• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

I've been following the progress of my EcoDiesel order and Wednesday it was in paint and was scheduled for shipment today but is currently tagged with a "storage" status (Q/A). Three weeks for shipping to MN which means I should have it by early Dec and would put it at roughly 6 weeks from order to delivery. Not bad.

Lmit,

I haven't seen any follow up posts - did you get your truck? Any review you'd like to share?

I test drove a 2015 SLT with Big Horn package today. Nice truck. I didn't leave the dealership with visions of my new dream truck dancing through my head though. That would've cost another 20k to get that one! blush

What I liked:

-Nice, clean lines and comfortable interior.

-You can set the warm up program to automatically turn on the heated seats and steering wheel.

-Pretty cool dash and instrument cluster. I still don't know everything that was going on there!

-The dial gear shift on the dash (not sure if this is really a like yet).

-No diesel exhaust smell! A big like there!

-Quiet interior while driving. Very little to no engine noise.

-Pretty smooth ride over potholes.

-Comfortable highway cruiser.

-Mileage readings tracked on the dash. I believe this truck can attain the real world claims.

What I was less than impressed with:

-Throttle delay when accelerating from a stop. The dealer says this is normal with electronic throttle control on all new vehicles but there may be additional delay with the turbo diesel.

-Engine idling #1. There is an inherent vibration at idle that is "normal". The dealer says this isn't an issue with truck buyers for the most part but has been an issue with Jeep buyers so they often opt for the gas model.

-Engine idling #2. The diesel rattle is at least as load outside the vehicle as my 2006 Duramax.

-Acceleration is good but a let down compared to my 2500 Duramax.

-Quite a bit smaller feel than my Duramax. Yes, this should be the case but when deciding whether or not to trade, it matters. I was hoping for a little bit of heavy duty feel.

-Payload and tow ratings were lower than a Toyota Tundra, according to the info from the respective dealers. Probably good enough for what I'll be towing but I was hoping for better.

Summary for my situation:

With the current discounts and rebates, this truck is a possibility. I think I'd be happy with it once I get used to being back in a half ton. The mileage is the most intriguing part of this vehicle to me, otherwise its tough to wrap my mind around spending a little over twice what my current truck is worth just to "update" but have reduced capabilities. The wild card is cost of ownership. I know I'll have repair costs with my 2006 over the next few years. I wouldn't with the RAM, especially if I leased it. I can get into a 36 month lease with enough miles for my purposes for about 25% more payment than my current used truck that I bought 2 years ago. I think over the next 36 months it would cost me less overall to lease the new RAM ED.

The Tundra is off the list for two reasons: 1) Too small of bed on the crew cab. 2) Mileage.

Chevy is falling off the list for cost. The mid-range half ton gassers are as much or more than the ED.

The Ford Ecoboost seems like a nice truck but I haven't looked at them any further than friends trucks. I want a bigger bed than theirs.

The more I think about the RAM, the more likely I feel like I might give it a try.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know. I haven't been to a Ford dealer yet but have logged miles on trips in friends short bed F 150s. Tonneau cover trucks - no topper. We've always managed our gear and a deer or two but I'm not the most efficient packer so I like a little more room. grin Plus that length can make or break laying somethings flat in the bed, tailgate up.

Until the RAM ED came on the market, I was saying I'd go Ecoboost if I went back to a half ton.

Lmit,

I haven't seen any follow up posts - did you get your truck? Any review you'd like to share?

I guess I forgot about this thread! 39 days from day of order to day of delivery. That's fast. Picked it up right before Thanksgiving. Laramie CC/SB.

I test drove a 2015 SLT with Big Horn package today. Nice truck. I didn't leave the dealership with visions of my new dream truck dancing through my head though. That would've cost another 20k to get that one! blush

What I liked:

-Nice, clean lines and comfortable interior.

I opted for the leather bench and really like it coming from a full console in my last four trucks. The arm rest/center seatback storage is adequate and I don't feel like I'm missing any storage by not having the full console. There seems to be storage pockets all over the truck for "stuff". I'm really liking the fold-flat floor in the rear and I think the dog does too.

