• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Samsung Galaxy S4 replacement

My wife smashed her Samsung Galaxy S4 in the trunk of her vehicle today- the phone is trashed. It turns out she didn't get insurance for the phone when she got it, so now we're looking a Samsung Galaxy S4 that we can purchase WITHOUT a contract. Where can I find one at a good price?

Thanks!

the electronic bay would be my choice. Which carrier?

Looks like they go for 300 and up. Perhaps it would be cheaper to fix hers? How badly was it "smashed"? Cracked screen? Often damage can be repaired, many cities have guys that do that sort of stuff.

Even if it's more than just the screen, I'm guessing you will pretty much have the casing taken apart and most the guts right there to replace whatever. Unless it shorted out and who knows what needs to be replaced, even a new board and a new screen might be a cheaper option.

Having replaced a screen and a battery in an iphone myself, I'd almost rather pay to have it done. After the 15th impossibly tiny screw it gets pretty old. Lots of youtube vids to guide you along the way though.

My wife's LG G2 got a cracked screen and she sent it to LG for repair (since not under warranty, had to pay for it ourselves). You might be able to do the same with your samsung.

Otherwise, there are shops that will repair phones here in town. Usually they'll only do the popular phones (iphone, galaxy S4 are definitely on their lists, for the most part). Usually around 100 bucks will get you a screen replacement.

Or, you can do it yourself but that's not usually a fun task. Depends how much time you have on your hands.

It's not an S4, but the Best Buy Deal of the day happens to be a

Verizon Wireless Prepaid - Samsung Galaxy Legend No-Contract Cell Phone - Black for $65

It's an option, I know it's not an S4 ,but maybe this will make her check twice before slamming her phone in the trunk? smile

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I'll look into having it repaired and see what I can figure out.

It's an option, I know it's not an S4 ,but maybe this will make her check twice before slamming her phone in the trunk? smile

LOL- exactly! However, I'll let you put to her that way!!! laugh I've been giving her lots of flack about it- stuff happens...

Speaking of repair. Do phone manufacturers offer flat rate repair similar to Garmin does with their GPS units? I bought a Rino120 back in 2005 and about three years later I slipped on the ice while ice fishing and fell. My Rino was clipped to my pants pocket and I landed on it with my hip. The mother board cracked. A new Rino at the time was about $250.00 if I remember correctly but for $85.00 I sent it in and they either repaired it or replaced it and warranted it for 90 days. Quite a bit less costly than buying a new one.

the flat rate is prolly a few hundred $$ In my latest search for an Unlocked Galaxy S4 you are looking anywhere from $424 to $600 depending on size of the HD and the like.....how soon can she upgrade??????