• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Zach Mettenberger

zepman

Change of pace a little...the Vikings meeting with him tomorrow either before or after his pro day. Many links, rumors, and draft speculators have him going to us with our 2nd pick. Either at 40 or trading up...

I'd be O.K. with this...he's a lot like Mallet from a few years ago. Big, tall guy with a rocket arm and very little mobility...the truest "pocket" passer in the draft.

His name has been linked to the Vikings more than any other QB in the last two weeks....

No thanks.

He seems like he locks onto one receiver and then cant look to the second third or fourth option. Once again he played with some really good talent around him. He might be worth it at 40, but no way before that. I think his receivers and line helped him look better than he is.

I would be more interested in Garappolo in 2 and Murray in 3.

I like Murray too...

But, after Mettenberger makes all the other QB's in this draft class look like JV throwers(even after an ACL surgery), we may all change our opinions.

Dude can throw the ball...doesn't leave the pocket...and he doesn't apologize for not doing so.

Character concerns big time early in his college career...seems to have outgrown them.

Great opportunity for the Vikes to take someone with lots of potential and still not blink twice if they need to take a QB in next years draft.

He might just be the next Viking QB.....

I had him pegged as the QB to draft way last year but he wasn't trendy enough for the rubes to lock on to. As usual once a qb is linked to him by a web article then people jump on board.

He does have the skill set for Turners offense.What we dont know is how much he is willing to do in the class room to separate him from the rest and to reach his potential. I just hope we dont draft Bridgewater.

I would be happy with Manziel, Bortles, or Carr. Anyone beyond that should be a late round pick, for a prayer.

Positions of need:

QB

LB

CB

RB

With QB, and LB being the most needed. Fill those 2 in the first 2 rounds, then add depth to the rest of the positions. I kinda liked how our back up RB's did last season, and I would like to see them get the nod to be a filler this season. CB, with our luck we need to add depth here. The Vikings could turn things around pretty good this year. I hate to jump into conclusions, but I could see them competing for the division this year.

A lot of that depends on our QB position though Scott. Not saying a rookie will come in and lead us to victory. But need one with enough kick to keep Cassell competing and watching his back so he can lead us this year at least.

Even if we draft a QB in the first round, I am hoping we dont see him play until next year. i think any rookie needs time to watch, and practice with the big boys, before being thrown into the big leagues.

Sounds like he had a decent pro-day...nothing spectacular but considering he had an ACL surgery in January...about as good as could be expected.

Another big, strapping QB moving up the boards is Savage (Pittsburgh). Same mold as Mettenberger and surely the Vikes have an eye on him too. Was first considered a late round prospect but now some feel he may go as early as the 2nd round.

I think the Vikes will take 2 QB's in this years draft...one early, one late. I was hoping Savage would be the late round choice but it seems that's unlikely now.

Aaron Murray shows his stuff later in the month...coming off an ACL, also.

Quote:

LSU QB Zach Mettenberger dined with four Vikings officials following his Wednesday Pro Day.

A league source told beat writer Ben Goessling that OC Norv Turner was "calling out routes" he wanted Mettenberger to throw by the end of his workout. Per Goessling, the Vikings are "believed to be high on Mettenberger," who is a classic, big-armed pocket passer in the Troy Aikman-Philip Rivers mold. Turner was Aikman's coordinator in Dallas, and Rivers' head coach in San Diego

Regardless of which QB the Vikings take and whatever round they take him at...It's at least nice to know they've spent the time to attend and watch each of the top QB's in this draft. The effort has been there. Most of the reports have the Vikings spending extra time with each one...either at dinner...a private work-out...or both. Spielman will listen to Norv on this call...it's Norvs call to make IMO.

I would love to guess which one they really like...can't do it. Manziel is the 'wild-card"...Mettenberger, too.

I'll say this...I think the Vikes pick one of the two...at any cost. I think they'll trade up for both if thats the "guy" they want...eithe JF in the 1st or Mettenberger later on.

Lots of mocks have JF falling to the Vikes...I don't see it. I can really see them trading into the 2 spot to get him....I don't think Jacksonville will pass on him given Gus Bradleys personality...JF and Gus would get along just fine....

Hahaha, Zep has always been a late night poster.

My only problem with saying it's Norvs call is he's only a coordinator and might only be here for a couple years when our next QB could be our guy for the next 10+ years.

If Norv is such a guru he should be able to make any decent QB we draft work in his system.

Lol!! I am a late night poster...always have been. My kids sports schedule and work keep me busy during the day and most evenings.

