. Sitting in the cab, one would be hard pressed to tell the truck is even running, let alone powered by a diesel. Ram engineers worked tirelessly to ensure the EcoDiesel was extremely smooth and quiet, and we would say their hard work has paid off. Shifting from the eight-speed transmission is polished and works well at keeping the EcoDiesel firmly in its powerband. Steering feel is effortless thanks to the electric power assist. It has good road feedback and a nice, on-center feel.

I've seen the Ram claim of 25 mpg with a standard cab 2wd and the Pentastar V6. The same truck is supposed to be getting 28 mpg with the eco-diesel.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. It's stated as such right on their HSOforum.

I'm very curious as to how this turns out for Dodge RAM, and even more curious if it pushes some of the other brands into the diesel powered light duty market. GM is coming out with a small diesel in their new Colorado/Canyon in 2016 I believe. That should be a nice little rig.

The thing about the RAM model, and any potential future models with diesels, is the upfront cost and higher price of diesel right now. I'm due for a new pickup but have been in a holding pattern to see what shakes out in the next year or so. I was interested in the new Sierra but haven't been too impressed with what I've heard about them thus far. I was also disappointed in the lack of change with this supposed "new" model.

Anyway, RAM might have a winner on their hands if they don't have too many bugs with it. The other smart thing they did is that they didn't restrict this engine package to just the upper-level trim packages. The factory claimed they had 8000 orders just three days after the ordering period opened. That's pretty impressive. I'll be looking forward to seeing more real-user reviews on these models rather than the ones from the paid magazine shills.

Really don't see the need for a half ton diesel when your towing capacity is one third of the 2500 and your savings in gas mileage is just 3 mpg more towing. Add to the fact the same maintenance costs probably apply to the two vehicles. I would just as soon get the 2500 if you want a diesel. I suppose if you don't tow that much and like the idea of a truck and don't mind the higher maintenance costs this would be ideal. My two cents.

I actually think the smaller 1/2 ton diesel is a great idea for those who pull a boat, ice house, camper, snowmobiles etc but also want to get great MPG when they are just driving around. Being able to pull those things at 1600 RPM vs 2600 RPM results in a smoother, quieter ride and a motor that will last much longer. I think it is a home run.

Must have been the Fjord guys chiming in gringringrin

Longtime Ford owner, currently have an Ecoboost, but I have zero brand loyalty. A Dodge that gets 25+ mpg and tows like a truck should would be something I would give serious consideration. I do about 30-35k/year so the mileage savings adds up quick.

I honestly hope that test holds true in the real world because it'll cause GM/Ford to give a hard look at a half ton diesel (I would prefer Ford/GM to Dodge). I've been advocating for one for at least 5-6 years. That said, I think there is zero chance of consistently getting 25-28mpg empty, and 20mpg towing 7,000#. But I'll be happy if proven wrong.

While I am not a Dodge guy, I am glad someone finally came out with the smaller diesel they have talked about for years. I know someone that has the Ecodiesel, but he just got it last week, so he doesnt have time in it yet. I do like what the new Dodge interiors look like, but they look breakable, and expensive when something goes wrong. I hope this thing knocks the socks off of the Ford and Chevy trucks, this will just push them to make them better. It is good to see Dodge finally with something to drive competition.

I doubt the mileage figures because the only claim on the numbers are from a magazine and the OEM isn't even claiming those number. The 25MPG number is posted was directly from the Ram press release. I looked it up because I had never heard anyone posting real numbers that high.

I personally could care less abot what brand is carrying it. Its no different than every single Chevy 5.3L driver of every Dodge guy bashing the Ecoboost when they claimed 20+ mpg. Its a normal reaction to new technologies and claims that seem too good to be true. Heck, now that FOrd has proven that the Ecoboost has the power and the MPG and the towing ability, people are trying to knock the turbocharger and question reliability, as if there has never been a turbocharged engine on the market before. Haters are gonna hate.

I think its awesome if real-world numbers come in that high. That will be the true test, not some magazine article. It will be good for Ram and good for the market as other OEMs rise to the challenge.

I doubt the mileage figures because the only claim on the numbers are from a magazine and the OEM isn't even claiming those number. The 25MPG number is posted was directly from the Ram press release. I looked it up because I had never heard anyone posting real numbers that high.

I personally could care less abot what brand is carrying it. Its no different than every single Chevy 5.3L driver of every Dodge guy bashing the Ecoboost when they claimed 20+ mpg. Its a normal reaction to new technologies and claims that seem too good to be true. Heck, now that FOrd has proven that the Ecoboost has the power and the MPG and the towing ability, people are trying to knock the turbocharger and question reliability, as if there has never been a turbocharged engine on the market before. Haters are gonna hate.

I think its awesome if real-world numbers come in that high. That will be the true test, not some magazine article. It will be good for Ram and good for the market as other OEMs rise to the challenge.

If you go to the Ram build and price site it shows the diesel isn't available to until you select the Laramie model. Just priced one out and its 53K, about the same as a loaded Chev or Ford gasser so there is that point.

Don't know if its a glitch in the site or if it's not available to get up into the more pricier models.

I just configured a SLT model with the ecodiesel. CC/5.7' box.

dump, that is the deal. I was trying to do the regular cab 6.4 inch box in all the configs and that didn't allow the diesel but you are right, if you go to the 5.7' crew then it lets you do it. That is much better.

Just a FYI:

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/

Personally I'd expect more than 28 mpg on the highway when not hammering on this engine. I've seen much higher than rated mpg in my VW TDI. It's fairly common for a diesel to get better and a gasser to get worse mpg than their respective rating.

I drove an Audi Q5 with the 3.0L TDI last weekend. One selling point for me is they're rated for 31 but "rumored" to be getting 38-40. I could see this being a little difficult to achieve. The acceleration is addicting shocked.

dump, that is the deal. I was trying to do the regular cab 6.4 inch box in all the configs and that didn't allow the diesel but you are right, if you go to the 5.7' crew then it lets you do it. That is much better.

Yeah, I found it easiest to look at the "detailed comparison" chart to see what models were offered with this engine.

Have you (or anyone else) heard how the airbag suspension is working out for folks? Any bugs or things that didn't live up to what was advertised?