-You can set the warm up program to automatically turn on the heated seats and steering wheel.

So nice in the winter. Add the remote start and it's a real treat. I usually turn off the heated steering wheel after a while because it gets so warm. As long as the outside temp is <40F the seats and wheel will turn on automatically (if you have it selected in the settings). I think the ventilated seats will be nice in the summer, too.

-Pretty cool dash and instrument cluster. I still don't know everything that was going on there!

Yeah, the radio is the hub for everything. All your truck settings are selected here. Lots and lots of options to choose from and it does take a while to get it set up the way you like it. Can't complain about options! I have the 8.4AN radio which has the navigation. Seems to work pretty good. There is also a SD card slot in the media hub located in the center arm rest storage. I put a lot of my CD's on a card and now don't have to carry CD's or sync my phone (which you can via Bluetooth) to listen to tunes. The Chevy never had any sort of integration with an iPod or phone so this is a nice feature.

-The dial gear shift on the dash (not sure if this is really a like yet).

I wasn't so sure about this deal either, but I'm getting used to it. The only scenario where I'd question this "feature" is when stuck and trying to rock your way out. After years of a column shifter it was natural to go from D-R-D without missing a beat. Might take some getting used to with a dial. Other than that it really has been a non-issue. Having Auto 4WD is nice around town. I missed that having a 3/4T for the last 10 years or so.

-No diesel exhaust smell! A big like there!

Just like all diesels with DPF's there is very little odor. As someone who is more traditional I miss the diesel smell.

-Quiet interior while driving. Very little to no engine noise.

Much more quiet than my '06 Duramax. The engine noise didn't bother me as much as the wind noise at highway speeds on that truck. The Ram is quiet.

-Pretty smooth ride over potholes.

Once again, going from a 3/4T to a 1/2T it's noticeable but not surprising. BTW, I didn't opt for the air suspension.

-Comfortable highway cruiser.

Very. I got the convenience package which includes auto windshield wipers, but I was surprised when they activated by road spray from other cars on the highway. Typically on a busy interstate you're constantly reaching for the wiper stalk to clean the road spray off the windshield but not anymore. Set the cruise, dial up your favorite SiriusXM channel and go. It's almost silly.

-Mileage readings tracked on the dash. I believe this truck can attain the real world claims.

Right now I'm not getting anywhere near the 27MPG which was on the window sticker, however I'm not rushing to judgement when we have crappy winter fuel and more idling time due to these temperatures. That's just what we have to deal with in this part of the country. I had one long highway trip over Christmas to ND and anything over 75mph and the MPG dropped a fair amount (near 20mpg). Hard to complain when you're doing almost 80 and getting that type of mileage with winter fuel. wink Once I was in occupied territory (MN) with a lower speed limit the dial ticked further towards 25mpg and it just hummed down the highway.

What I was less than impressed with:

-Throttle delay when accelerating from a stop. The dealer says this is normal with electronic throttle control on all new vehicles but there may be additional delay with the turbo diesel.

It does have a funny dead spot for a brief moment but I would place the blame on the ETC. It's not turbo lag. After it "engages" it will move out pretty good for a 3.0L diesel, I think. No, it's not the fastest truck in town, but that's in the garage stall beside it. grin

-Engine idling #1. There is an inherent vibration at idle that is "normal". The dealer says this isn't an issue with truck buyers for the most part but has been an issue with Jeep buyers so they often opt for the gas model.

Can't say that I've noticed any odd vibration other than the typical diesel vibration that tells you it's not a gasser.

-Engine idling #2. The diesel rattle is at least as load outside the vehicle as my 2006 Duramax.

You can definitely hear the tell-tale diesel rattle, but as I mentioned about the smell, I like it and wouldn't mind if it was a tad louder. When you're standing at the rear of the vehicle it is eerily quiet. Too quiet, IMO. My Duramax has an aftermarket exhaust that gives it a big-block rumble when idling that's all business. I kinda miss that.

-Acceleration is good but a let down compared to my 2500 Duramax.

Yep, not going to set the world on fire but the engine also quite a bit smaller in displacement and power too. I was actually thinking it would be more of a dog but was pleasantly surprised that it will move out fairly well considering the engine size.