My hope is this...we need to STOP LOOKING FOR A QB. JF, IMO, is the only QB in this draft that will allow us to do just that.

So, for me anyway, just get it done...pay the price...cross your fingers...and select the young man from Texas A&M so we don't have to go through this B$ for another 10 years.

The "price" wouldn't be near what the Skins had to pay for RGIII either...

agree with zepman on getting "the guy"... If they really like any of the QBs, just get this over with - pay the price to get your guy. Regarding Mettenberger, I hate the idea of spending an early pick on a guy who is labeled "immobile". Can he be successful? Sure. However QBs who can extend a play behind the line of scrimmage come into the NFL with better odds of succeeding than those who are confined to the pocket. It's a craps shoot... all you can do is take the guy you feel is best equipped to succeed at the next level. All the top QBs in this draft class can throw the ball well... but which ones can keep cool and find a way to make a play with a 250lb NFL LB who runs a 4.40 in their face? Immobile can wait till the 3rd round IMO.

Immobile (Mettenberger) needs a far better front line than what the Vikes have had in recent years. Pocket passers won't last long in our current offense. Hopefully that will change this year.

agree with zepman on getting "the guy"... If they really like any of the QBs, just get this over with - pay the price to get your guy. Regarding Mettenberger, I hate the idea of spending an early pick on a guy who is labeled "immobile". Can he be successful? Sure. However QBs who can extend a play behind the line of scrimmage come into the NFL with better odds of succeeding than those who are confined to the pocket. It's a craps shoot... all you can do is take the guy you feel is best equipped to succeed at the next level. All the top QBs in this draft class can throw the ball well... but which ones can keep cool and find a way to make a play with a 250lb NFL LB who runs a 4.40 in their face? Immobile can wait till the 3rd round IMO.

REALLY???

How many of these guys are mobile?? Rodgers and Wilson are probably the only ones on this list. Scrambling maroons like JM usually mean a ceiling of a divisional playoff win.

SB 48: Russel Wilson; 75th

SB 47: Joe Flacco; 18th

SB 46: Eil Manning; 1st

SB 45: Aaron Rodgers; 24th

SB 44: Drew Brees; 33rd

SB 43: Ben Rothlisberger; 11th

SB 42: Eli Manning; 1st

SB 41: Peyton Manning; 1st

SB 40: Ben Rothlisberger; 11th

SB 39: Tom Brady; 199th

SB 38: Tom Brady; 199th

SB 37: Brad Johnson; 227th

SB 36: Tom Brady; 199th

SB 35: Trent Dilfer; 6th

SB 34: Kurt Warner; undrafted

SB 33: John Elway; 1st

Buck, yes. Really. Its about maximizing your odds of drafting a player who will succeed. Your odds of drafting the next Brady or Manning are 1 in a 1,000. Rothlisberger is as good at extending plays as anyone in the history of the NFL so Im assuming you misunderstood my take since you didn't list him next to Rodgers and Wilson... Take away Cam's, Kaep's, Rodgers' or Wilson's legs and they are not near as successful. Mobility is just another element that helps win. If Brady or Peyton were given the option of having legs like Andrew Luck, they'd do it and be that much better. If you are confined to the pocket you have one less tool than the qb next to you who isnt confined to the pocket. I didn't say take manziel... my take wasnt even directly geared towards this year's qb class. In general, I think its a mistake to take an immobile qb with an early pick. Unless of course you happen to know that said immobile qb has awareness like a Tom Brady... but like I said, accurately gauging pocket awareness is hard until they are being blitzed by the best athletes in the world. Immobile can wait till round 3.

If you define success as winning 10 regular season games go right ahead and draft one of these run around losers. I define success as winning it all. Ponder is mobile, Joe Webb is mobile, McNabb was mobile, T-junk was mobile, Culpepper was mobile, Randle Cunningham was mobile. How many NFC championships did we win with those guys??

The point is why reach for a decent pocket qb when they are a dime a dozen these days? You can get one in the third round. If you are going to reach for a qb at least reach for the guy with the highest upside. To say the ability to extend a play behind the line of scrimmage isnt a very important asset is ridiculous...

The point is why reach for a decent pocket qb when they are a dime a dozen these days? You can get one in the third round. If you are going to reach for a qb at least reach for the guy with the highest upside. To say the ability to extend a play behind the line of scrimmage isnt a very important asset is ridiculous...

Why do you say a pocket passer would have less upside? That doesn't make sense to me considering the most elite QB's in the league are just that.