-Quite a bit smaller feel than my Duramax. Yes, this should be the case but when deciding whether or not to trade, it matters. I was hoping for a little bit of heavy duty feel.

Not going to get that experience with the 1/2T package. Just because it has a diesel doesn't mean it is a replacement for a 3/4 or 1T chassis truck. The EcoDiesel is purpose built for mild towing duties comparable to a 1/2T gasser but with better mileage. If a buyer needs to tow large loads than this configuration isn't for them. I like that "big truck" feel too but I'm also liking the ability to maneuver around parking lots and not loosen the filings in my teeth when driving on the streets. I guess I'm just getting older! sick A decent set of aftermarket shocks might be in order to bring back some of that HD feel, though. The rear end seems a little squishy and wags/rolls a little more than my liking.

-Payload and tow ratings were lower than a Toyota Tundra, according to the info from the respective dealers. Probably good enough for what I'll be towing but I was hoping for better.

Like the last point, it's a 3.0L in a 1/2T chassis so it's not going to be towing houses like the Duramax, and you know that comparing a diesel to a gas is apples and oranges when it comes to towing, regardless of what the brochure numbers say.

The more I think about the RAM, the more likely I feel like I might give it a try.

So far after 1500mi I'm not regretting my decision. Oil changes are going to be spendy ($125+) but with a 10,000mi interval I'm not concerned. I still have my Duramax and know I need to sell it but I'm really having a tough time letting that one go. It's been a darn good truck. It was just time to upgrade and get a more reasonable truck for my needs.

The only things I miss with the Ram compared to the Duramax is the ride height and some of the off-road confidence I had with the taller 3/4T (the smell and the sound were a nice bonus too smile ). I'm really contemplating a front end leveling kit and more aggressive tires to get some of that back but know it will affect the mileage.

Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions.

There's more gears to downshift in the ED. That's the beauty of an 8-spd. wink

Well I wish it would use them and a lot quicker. My past GMC and Ford shifts after only loosing a few mph and not lugging the truck. Very nice truck no arguing that. I would also demand one built in the USA plant and not in Mexico. Then cross my fingers it was put together on a Tuesday-Thursday smile

Where did I say my buddy got one built in Mexico?

I just know it could be a possibility and it was an FYI for anyone reading this and going to buy a foreign Dodge to at least get one with the most money possible going to American Workers.

I read it as you were still talking about your friend's truck.

Regular cab trucks are built in Mexico. Not much of a reason to get your undies in a bunch, anyway.

Sorry more than just regular cabs are built in the Mexico plant. Checking the first number in the vin will tell you where it is assembled I believe, 1 is the USA, 2 is Canada, 3 is Mexico. Go ahead Limit continue with the name calling or what ever else you'd like to call it.

You're right, they do make more than regular cabs at the Mexico plant, however those are for worldwide sales.

For the United States market the regular cabs come from Mexico, and as I stated previously, a handful of chassis other than regular cabs came from Mexico as well.

You're right, they do make more than regular cabs at the Mexico plant, however those are for worldwide sales.

For the United States market the regular cabs come from Mexico.

That sure could be. I do believe that is only for the 1500 series (which we are discussing). I think though the 2500 and 3500 series any cab design has a possibility of being made in Mexico and sold in the USA but I'm not positive.

What percentage of dodge Eco diesel truck parts are American made? When you find the answer we can discuss wether it is foreign or not. I believe it to be a foreign made truck you do not, but when 50% or less of the parts are American made I'd call it foreign. 2014 and up half ton Chevy trucks are at 40% US parts content. I honestly don't know about the dodge Eco diesel, but since the motor is foreign, probably most of the electronics, transmission (I'm not sure). So its just a guess but I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

I bought a 14 RAM 1/2t. Tradesman, 4wd, regular cab,8 ft bed, Eco-Diesel in Oct. Right now 26-27 Mpg highway 22 pulling small fish house on blended fuel.The Tradesman comes with spray in bed liner ,back up camera, trailer brake, 8200# tow capacity. HAVE FUN